GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got scammed on a botched timing belt swap. Help? (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 08:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's a reputable shop, and they really did do all the seals. The next most likely thing that it could be is the VVTi o-ring. Very common for those to leak on these cars at higher mileage or if it is around 8-10 years old, which is pretty much the age of every 2GS.
Old 04-04-13, 08:38 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If it's a reputable shop, and they really did do all the seals. The next most likely thing that it could be is the VVTi o-ring. Very common for those to leak on these cars at higher mileage or if it is around 8-10 years old, which is pretty much the age of every 2GS.
This happened to me. The shop did the timing belt service. Cleaned the motor up. I go to pick it up and he tells me that the vvti gear is leaking and he needs to tear it back down to replace. I think it cost me an extra 300, somewhere around that. This was around 190k on a 99 gs300 2 years ago.
Old 04-04-13, 09:03 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deathsquad
Wow I guess it could be those two things as well. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to say unfortunately. How would I go about finding out?
Don't waste time and money by throwing parts at it. Get a fluorescent oil dye and pinpoint where the leak is coming from. The dye is less than $10.
Old 04-04-13, 09:30 AM
deathsquad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
The easiest way would be to clean everything up, replace the valve cover gasket and then drive. If the leak is gone you know what the culprit was. If it's still leaking then you're going to have to tear it down and inspect the new cam/crank seals. At the same time you may as well replace the O-ring on the VVT-i pulley.
I saw a youtube video showing how to do this and the shop advertised in the video a rebuild kit for doing so. Is this a common thing that you 2nd gen guys do? Sorry for being a retard, I've been a nissan buy for the past 8 years and know very little about 2JZs and VVTI stuff.
Old 04-04-13, 09:43 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See that guy a few posts up? JeffTsai <-- he's the guy who made the video you're referring to. I think this is becoming a more common thing to do since these cars are getting to the point where they need it. Most mechanics will not recommend this to you because their book tells them that the part is not rebuildable and they have no instructions on how to do so.

If you want to buy a rebuilt pulley from Jeff, you can. http://powerdynamix.com/store#!/~/pr...70&id=21961209
Old 04-04-13, 07:51 PM
deathsquad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
See that guy a few posts up? JeffTsai <-- he's the guy who made the video you're referring to. I think this is becoming a more common thing to do since these cars are getting to the point where they need it. Most mechanics will not recommend this to you because their book tells them that the part is not rebuildable and they have no instructions on how to do so.

If you want to buy a rebuilt pulley from Jeff, you can. http://powerdynamix.com/store#!/~/pr...70&id=21961209
Hah, what do you know, small world. Turns out that was your video Jeff. I showed it to my mechanic but he said he didn't want to be liable for putting in a rebuilt VVT-i gear and something going wrong. Can you guys point me into the direction of a place where I can buy a new gear? Can you buy them from chain auto part stores or m I going to have to go to the stealership? At Lexus or Toyota what is a fair prive to pay for a new gear?

I took my car to the shop again today and he said he's going to tear it back down, replace the timing belt for free and I told him I was going to replace the VVT-i gear/valve cover gasket as well from the advice I've gathered from you guys. I want to ensure that I don't have to go through this headache again.
Old 04-05-13, 04:47 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

New gear is approximately $200 from the dealer. Here's the part number 13050-46010
You can goto your local Toyota or Lexus dealer and order the part. Just give them that number. Your mechanic seems pretty legit if he is going to redo the whole job for free. I think you found a good honest local shop.

Also, once your old leaky pulley is removed send me an email. I want to get it from you, let me know how much you want.
Old 04-05-13, 10:57 AM
deathsquad
Driver School Candidate

New gear is approximately $200 from the dealer. Here's the part number 13050-46010
You can goto your local Toyota or Lexus dealer and order the part. Just give them that number. Your mechanic seems pretty legit if he is going to redo the whole job for free. I think you found a good honest local shop.

Also, once your old leaky pulley is removed send me an email. I want to get it from you, let me know how much you want.
Sounds good. Shoot me a PM with an offer.

What is a fair price to have him do the valve cover gasket?(taking into consideration we'll have a lot of stuff torn down already due to the other repairs he's doing)
Old 04-05-13, 12:40 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a similar issue to. the leak however was from my driver side VVTi sprocket gear, which was leaking. had the cam seals changed probably 3 times and still leaked. eventually, my tech saw the leak drip from the sprocket gear. changed that and no problems at all.

however, i will recommomend you change the timing belt since oil was saturated on it. given time and heat, the belt will crack and cause premature failure.