GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Gs300 Owner, Few Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 03:50 AM
sartain87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gs300 Owner, Few Problems

So i purchased a GS300 at the weekend after having a spell with a Volvo V70R, full service history, 1 owner 114k miles. The Lexus seems to be better in terms of MPG. But i have a few questions:

The pixels for the CD/Radio have gone, bit of a pain when changing CD, can this be repaired?

The multi changer seems to select what CD it wants, but til the display is repaired i guess i dont really know what im selecting?

Can hear the rear brakes when cold, maybe new pads?

Are there any common problems, or things to watch out for?

Where can i get up rated parts from?

Anyone have the newer style lights for sale?

Loving the car so far, but want to keep on top on maintenance i guess these can be expensive if they go wrong. The car needs a real good clean on the outside, bit of tidy up and i think the auxiliary belt need changing.

Thank you for all your help.
Old 04-18-13, 05:21 AM
PeteGS300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As regards to the CD/Radio I'd get a new aftermarket unit as it will sound a lot better and have modem functions such as iPod./mp3/etc.

Check the rear pads and replace if needed. Either use genuine Lexus/Toyota pads or a well known aftermarket brand.
Old 04-18-13, 05:58 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

?????

new headlights or taillights?

i would check ebay for the cheaper headlights or taillights

or you can go get oem ones kinda pricey
Old 04-18-13, 06:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sartain87
So i purchased a GS300 at the weekend after having a spell with a Volvo V70R, full service history, 1 owner 114k miles. The Lexus seems to be better in terms of MPG. But i have a few questions:

The pixels for the CD/Radio have gone, bit of a pain when changing CD, can this be repaired?

The multi changer seems to select what CD it wants, but til the display is repaired i guess i dont really know what im selecting?

Can hear the rear brakes when cold, maybe new pads?

Are there any common problems, or things to watch out for?

Where can i get up rated parts from?

Loving the car so far, but want to keep on top on maintenance i guess these can be expensive if they go wrong. The car needs a real good clean on the outside, bit of tidy up and i think the auxiliary belt need changing.

Thank you for all your help.
Read the Sticky's at the top of the forum. Instead of waiting to be spoon fed and ask redundant questions, read all of the sticky's at the top, then ask questions later. All of your current questions will be answered in great detail.
Old 04-18-13, 06:40 AM
sartain87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PeteGS300
As regards to the CD/Radio I'd get a new aftermarket unit as it will sound a lot better and have modem functions such as iPod./mp3/etc.

Check the rear pads and replace if needed. Either use genuine Lexus/Toyota pads or a well known aftermarket brand.
Guys thank you for the replys, i was told the standard head unit is the best option to go through on these, i guess that isn't the case? The sound on it isn't to bad, just the pixels annoying me at the moment.

Originally Posted by neegroy
?????

new headlights or taillights?

i would check ebay for the cheaper headlights or taillights

or you can go get oem ones kinda pricey
Sorry i guess, you guys call them the tail lights? I want the 2001+ ones, i have a 99/2000 model and all the breakers over here want silly money for them. I have found the aftermarket ones on eBay but if i can get standard equipment i'd prefer that.

Last edited by sartain87; 04-18-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 06:43 AM
sartain87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Read the Sticky's at the top of the forum. Instead of waiting to be spoon fed and ask redundant questions, read all of the sticky's at the top, then ask questions later. All of your current questions will be answered in great detail.
First off let me apologize, it wasn't til after i posted this i seen the sticky threads at the top. Im sure if a Mod on this site has a problem they will delete it or post it in the correct place?

Now if you have a problem with it you could of course ignore it and carry on with your day or be a little more polite about it., like i say i wasn't aware.

Have a lovely day though x

Last edited by sartain87; 04-18-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 06:46 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the search function on the forums. Theres a ton of DIY for common issues with the 2nd Gen GS. Ive done almost all of them to mine. Keep up the maintenance and 400,000miles on the odometer will not be hard to achieve, Im more than half way there...
Old 04-18-13, 07:41 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sartain87
First off let me apologize, it wasn't til after i posted this i seen the sticky threads at the top. Im sure if a Mod on this site has a problem they will delete it or post it in the correct place?

Now if you have a problem with it you could of course ignore it and carry on with your day or be a little more polite about it., like i say i wasn't aware.

Have a lovely day though x
How could you not have seen all of the sticky threads, but you were able to find the "New Thread" button that was directly above all of the sticky's. Hmmm...if you want to go with that logic proceed further. I wasn't being rude at all, I was just being direct. I apologize if I came off as rude, but I directed you to where the valuable soure of info was. I'm no where near an OG when it comes to these cars, but I see exactly why those guys don't even bother replying in threads like this because the questions are rather redundant.

Anyway, you have a lot to read, you will feel better once you have an understanding of your car instead of waiting for replies. I spent a full week reading all of the sticky threads on this forum and the suspension before posting questions.
Old 04-18-13, 08:41 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Welcome! I was going to say that you can find both of these items with relative ease in the classifieds, until I saw your location. With that said, your EDM Pioneer headunit is completely backwards from the USDM headunit.

I know I'm not being of much help, but welcome anyway!