GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Member - 2003 Lexus GS430 with 22" Diablo Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 05:00 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

^^FYI, in case you didn't know, you are sitting on a gold mine with those 17" chrome 5 spokes. They are very rare and to the best of my knowledge, were only made for the 98-00 GS 400's (real oem, not knock offs). IF you wanted to sale, you could easily flip if it you wanted too. It took me forever to find the set. I basically has to bug a member here constantly until he sold them to me lol. Money talks :^)
Old 04-22-13, 11:59 AM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely did not know that, thanks for the knowledge.

My car is currently at a shop now getting worked on ... dropping the suspension back down, tire balance and alignment ... I'm hoping I no longer have the shaking issue that I have seen some discuss here on the site. Then I can check on tires for those 17s and possibly the air ride.
Old 04-22-13, 12:16 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah man im not tooo sure on the DUECE DUECe LOL looks good but not that good. +1 on the stockies && welcome!
Old 04-22-13, 12:27 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome to CL!!!
Old 04-22-13, 04:02 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

I just had the tires balanced today and it rides so smooth now ... hardly any shake at all. But still not able to lower the suspension back down without fear of popping the front passenger side tire ... so I'm thinking I might sell them and drop to 20's....tires for the stocks is next though.
Old 04-22-13, 04:36 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dMartin
I just had the tires balanced today and it rides so smooth now ... hardly any shake at all. But still not able to lower the suspension back down without fear of popping the front passenger side tire ... so I'm thinking I might sell them and drop to 20's....tires for the stocks is next though.
That would be a good idea, u never go 3" above your OEM rim size(ride quality and cornering), and yes those 17" are like gold, u have the nicest ones I've seen....
Old 04-22-13, 04:56 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much ... I'm searching for tires now ... For previous cars, I've bought Michelin Primacy and they've always been fine. I'm just wondering if maybe I should step out a bit and get something else, possibly for better performance. any suggestions?
Old 04-22-13, 05:37 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

and some new pics ...

Old 04-22-13, 06:40 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If thats the look your going for there is a dub style section under special interest group but nobody has posted since dec 2012 in there.
Old 04-22-13, 06:50 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dMartin
You said you like them and that you're gonna keep them... so KEEP THEM! Dont let a forum change your style. I got a LOT of crap for my 22's, but I held my ground. I'm proud of what I've done and wont ever change. I get tempted cause our car's look great they way everyone does it, but just that... EVERYone looks the same. I like different and will always speak it

What problems are you having that are making you want to drop size? I've been on 22x9.5's and bagged for 6 years with no problems. I'll tell you though, takes a bit more effort to achieve certain goals, but you know what... You get respect for it and THAT my friend is much better than acceptance and jumping on the bandwagon. People still talk poo and beg me to switch, but that just fuels me to keep rolling on '2's
Old 04-22-13, 06:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
That would be a good idea, u never go 3" above your OEM rim size(ride quality and cornering), and yes those 17" are like gold, u have the nicest ones I've seen....
When I put my 22's on, my handling is MUCH better than my 20's or my stocks or any other wheels I put on. I feel MUCH safer on my 22's than when I ride stock. As for cornering, well, I dont have to turn a corner at 100mph for any reason, so invalid argument.
Old 04-23-13, 12:11 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

Lol. Mr Jokster, I'm definitely not changing because of what anyone here said ... I just never came across anyone who felt that strongly against them until now so I was kind of confused by it.

The reason I said I was going to drop back down is because with the 22s, I HAVE to have the suspension raised, in at least the front, because if I lower it, the tires will be rubbing against the springs and it will probably pop it. FYI, last year my front passenger side tire blew out on the highway and it was because the spring popped it after hitting a slight bump.

So that's why I'd want to drop to 20s or even go back to the stock 17s, just less maintenance and I wouldn't have to worry so much while driving. Also, it would be faster Lol. Those wheels are heavy.

I do appreciate the support though. I will have a hard time letting them go.
Old 04-23-13, 12:45 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think all mods are good looking, its all personal taste and that's what matters. The only reason why i think anyone should ever go with other people "likes" is if you were entering a contest or something. Clublexus is a good source of DIYs and good suggestions/advices, unfortunately, it isn't good for criticism/opinions on styles other then VIP/STREET/RACE. There's only a hand full of those who respects mods that are outside the box. Either way, use the forum for good information that will benefit yourself. Welcome to the boards!
Old 04-23-13, 01:15 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks BBRolex! Not trying to ruffle feathers here ... I'd love to get more into the street/race aspect as well. I honestly just don't know much about cars/mods/performance.
Old 04-23-13, 01:57 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Like most people have said, I am digging the car, but the wheels are among the most undesirable I have seen to date.

I think your car would look great with the stock chrome 5 stars with a 25mm front spacer and 30mm rear to put them flush with the fender.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: New Member - 2003 Lexus GS430 with 22" Diablo Wheels