GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 CPO fully loaded price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 01:58 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sal, it's great that you're doing a lot of research. I do the same thing with all my major purchases. Get all the info now so when you're finally ready to buy, you know exactly what you want and how you're going to buy it.

Sal, one thing that we recently learned at the last Northeast meet was that the DVD Navigation system in the 2002 and up Lexus GS had more features that the DVD based system in the 2001 GS. We also learned that it's not based on the DVD that's in the unit either, it's based on the software built into the system itself which cannot be upgraded. Simply puttin in the latest DVD will not give those additional features. In fact the 2001 system that was being compared to my 2002 had a newer DVD than mine.
Old 12-26-02, 02:04 PM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can buy the Lexus extended warranty through any Lexus dealer when you buy the car from a private buyer, as long as the basic warranty has not expired. It's basically a dealer installed option so any Lexus dealer can sell it to you.

If you want to save some money, check out your bank or crdit union for the extended warranty plan, it's usually a few hundred dollars cheaper. It's not from Lexus but offers the same protection and in some case, more, and it's called Mechanical Breakdown Insurance or something similar.
Old 12-26-02, 02:39 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a very valuable thread for me. Thanks... I'll look into the warranty with my bank.. I'm glad to know that I can extend the warranty at my local Lexus dealer, though..

I'm sad to hear that the navigation system changed from 2001 to 2002.. Can anyone name the changes? Is it really that big a deal? I would assume not.. But, I'm curious.. I don't use navigation now so it probably wont affect my decision anyway. And, ultimately, I could probably replace the unit at one point or another. Though I'd rather save $20k for the TT setup. Which I will certainly consider. But I guess that would be an 'after the warranty is over anyway' kind of thing... So not any time soon...
Old 12-26-02, 03:50 PM
kvoman
Driver

That was one of our concerns about the Nav system. If you want new information, you have to get new DVD, etc. That costs $$$ too, in the Bay Area, it seems every year, there are some new development with new roads, etc. so if you want up todate info, you'd have to get the new Nav DVDs all the time.

Also, if it goes kaput, there goes everything!!! Radio, heating/AC, etc. all the controls are on that display. There are just too many variables that we didn't care for with the Nav system.

We wanted to get the ML system only but that was a rarity. It seems all the GS430 in the Bay Area were only available with the ML & Nav combined as new so we had to settled for the base Pioneer Premium sound system.
Old 12-26-02, 04:03 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know - that blows about everything being hooked to the Nav.. I may want to go without it as well.. How's the Pioneer system? Is it bad?
Old 12-26-02, 04:31 PM
kvoman
Driver

The Pioneer system is pretty good but nothing compare to the ML. But then some say the ML is not that good either. It pretty much depends on your listening style and how expensive is your taste in music. We listen to easy listening, soft music, and classic so it's fine.

I think the ML has tighter bass and clearer highs on jazz and blues. If you're into the hip hop and other heavy bass music, I don't think the ML will do either. You'd probably have to go to the high end aftermarket like some have done on this board.
Old 12-26-02, 10:20 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my 2001 GS430 Black/black with ML, NAV Spoiler, HID Wood/leather wheel, 17' Chrome wheels, basicly loaded with 14,400 miles for $39,900 from a private party. The car was like new condition. My search took 4 months to find the exact car with the low mileage I was looking for.

I'm completely stoked

Last edited by jimxo; 12-26-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 11:31 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Just to clarify, when I said there were differences in the 2001 and 2002 navigation systems, it's with the on screen features and options not the data on the roads, points of interest, etc. At the meet we had my car side by side with a Canaan's (aka GS430 GUY) 2001 GS430 and the menus were different. What made everybody notice immediately was that on the 2002, the disclaimer screen that pops up when you start the car had options for English or French but the 2001 didn't. Actually Canaan had a newer DVD data disc than mine. He upgraded his and that didn't change the on screen options. Rumor has it that you can get the updated DVD for free by calling Lexus customer service. But now I'm wondering if there were any new features added for 2003.
Old 12-27-02, 11:45 AM
VI Rep
Driver

Question NAV/DVD QUES?!?!?!

Are you saying that the GS430's Nav unit plays DVD's like the GX470! I would really like to know becuase I did not understand why this was not done for the 02's and 03's. The technology is there and the price is high enough to include without that much price difference with the ML option. I would think that this would be real sweet and that lexus should incorpurate in the GS like the GX470 in not already done! JMO!
Old 12-27-02, 02:38 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Default Re: NAV/DVD QUES?!?!?!

Originally posted by VI Rep
Are you saying that the GS430's Nav unit plays DVD's like the GX470! I would really like to know becuase I did not understand why this was not done for the 02's and 03's. The technology is there and the price is high enough to include without that much price difference with the ML option. I would think that this would be real sweet and that lexus should incorpurate in the GS like the GX470 in not already done! JMO!
No it won't play DVD's. I'm just saying that the menus and features were different between the 2 model years. The DVD that I'm referring to is the DVD which contains the data for all the roads and points of interests. Obviously new roads are being built and new restaurants, hotels, gas stations etc are opening all the time or changing names. These additions and changes are made to the DVD data disc each year. Canaan had a newer DVD data disc in his navigation than mine but mine had more features.
Old 12-27-02, 05:15 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Before I decided to get the Navigation, I did some research into reliability and couldn't find ANY complaints or failures. Two dealer service depts told me that the system is very reliable. Ask others on CL, maybe they have had problems. IMO, the Pioneer sound system is not worthy of the Lexus. Both my GM cars with Delco Bose Concert Sound are clearly better. The ML is very good for some things and so-so for others, IMO, but definitely superior to the stock Pioneer. I haven't had the car long enough to have "mastered" the navigation, so I don't have any input on ease of use, flexibility, data base, etc. In regard to warranty, I was offered a CPO warranty on a 2002 with 11,000 miles for $1,000. As others have said, CPO is only valuable if the car is high mileage. I bought from an individual, and on my first trip into the Lexus dealer for L-Tuned installation, they offered me the extended LEXUS warranty. I haven't inquired about cost, but I will pass this on when I find out what it is. Also, on this job, they didn't have the car ready on time, so they gave me a loaner (new es300) to drive home to South Carolina from Atlanta dealer overnight, then they drove my car to me and swapped for the loaner the next day. So I guess if you get the right dealer, you get the same provileges as if you bought from them. Incidentally, I have never been treated better by a dealer when I was in for service than this Lexus dealer - Hennessy in Atlanta.

Last edited by dipstick; 12-27-02 at 05:19 PM.