GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Yes ANOTHER possible GS300 owner here

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 06:29 PM
luvzdogz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes ANOTHER possible GS300 owner here

Hello! My name is Karen and I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm very happy to be here as I've been a "lurker" and reading your knowledgeable posts and enjoying them. I am considering purchasing a 2003 GS300. Presently I own a 1996 Volvo 960 which I will be selling and a 2002 BMW Z3, which I will be keeping. I have also considered purchasing a BMW 3-series and was wondering if any of you, before purchasing your Lexuses (or is it Lexi?) had considered purchasing a 3 -series and why you opted for the Lexus. (At this point I am leaning towards the Lexus)

I would also really like to see a blue onyx with a black or gray interior and the dealers are telling me it is being manufactured on a limited basis - what's up with that?

Thanks, and I'm happy for any info you can give me.
Old 01-02-03, 06:40 PM
LexFather

From my understanding, people picked the GS 300 over the 3 for the added space and luxury. Top notch reliability tops it off. The 3 is sportier stock vs stock but the GS can be made to handle just as well. The GS has features that the 3 does not offer as well.

Welcome to ClubLexus!
Old 01-02-03, 07:10 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome!

Karen,

welcome to CL! I briefly contemplated getting a 5 series but just couldn't deal with paying so much more for what I felt was less luxury. With a few tweaks and a few $$ my GS is right where I wanted it to be out of the box. (well except for the 6sp, but that's another story). I don't think you can even compare the GS to the 3 series..the GS is sooo much more car. You won't regret it, you'll pamper yourself in the luxury of it and enjoy the reliability of it over the 3 series. The Blue Onyx is awesome, I'm planning on getting my GX in that color. Someone at our NY meet had one with black interior from far away the car looked black, but not really...hard to explain but I liked it.
Old 01-02-03, 07:35 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Welcome, Karen.

In light of what the gentlemen above have stated, I too looked at the 3-series before picking up my GS3. It just seemed like a better buy overall. The other thing besides the styling that turned me on to the GS was the room it has. The 3 is more sized for what I jokingly call a "girl's car" since it is so narrow.

After buying my GS I soon discovered that these cars are practically bullet-proof from a reliability standpoint......which is a HUGE bonus. They also wait on you hand and foot at the dealership when in for service, even if you bought the car somewhere else!!!

One more thing (then I'll shut up)............................................................EVERBODY AND THEIR MOTHER has a BMW!!!

Go Lex, U won't be sorry. Good luck!

Eric

Last edited by ebruce2; 01-02-03 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-03, 07:55 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ebruceii
Welcome, Karen.

In light of what the gentlemen above have stated, I too looked at the 3-series before picking up my GS3. It just seemed like a better buy overall. The other thing besides the styling that turned me on to the GS was the room it has. The 3 is more sized for what I jokingly call a "girl's car" since it is so narrow.

After buying my GS I soon discovered that these cars are practically bullet-proof from a reliability standpoint......which is a HUGE bonus. They also wait on you hand and foot at the dealership when in for service, even if you bought the car somewhere else!!!

One more thing (then I'll shut up)............................................................EVERBODY AND THEIR MOTHER has a BMW!!!

Go Lex, U won't be sorry. Good luck!

Eric
That could not be more true...And not just any BMW, but specifically the 3-Series.

The new face-lift they gave the 3-Series makes it look too feminine for my tastes. The GS, on the other hand, appears muscular and will kick your *** if you give it a funny look.

Last edited by SecPole14; 01-02-03 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 12:14 AM
andyray
Driver School Candidate

I have a GS300 and my wife has a E46 3-Series coupe. The bottom line is that they are two different cars, apples and oranges.

Here's some observations....

The GS is much more comfortable. The BMW seats (either the sport seats or the regular seats) don't compare to the lex.

The GS has much better reliability and service. The car just works. The BMW has not had any serious issues, but it's had enough little ones to make me scratch my head and grin when someone refers to "german precision".

The handling on the BMW is much better, especially with the performance package. However, if you get L-Tuned shocks and springs (~$500) and aftermarket sways (~$500) on the GS, you can start to give the BMW a run for it's money.

I also agree that the GS is definately more unique....
Old 01-03-03, 03:10 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

If you want the best of both world, go for the 5 series...

I agree with all the things everyone said so far...

As for my 3series, so far no problem yet...but then, it only got 5000 miles....knock on wood...

Last edited by davezaristo; 01-03-03 at 03:12 AM.