GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Donuts in the GS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-03, 06:06 AM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Donuts in the GS430

I don't know how many of you GS400/430 owners do this... but I have a question about wear from donuts. As I'm sure many of you know, you can turn the VSC off, turn the wheel completely one way, floor it... and simply spin in circles going nowhere and doing nothing but laying down thick black rubber and lots of thick white smoke as long as you want. I know this is obviously wearing the tires badly, but what about the rest of the car? Does the car's differential or anything else getting worked really hard/damaged when you do this? I am not talking about going around a corner and getting the back end to slide around with VSC off.. I am talking about going to an open parking lot and going into complete spins where the back end of the car is basically walking around the front end into 360's, then straightening out with the wheels still spinning a bit, and then quickly tossing the car into an opposite 360 spin donut. I know I wear my tires horribly on my GS430 when I do this as I can see a super thick layer of super black tire all over the parking lot... those can be easily replaced.. but what about everything else?

I am going to post some videos of this pretty soon. I went through the factory set of tires on the GS430 doing this. I was just so excited to be able to do that since my GS300 can't.. I guess I showed a few too many friends... I've cut back to about once every two or three months now

Last edited by JeromeBaker; 01-03-03 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-03-03, 10:48 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA great post.
Old 01-03-03, 11:07 AM
Lvangundy

I have this habit too.

Wear on the engine/body parts does probably occur more than when you drive 'normally'. As in not constantly flooring it and doing burn outs and donuts.
Old 01-03-03, 12:55 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I want to see videos!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-03, 02:45 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mcnelson
I want to see videos!!!!!!!!!
Me too.... Where's the vid's Jerome???
Old 01-03-03, 03:22 PM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Default Videos are coming

I know i know... i get the slight inkling that i may 'beat the crap' out of my GS430 a little more than they average owner (if you wanna call it that, i say spirited driving). Maybe it's because I am just nutty about cars and horsepower. I can NOT make myself drive the speed limit, I have absoloutly no control over my speeding, it's insane.. been this way all my life. Anyone else like that? It doesn't matter if I am in a kia or a lexus I take it to red line whenever possible... just a bad habbit i guess.

anyway, i will get the videos up ASAP because I am sure many of you 430 owners would love to show your friends what the car can do in stock form, without actually having to do it.. it's actually quite impressive for such a heavy car (Even my buddies 1994 stock Mustang GT can't put down as much rubber before the engine boggs down and the tires catch the pavment). I don't have any videos of this, and don't know anyone with a digital video camera (at least not that i know of) .. but I can get a VHS camcorder...can I rip a VHS clip to .mpg or .avi? any good software or anything someone could point me to? Maybe I will just have to post some still shots for the time being... the car is almost invisible in the smoke my friends say, i'm sure a still shot would look great.

Last edited by JeromeBaker; 01-03-03 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 03:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Videos are coming

Originally posted by JeromeBaker
I know i know... i get the slight inkling that i may 'beat the crap' out of my GS430 a little more than they average owner (if you wanna call it that, i say spirited driving). Maybe it's because I am just nutty about cars and horsepower. I can NOT make myself drive the speed limit, I have absoloutly no control over my speeding, it's insane.. been this way all my life. Anyone else like that? It doesn't matter if I am in a kia or a lexus I take it to red line whenever possible... just a bad habbit i guess.
I'm the same way.. That's the reason why I couldn't get the 430.. My insurance company can se me coming from 10 miles away.. But yes every car I'm in I seem to be always speeding.. You'd think after I totaled several cars at high speeds I'd have learned my lesson... But it seems to sneak right back up on ya and then your pushing 120....
Old 01-04-03, 03:39 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Ask Paul the Regional Rep to give you a tire discount. Just kidding Paul if you are out there.
Old 01-04-03, 07:37 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Donuts in the GS430

Originally posted by JeromeBaker
...I know this is obviously wearing the tires badly, but what about the rest of the car? Does the car's differential or anything else getting worked really hard/damaged when you do this?
Probably not much extra wear except obviously on the tires, and maybe the transmission. From the factory, your differential is open, so spinning the tire is not causing much additional wear if any since the open diff is designed to allow just that.
Old 01-05-03, 11:22 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know its hard to do...but if you have the need to redline, that is one bad habit you need to correct real soon!

No matter how good of a driver you are, you are putting yourself at high risk.

Check out this link:

crashes

How many speeding tickets have you gotten so far? (just a matter of time too I guess)

I dont wish this stuff on anyone, but if you're a habitual speeder, its unfortunately a matter of time before one or the other situations catches up with you.

Enjoy your luxury car on the roads...maybe time to invest on a race car for the track (and get your need for speed taken care of in that controlled environment).
Old 01-12-03, 04:16 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Where are the videos???
Old 01-28-03, 04:43 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default good point

Originally posted by GS4fun
I know its hard to do...but if you have the need to redline, that is one bad habit you need to correct real soon!

No matter how good of a driver you are, you are putting yourself at high risk.

Check out this link:

crashes

How many speeding tickets have you gotten so far? (just a matter of time too I guess)

I dont wish this stuff on anyone, but if you're a habitual speeder, its unfortunately a matter of time before one or the other situations catches up with you.

Enjoy your luxury car on the roads...maybe time to invest on a race car for the track (and get your need for speed taken care of in that controlled environment).
although a parking lot is different then speeding. i think thats when you know your getting old, i still open it up here and there, but driving like a maniac isnt cool onp public streets. sorry to sound like a public service anouncement. but we only live once?