GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Gen GS Rep TTE Front Lip For $109.98 Shipped!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 09:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=KingNasGS4;8218974]Welp. Had my front bumper painted and got the body man to paint and Mold it for me...

Looks good KING... guess i missed your post lol....
Old 01-16-14, 09:26 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've picked up another one. I'll try fitment over the weekend.
Old 01-27-14, 09:41 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine arrived in a TORE UP box last week. The box was really damaged and re-taped somewhere in-transit. I took some pics and then opened it up to see what happened to the lip.

Pretty much nothing. It was fine.

The quality of the lip is probably about a 6 or 7 out of 10. I've ordered genuine JDM aftermarket stuff before (for other cars) that is really high quality. This is not that. But for the cost, it's fine.

You have to hack off the 3 tabs on the lip pictured earlier in this thread. They are definitely in the way. Once they're off, you can test fit.

Get your heat gun out. You'll need it.

I highly recommend taking your front bumper off to do this. It makes it so much easier than laying on your back the whole time.

I used some clamps to hold the lip to the bumper and then took note of where the fitment was poor. Then I'd remove the lip, heat up those areas and form them into the shape I wanted while it cooled. It responds very well to this treatment. Bottom line, it's quite easy to bend this thing back into shape to fit your bumper nicely.

Mine only came with 2 self-tapping screws to mount it. I LOL'ed and got my box of fasteners out. I decided to use 4 total self-tapping screws along the bottom and 3M body molding tape along the top/front portion. The lip is not going anywhere without taking the bumper with it, now.

Since my bumper is in really bad condition (highway rash) I decided to DIY the paint.

• Scuff with Scotch Brite
• Clean with prep spray and a clean, lint-free rag
•Prime (1 coat)
•Black Laquer spray (3 coats)

That's it. No wet-sanding or clear coat. It looks good enough for a quick job. I plan on getting the entire front bumper re-sprayed in the spring.

Old 01-27-14, 11:13 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Lookin' good, Steve.
Old 01-27-14, 03:10 PM
Mr.Stussy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I need to put a front lip on my car, Ive been lagging on buying a lip.
Old 01-27-14, 03:33 PM
GSsportD
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find and looks good too.
Old 02-17-14, 08:57 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Well. That didn't last long.

I'm not 100% when it happened. But my lip already broke. I was installing all new front fender liners this weekend because my original ones were shot. As I was under there I realized that the driver's side of my lip was kind-of loose. Upon further inspection I realized that the part where it was screwed to the bumper had completely fractured off.

So I had to remove the lip. I'm keeping it so that I can epoxy it on when I get the bumper repainted this summer. I don't think I'll have to worry about stress fractures once it's epoxied.

I think it happened on Saturday night. The wife and I went to dinner and the parking garage where we parked had a very steep transition on the ramp to go to the 2nd level. (Damn those valets for taking the entire ground floor!) I did hear it rub ever so gently but I didn't hear any pops or cracks. That's the only time I can imagine that it may have broken since it's the only time, since installing it, that I noticed it making contact with anything.

Oh well. Cheap experiments often go this way, I suppose.
Old 09-21-14, 04:32 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

I tried commenting on this thread when it first started but my computer restarted on me and I was to pissed to start all over again, anyhow a short version of what was quickly said; The one I purchased after my real TTE got smashed in a accident, didn't come with any tabs but came with the metal brackets. After hitting it with a head gun, and sanding just a tad bit of the insides of where the lip begins it's bends around the bumper, I sanded down the outsides as if I were going to mold it but didn't sand it that much, just clean up look that even the real TTE's have as well, it's my a little of me making it a little less subtle nothing huge. Anyhow, used the metal brackets which seem to sound like the ones you guys are cutting off, used some windshield glue, fitment was god dam on the money perfect, no gaps, flush around the entire bumper. I took it off because I was going to then get it painted but haven't since lol..... Might just sell it kinda over the TTE.... Badge this one up, I'd fool anyone until they maybe felt it, cuzz they sure as hell ain't getting under my car to check that's for sure... Hahaha if you live where I drive....believe me, OG TTE or not, the roads here don't give a shi*.... And now neither do I... Eventually you'll be saying good bye... And when time comes, hope it wasn't $500...
Old 09-21-14, 08:02 PM
komar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine too arrived with the metal brackets.
Body shop installed it after paint with a little heat.
I was unhappy with his install so I redid it at home that night. A few adjustments to the placement of the center and sides was all it needed. Some more heat and alcohol for proper adhesion and I have not looked back.

That was about 4 months ago.

While driving to work a couple of weeks ago I ran over a blown tire from a semi truck. Smack right on the passenger fog light area. A little goof off and some wax the tire marks were gone. The lip had zero damage I was very impressed with the paint install and durability of the product. I have a spider mark on the bumper so I know it was a pretty good impact.
Old 09-22-14, 05:19 PM
boostedsi
Driver

I just got this same lip aswell off amazon for like 95 bucks or something. Test fit isn't that bad at all and honestly for the money you can't go wrong !
Old 09-23-14, 02:30 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by komar
Mine too arrived with the metal brackets.
Body shop installed it after paint with a little heat.
I was unhappy with his install so I redid it at home that night. A few adjustments to the placement of the center and sides was all it needed. Some more heat and alcohol for proper adhesion and I have not looked back.

That was about 4 months ago.

While driving to work a couple of weeks ago I ran over a blown tire from a semi truck. Smack right on the passenger fog light area. A little goof off and some wax the tire marks were gone. The lip had zero damage I was very impressed with the paint install and durability of the product. I have a spider mark on the bumper so I know it was a pretty good impact.
Nice those metal brackets are money huh, I could have easily purchased the one with the built in brackets to Luckly I didn't... I'm telling you, my shi* fit like a dam glove after just a bit sanding lightly in a few spots. No insane gaps AT ALL like some of these LOLOLOL!!!! I wouldn't even keep that garbage on if it fits like ******, better off just giving it your best shot at learning how to do some body work lol. It's only $90..... You destroy it big woop, order another hoping it fits better, and learn from your mistakes from the other... I can buy two of these lips, paint both, smash the hell out of them if so happens.... And still won't cost me as much as I paid for my first TTE... It's not a matter of what's authentic and what's not in this case, one doesn't serve anymore of a purpose than the other, if it was a replica mechanical part that actually served a performance gain, I'd be reluctant to purchase, but this is a part that's nothing more then cosmetic.... It's more along the lines of "Work smarter, not harder" type of things hahaha just an analogy... Relax peope
Old 03-23-15, 07:08 PM
vee8GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just checked out the link like 5 min ago. its on sale for about $93. not bad price at all!

thanks to you guys that have posted pic; they are extremely helpful.
Old 03-23-15, 09:20 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I paid $89 shipped for mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370911935751?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-24-15, 07:20 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS-F
How's the fitment?
Old 03-24-15, 09:13 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't installed it yet. I need to vinyl wrap it before installing it.