GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

IS 300, GS/ES 300 or LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 02:38 PM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 300, GS/ES 300 or LS 430

So I'm looking to upgrade from my 2002 Saturn SC2. I'm in the market to spend about 6-12K. I drive 30K miles a year and spend most of the time on the highway. I'm trying to decide between an IS 300, GS 300/ES 300 and the LS 430. Can anyone tell me the biggest differences. I realize the IS 300 is a smaller and more sporty care but I really don't know the differences between the GS/ES models and then the LS 430. What car would you choose if you were around 40, in sales and drove 30-40K miles a year? and why.

Thanks,

Chad
Old 06-02-13, 02:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL.... If it were me and i was in sales i would want the GS300... Both 300/400/430 roughly have the same MPG but of course the GS400/430 is faster and a V8.. Clients may not like the V8 rumble and the Gs300 is equally nice.. You can make subtle mods if your in to that or leave it stock.. Plus the GS is larger compared to the IS300.. The LS430 is another great car for you and your clients.. I've read that the LS is a different ride more on the softer side instead of the sportier GS. In the end its up to you but most here will probably pick the GS...

There's some nice GS's in the CL classifieds with mostly if not all maintenance done including the expensive timing belt.. Those are some options as well... GL
Old 06-02-13, 07:18 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The IS 300 is somewhat small and is the entry model sedan. Being such, the features you will find on it are not quite as nice as those on the other cars. You've got single zone climate control, a single automatic power window, and other shortcomings.

The ES 300 is based on a Camry, it sells a lot more than the other models and being based off of the Camry is front wheel drive. It's a little bigger and has some better features than the IS, but is still a lesser model.

The GS is a large car and has plenty of room for passengers. The features are better and include dual zone climate control, all automatic power windows, 10-way power heated seats, and so on.

The LS is the top of the line sedan and is quite large, but it is centered around comfort and has all the features of the GS plus more, generally with increased focus on rear seat passengers compared to other models.

Personally, I was originally looking at replacing my DD with an ES, mostly because most of them were in my price range, but a good deal on a GS 300 (what I really wanted) popped up and I went and got it. They'll all get the job done, but I like the GS for its wide range of features and good mix of driving characteristics. Aside from suspension wear issues, they're also very durable cars. My GS is about to hit 280k miles and doesn't have any major problems.
Old 06-02-13, 08:24 PM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iToaster
The IS 300 is somewhat small and is the entry model sedan. Being such, the features you will find on it are not quite as nice as those on the other cars. You've got single zone climate control, a single automatic power window, and other shortcomings.

The ES 300 is based on a Camry, it sells a lot more than the other models and being based off of the Camry is front wheel drive. It's a little bigger and has some better features than the IS, but is still a lesser model.

The GS is a large car and has plenty of room for passengers. The features are better and include dual zone climate control, all automatic power windows, 10-way power heated seats, and so on.

The LS is the top of the line sedan and is quite large, but it is centered around comfort and has all the features of the GS plus more, generally with increased focus on rear seat passengers compared to other models.

Personally, I was originally looking at replacing my DD with an ES, mostly because most of them were in my price range, but a good deal on a GS 300 (what I really wanted) popped up and I went and got it. They'll all get the job done, but I like the GS for its wide range of features and good mix of driving characteristics. Aside from suspension wear issues, they're also very durable cars. My GS is about to hit 280k miles and doesn't have any major problems.
Nice post. That will save me hours of research.

Does the IS come in upgraded models or are they pretty much all the same? Are the GS and LS the same size car? Is the biggest difference between the GS and LS just more options on the LS? More luxury?

Thanks,

Chad
Old 06-02-13, 11:22 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

IS is pretty basic and cramped. the straight 6 is pretty under powered and guzzles a lot of gas for what it is. If I was to do a lot of driving like you said I would go for LS for sure. and I would think the V8 would get better mileage than the 6 on highway because it has more power. my car barely goes over 2k rpm on my daily driving. it shifts at around 1.8k rpm. ALSO you get way more sound deadening on the GS and even more on LS so it will be dead quiet to make long drives more bearable.
Old 06-03-13, 05:47 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah man id get the ls too if i didnt have my gs already lol. 1st off the ride should be way more comfortable than the gs or the is. 2nd well the ls itself is a big boss car you know hahahah
Old 06-03-13, 10:55 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snydely
Nice post. That will save me hours of research.

Does the IS come in upgraded models or are they pretty much all the same? Are the GS and LS the same size car? Is the biggest difference between the GS and LS just more options on the LS? More luxury?

Thanks,

Chad
The IS are pretty much all the same. It has a few options that are ok like navigation, heated seats (most have them), and full leather, but it's nothing particularly great. The LS is about 6 inches longer than a GS and 2 inches wider than a GS, so not the biggest difference, but most of that space goes to rear legroom. As others have said, the LS has more sound deadening, but it's not like the GS lets a lot of noise in anyway. The LS gets all the cool new technology (e.g. parking assist) optional before it filters down to the other models, so that's something to consider.
Old 06-07-13, 10:19 PM
bryanp
Driver School Candidate

LS for luxury if you are going to spend that much time in the car. ES for MPG assuming since it's FWD, IS is a better looking GS but IS will depreciate more though. I've looked at all of these personally and landed on the GS400 for myself, but I'm after the power.
Old 06-08-13, 09:48 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

40yrs old in sales and drives 30-40k per year... LS430 UL

Comfort, Classy, and spacious. If you are driving clients around as part of your sales role you'll want that extra touch of UL options.

Or you could just buy my GS lol