GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ML problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 03:48 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ML problem?

I have the ML sound system in my 2001 GS430, a few days ago I started the car and the radio blasted for a split second and then the rear speakers cut out. No problem I know this is a default feature to safe guard against any serious damage, however I had the radio turned down very low before I shut the car off

Now here's the strange thing I shut the car off and re-started the engine to reset everything but the radio adjustments (Base, Treble Mid range) were all screwed up

I attempted to reset them but the touch screen would not bring up the Base, treble or range for anything. Thr green light that would normally move up and down and you press the controll was non-exsistant I waited and played with the Base and a few minutes later I was back in business, then a few minutes after that the Treble came back and eventually the Mid range-WTF?

I making an appointment with the dealer to have this checked and another small fix but I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

Last edited by jimxo; 01-02-03 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 04:19 AM
gsexploits
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I have had similar odd things happen with my 2001 GS 430 ML system. Things like the CD AND Radio playing over the speakers at the same time - and no matter what I would do, the CD would continue to play (AM,FM, Tape).

Also, I have had similar things happen to my NAV where the touch screen stopped working all together.

Interestingly enough, when I turned the car off and came back to it the next day, everything was back to normal after the car went through its power up diagnostics (which is why it takes so long to crank the 430 as I understand it).

Only other problem is that I lost my amp (it overheated and failed). This may result in the same problem you are having with volume going up and down or not maintaining where it was last, that is somewhat the same as what happened to me. If you are under warranty I would have them look at the amp as well. Obvisouly this is a disappointment given the premium we paid for the ML set up...

Good luck - hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-02-03, 06:39 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I believe that there is a TSB on this one. Lexus has replaced some ML amps for this reason, apparently w/o recurrence of the problem. Take it to the dealer; they shouldn't act surprised.............
Old 01-02-03, 07:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, some of the early ML amps (which is also the brain) had some issues...I had mine replaced and I haven't had a single problem since...
Old 01-02-03, 03:27 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

same problem here too... take it in and have them replace it under the tsb. no problems since.
Old 01-03-03, 12:01 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

Hey, not trying to be a smart-***, but it's bass.
Old 01-03-03, 12:28 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Originally posted by dipstick
Hey, not trying to be a smart-***, but it's bass.
So it is
Old 09-03-11, 04:59 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimxo
I have the ML sound system in my 2001 GS430, a few days ago I started the car and the radio blasted for a split second and then the rear speakers cut out. No problem I know this is a default feature to safe guard against any serious damage, however I had the radio turned down very low before I shut the car off

Now here's the strange thing I shut the car off and re-started the engine to reset everything but the radio adjustments (Base, Treble Mid range) were all screwed up

I attempted to reset them but the touch screen would not bring up the Base, treble or range for anything. Thr green light that would normally move up and down and you press the controll was non-exsistant I waited and played with the Base and a few minutes later I was back in business, then a few minutes after that the Treble came back and eventually the Mid range-WTF?

I making an appointment with the dealer to have this checked and another small fix but I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

Hey bro- sorry to dig up your old thread here...but I could REALLY use your advice on this. I am having the EXACT same problem. (the MID and TREBLE are missing usually, or at least just the MID line and the green light)

NO SOUND at all. It was coming on/off and making a popping sound, etc.
It would also just come on at FULL VOLUME then go off immediately after.

What did they end up doing to get your '01 GS430's ML speakers working again?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any input on this