GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I have a few questions about my 02 gs300 sport design

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 06:08 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have a few questions about my 02 gs300 sport design

First hello GS guys I have been a lexus guy for many years and just bought my 1st gs for a great family hauler and I am going na-t this year as well for much need power for this heavy slug.

I have had the car for a month or so and I have done nothing but search in that time but I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered here

1.. why does my sport design have a "manual" mode with no buttons on the steering wheel?
2..Can I swap out the Mark Levinson head unit for a normal climate control and aftermarket nav?
3.. What is the diy method to do a zero point calibration as I over hauld the suspension now 3 lights are on in the cluster due to the calibration that needs to be done.
4.. where is the best and cheapest place to get a current version of the navi disk?

Other than that I have the dreaded p0340 code that pops up and looks like I am going to just make a test pipe in place of the cat and an 02 sim to solve that problem and looks like I lost my power steering rack as well as I just replaced the pump with a new one and still nothing

Are there any other common problem areas I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-13, 09:26 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wow the gs section of cl is pretty dead Is there any other place to seek this information?
Old 06-09-13, 10:14 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Somebody replaced the steering wheel with the wrong one.
2. Yes, but you'll be rewiring the whole stereo system.
3. Don't know, but your Lexus dealer would love to charge you for it.
4. eBay.
Old 06-09-13, 10:40 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am sure the steering wheel is the factory one as it matches the black wood that as far as I know only came on the sport design models and not all of them at that.
Old 06-09-13, 10:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

should have steering wheel buttons.. here is a pic of a 2003

Old 06-10-13, 05:59 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AAARRRGGHH!! I just got turned on looking at this color combo. OP, this section isn't dead, you will quickly notice that people don't respond to topics that are easily answered with a search. if your wheel doesn't have buttons, it's been replaced....end of discussion.

2. Yes, plenty of threads on this with pictures.
Old 06-10-13, 06:50 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AAARRRGGHH!! I just got turned on looking at this color combo. OP, this section isn't dead, you will quickly notice that people don't respond to topics that are easily answered with a search. if your wheel doesn't have buttons, it's been replaced....end of discussion.

Man I was behind a older lady with a 2003 Saddle/crystal white yesterday. Man I envied that car.. Wanted to ask if she would sell it. LOL
Old 06-10-13, 07:02 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3

Jesus man I have searched for weeks on these topics and it has not been covered and if somehow I missed it please point me in the direction of the topic instead of being a search troll good god I am so tired of people saying search I have money that says it was not replaced so I guess I will have to provide photo proof
Old 06-10-13, 07:19 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Jesus man I have searched for weeks on these topics and it has not been covered and if somehow I missed it please point me in the direction of the topic instead of being a search troll good god I am so tired of people saying search I have money that says it was not replaced so I guess I will have to provide photo proof
dude, calm down, I"m just telling you WHY PEOPLE ARE NOT POSTING IN YOUR THREAD! Everyone told you the answer about the steering wheel....if you already have the answer, then why make a thread telling people they are wrong?? ALL GS3's SD steering wheels came with e-shift buttons FROM THE FACTORY. If you don't have that, then the wheel has been replaced. End of story. No, I'm not going to search this site to find the multiple threads on people doing the conversion from ML to aftermarket radio/nav and climate control. This is my last post.... Good luck.
Old 06-10-13, 07:56 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wow you are a great asset to the gs forum what would we ever do without the token know it all with a I am better than you attitude since I know the answer to your question but won't help but rather tell you to search guy?

Any how I am now 95% sure you are wrong and here is why......
I have a "M" on the dash display but a "M-D" as opposed to a "M" on the shift gate so I am thinking that in conjunction with lack of push button on the wheel says it was never there as every gs I have seen that had this had a "M-D" on the shift gate surround.
Photos for proof...

Last edited by xspsi6; 06-10-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 08:55 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by TI II
Man I was behind a older lady with a 2003 Saddle/crystal white yesterday. Man I envied that car.. Wanted to ask if she would sell it. LOL
There was one in Atl that someone posted here a couple of months back...the same set up you just stated that you saw. I'm pissed that I didn't get it. I think Flocko posted it. The saddle combo is beautiful!
Old 06-10-13, 10:52 AM
Driver2363
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats some bull**** with the buttons never seen one without any of like 500 ive detailed
Old 06-10-13, 12:03 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Your wheel is out of an es350 or sc430. The 02 sportdesign never came with a wood wheel.
Old 06-10-13, 12:54 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by TI II
Your wheel is out of an es350 or sc430. The 02 sportdesign never came with a wood wheel.
He will still find a way to tell you that we are still wrong. He asked the question first, we told him the correct answer, he then replies with we are wrong and...here is "proof" of the pictures and we are 95% wrong lol. The picture only PROVES that the steering wheel was replaced and his gear cluster has been replaced with one that came out of a 430! Heck even the shift **** isn't the true OEM ****.

But hey, if the OP wants to believe that he is the ONLY person with a SD WITHOUT e-shift, even thought it CLEARLY shows that it has the manual option by looking at the odometer cluster and it's a well known fact that may GS members switch out the eshift, just to have wood wheel, then let him be. He is another know it all who post typical smart remarks when someone is trying to give him facts. Maybe he is used to being spoon fed, but we typically don't spoon feed anyone on this side...this the reason this thread has no useful links.

Also OP, if you want to know about common things/problems about our car, take the time to read all of the sticky's on this page and suspension page. There is a link that says Noobs, click here or something like that. But since you said that you have been searching for over a month, I'm sure that YOU already saw this...

BTW...yes, I am better than you, I'm quite sure of this. Since you want me to be an a$$, I'll be one.
Old 06-10-13, 12:56 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Driver2363
thats some bull**** with the buttons never seen one without any of like 500 ive detailed
trust me, no one has either unless they changed the wheel out to obtain wood, as in this case.

Quick Reply: I have a few questions about my 02 gs300 sport design