GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 CPO fully loaded price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 11:22 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS430 CPO fully loaded price?

Hey all. Since you guys all seem to have a great idea of what a GS should cost - let me ask about the one I'm thinking of getting.. I'd like an '01 GS430 fully loaded with spoiler, 17" chrome rims, HID's, Navigation, Mark Levinson - all the goodies.. How much would this car cost me with average to slightly high mileage?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 12-24-02 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-24-02, 11:54 AM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices vary by the local market conditions and color of the vehicle. Black on black is usually the lowest price, white with tan interior is usually the highest price in the Bay Area.

Check out www.edmunds.com, and www.kbb.com, both have good pricing information that you can use to make an informed purchase decision. Edmunds has Fair Market Value that I have found to be true to our local market conditions.

Just as a comparison, there was a '01 black on black with 17", Nav, and ML with 32k miles for $42,500 a few months ago at a local Lexus dealer. The same dealer also had the exact same car with same features, except it was white with tan interior and it was going for $46,500 with 31k miles. This was around the time we bought ours back in April, so the prices may have come down since.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 12-24-02, 12:02 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thank you...

I'll be looking for Millennium Silver with as dark an interior as I can get - I guess that's the dark grey.. I'm buying mine next Winter, actually. I'm taking one last Summer to get the Vette out of my system and then going back to luxury for good.. Thank you for the links.. According to Edmunds, it looks as if I'll be able to find a nice '01 GS430 for around $35000.00 next September or so.. I only want $20k as a loan so I'll probably just sell the Vette for $10k and save about $5k.. I'm pretty anxious...
Old 12-24-02, 12:13 PM
kvoman
Driver

You'll probably find some good deals around then as the lease returns are coming back at that time.

If you can find a low mileage '01 from a private seller, you should consider it, since it'll still be covered under the Lexus factory warranty 4/50k basic and 6/70 powertrain. Plus the fact that you can probably work out a better deal with a private seller.
Old 12-24-02, 12:36 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

That's true, Kvoman.. Would I still be able to up the warranty at a Lexus dealer? I'd like to have a 100,000 mile warranty on my next car. I had it with my Eldorado and was very happy with that...

What advantage does CPO really give you?
Old 12-24-02, 12:48 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

...and... How come the Lexus website's "Build your own" doesn't give me the option for black leather? I only get the dark slate or something...
Old 12-24-02, 12:59 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Sal, the 01 GS430 in MilSil was available with black leather (at least, that's what I ordered mine with.........) so you should be able to find some around.

You may not be able to build one on the site simply because Lexus may no longer offer MilSil with black interior as one of the optional colors for the current model year......haven't looked but likely the case.

Good luck! And Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 12-24-02 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-24-02, 01:01 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.. If that's the case, then that's all the more reason I need to buy a used one.. I have the catalog here in front of me and that interior is just so damn nice looking. You know the one I'm talking about.
Old 12-24-02, 01:02 PM
kvoman
Driver

I don't think CPO really does not offer any advantage except for a peace of mind that you're buying something that Lexus mechanics have looked at and certified that it works as advertised. CPO Lexus vehicles usually have new tires as part of the CPO cost. CPO vehicles usually are higher in mileage (+40k miles). The two GS that I mentioned, was not CPO because the mileage was still low according to the salesman.

If you found one from a seller, you could also bring the vehicle to Lexus for a purchase inspection, pay an inspection fee, and you're golden. You could buy an extended warranty from Lexus or from one of the after market companies. We've extended warranties on our van through our credit union, it was 25% cheaper than getting through Honda. Probably same is true with Lexus/Toyota.

When we bought ours, we negotiated the asking price to a very fabvorable price. Got additional discount for new tires, had the seller serviced the vehicle at 21k miles (for a 22,500 miles), and a transmission fluid change before we bought it. Ours had 21k miles so we didn't have to worry about anything breaking down, everything was still under warranty. It didn't have an ailgnment issue so we didn't have to seller to get it align but if it did, we'd have the seller align the vehicle before we bought it.
Old 12-24-02, 01:51 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Sal, unfortunately that particular interior option does not routinely come with the car. Or maybe it is fortunate, since I'd like to stay married and I don't think wifey would have bought "She's just part of the option package!!" for an excuse........
Old 12-24-02, 02:15 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Default '01 gs430

I have just bought my 2nd '01 GS430 this year (sold the first one) and have lived on the internet -- cars.com, autotrader, ebay, etc. for the past year. I think by Sept. you can get a very clean low mileage (20-30k) like you're describing for 32-34k no problem if you look for the right bargain. Silver/black, in my opinion, is relatively common. Check the websites I listed above, and see for yourself. I have a 00 Vette convertible I am selling also (not a good seller's market). I have been in the market for over a year, and have a pretty good feel for pricing. Dealers will want 10-15% more than a fair price from an individual. If you want to discuss further on the phone, I can give you my number if you pm me. Good luck! and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-02, 10:39 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sal, I think I might have an old 2001 GS brochure sitting at home somewhere and I'll check to see what interior colors were offered with the Millenium Silver. I'm wondering how much extra you end up paying Lexus for a CPO car versus one bought elsewhere. If the price difference would be more than getting your own extended warranty through a company like Warranty Gold, then I'd get the car elsewhere. I'd get a CarFax report on the car before purchasing it and then get the extended warranty.
Old 12-26-02, 11:22 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Sam,

Yes, as you can see - I'm still doing lots of research.. I'll probably be doing this all the way up until September '03.. I definitely don't want to buy new.. But, I WOULD like to be able to leave my car at Lexus and have them deal with all the warranty nonsense AND get a loaner.. If this is still possible without actually buying a car from the dealer, then buying privately is still an option..

I don't have to have a CPO vehicle. But, I figured I'd get an idea of what one will cost as a worst-case scenario.. If an '01 CPO costs me $35k, I'll assume everything else will be less expensive...
Old 12-26-02, 12:34 PM
kvoman
Driver

Sal -

Yes, buying from a private buyer and if the car is still under factory warranty then you're still covered by the original Lexus warranty and if the buyer bought extended warranty, then you're even in better shape. To be on the safe side, register with Lexus when you get your car, if you've bought it from a private seller.

Caution - If you're buying from a private seller that bought the car as a CPO, then the warranty DOES NOT transfer to the next buyer!

From our research, a CPO vehicle will be higher on the average of $3-4k more than a non-CPO vehicle based on the same color, options, and mileage.
Old 12-26-02, 12:57 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you.. My next question is.. If I buy the car privately WITH warranty in tact, can I still extend that warranty with Lexus? The reason I ask is, I'd like a 100,000 mile warranty.. I don't HAVE to have it right when I buy the car, but I'd like it at some point.. The sooner, the less expensive too...

Quick Reply: GS430 CPO fully loaded price?