GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car Broken into! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 12:21 AM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Broken into! Help please!

Hey there guys. Someone broke into my '98 Gs300 a few hours ago and damaged both door handles (as if one was not enough to get into the car) and their corresponding locks. They took a few items of no significant value, but now I am stuck with having to fix these doors. Do you think it will be best to report it to the insurance company or can I fix it myself for around 500 ( which is my insurance deductible). I really rather not report it because the last time I reported vandalism, my last insurance company dropped me because of high risk. Both door locks are busted and so are the handles. Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
Old 01-05-03, 01:23 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Ok, here is my take on this. If you report it, you'll end up paying $500 anyway. Then, if your insurance pays any money out of their pocket, they'll drop you as soon as your policy expires. Your next insurance carrier will jack up the price because they'll consider you high risk due to what happened with another company. You an draw your own conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Old 01-05-03, 01:36 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sovero1
Ok, here is my take on this. If you report it, you'll end up paying $500 anyway. Then, if your insurance pays any money out of their pocket, they'll drop you as soon as your policy expires. Your next insurance carrier will jack up the price because they'll consider you high risk due to what happened with another company. You an draw your own conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Ed
That is not true. My old car was broken into and I ended up with over $6000 in damage. My policy was up in February and I was still able to renew without any increase in rates. This was not your fualt thus meaning your insurance company should not penalize you.

The first thing I did was call the police and file a report (get the case #). Second, call the insurance company and report the break in...this will give them a heads up. This does NOT mean you are claiming the breakin. Third, go around to a few repair shops and get some estimates for the repair (include the dealership). Also check state laws regarding these situations. here in Texas, if you have three estimates, the insurance company is legally obligated to give you the average of the repari cost even if you decide not to repair your car. I personally took the money, repaired everything myself, sold my car and used the money I saved on my GS.

Like I said before, this was NOT your fault. Your insurance rates should not be effected.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Chad
Old 01-05-03, 01:55 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by UTGS400

That is not true. My old car was broken into and I ended up with over $6000 in damage. My policy was up in February and I was still able to renew without any increase in rates. This was not your fualt thus meaning your insurance company should not penalize you.

The first thing I did was call the police and file a report (get the case #). Second, call the insurance company and report the break in...this will give them a heads up. This does NOT mean you are claiming the breakin. Third, go around to a few repair shops and get some estimates for the repair (include the dealership). Also check state laws regarding these situations. here in Texas, if you have three estimates, the insurance company is legally obligated to give you the average of the repari cost even if you decide not to repair your car. I personally took the money, repaired everything myself, sold my car and used the money I saved on my GS.

Like I said before, this was NOT your fault. Your insurance rates should not be effected.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Chad
I don't know how it is where you are, but from my dealings with insurance companies and my friends' experiences I've learned that in NY, if insurance company has to pay (regardless of fault) they do not deal with the claimant after the policy ends. Then they give you a rate hike. On another, but similar note, two separate friends of mine who have residences in Brooklyn and Long Island insured their cars in LI while living in Brooklyn. They were both paying $2,000-$3,500/year. Insurance companies somehow found out, and both got their insurance jacked up to $12,000/year immediately.
Old 01-05-03, 02:05 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Were they in an accident?? If so, there is a big difference between being in an accident and having your car broken into. Insurance companies see an accident as something that could have been prevented, but a break in is accidental. Unless you livein a high crime area or you have been victimized multiple times you shouldn't have any problems with your insurance company.
Old 01-05-03, 02:06 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Forget the time they stole my car...
A couple of months ago, they broke into it again
Old 01-05-03, 02:07 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by ThemisN
Forget the time they stole my car...
A couple of months ago, they broke into it again
Sorry about that...anyway...1 door...drilled out my lock, broke handle, damaged door...cost? 1100. I went through the insurance..and I also had that concern being in NJ and that within the past yr my car was stolen. I was told that as long as there arent continuing petty claims, its no problem. So i claimed it...Hell i dont pay em for nothing.
Old 01-05-03, 02:34 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Damn bro, sorry to see that your GS was violated like that... But hey, do the smart thing... Just shave off the door handles...
Old 01-05-03, 11:13 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends how they picked the handles/ locks to get in.

I've had my passenger door hit once and the thieves only broke the handle / lock combination and did NOT damage the door at all.

I just had to buy a new door handle (which comes prepainted BTW) and a new key mechanism.

If your door itself it not damaged, i would still report it to the police and get a police report but would initially hesitate to report it to your insurance company.
Since you said that both doors were picked (i again am assuming that they only broke the handled and key mechanisms) you'll need to buy two handles.
I think i had paid around $200 for mine so you're looking at $400.
Key mechanism was about $100 if I'm correct so you're looking at $200. Total $600 without installation.

Now if you're mechanically inclined, you could install these yourself its not that difficult. One final cost you need to ask the dealer is for them to rekey the locks to your current key (unless you're willing to use three different keys - one for each door and one for starting the car). Personally, since this was my passenger door, i did not go through the hassle.

So if my assumptions above are correct and your doors themselves do not require body shop work, i would take the hit and NOT report to the insurance company. These days, you have to be extremely selective of what you do report. Although it is not your fault, insurance can still find ways to recoup their costs or even drop you on your next renewal.

Let me know what you end up deciding.
Old 01-05-03, 11:55 AM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your help. Last time Allstate dropped me because someone keyed my bimmer all over the place and that was not my fault. So like someone said, I have to be very selective as to what I report. I've been thinking about trading in the GS for an LS430, do you think the dealer will take the car like that or should I fix it first? Once again thank you all for the advice.
Old 01-05-03, 12:00 PM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS4fun
It really depends how they picked the handles/ locks to get in.

I've had my passenger door hit once and the thieves only broke the handle / lock combination and did NOT damage the door at all.

I just had to buy a new door handle (which comes prepainted BTW) and a new key mechanism.

If your door itself it not damaged, i would still report it to the police and get a police report but would initially hesitate to report it to your insurance company.
Since you said that both doors were picked (i again am assuming that they only broke the handled and key mechanisms) you'll need to buy two handles.
I think i had paid around $200 for mine so you're looking at $400.
Key mechanism was about $100 if I'm correct so you're looking at $200. Total $600 without installation.

Now if you're mechanically inclined, you could install these yourself its not that difficult. One final cost you need to ask the dealer is for them to rekey the locks to your current key (unless you're willing to use three different keys - one for each door and one for starting the car). Personally, since this was my passenger door, i did not go through the hassle.

So if my assumptions above are correct and your doors themselves do not require body shop work, i would take the hit and NOT report to the insurance company. These days, you have to be extremely selective of what you do report. Although it is not your fault, insurance can still find ways to recoup their costs or even drop you on your next renewal.

Let me know what you end up deciding.
Thanks for your help. The doors were not damaged, just the door handles and the key mechanisms. Did you purchase the key mechanisms and handles at the dealer? If its right around 6 or 700 then I rather take the hit and not report it. Thanks for your help man.
Old 01-05-03, 01:15 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs2fst4u

Thanks for your help. The doors were not damaged, just the door handles and the key mechanisms. Did you purchase the key mechanisms and handles at the dealer? If its right around 6 or 700 then I rather take the hit and not report it. Thanks for your help man.
Yep purchased the parts at the dealer. Have them key your key mechanism to your current key. I'm not sure how much they charge for hand. On the other, hand you could always carry another key with you to open the outside door....might not be a big deal...i always use the unlock function on the key and never actually stick in the key into the door handle anyway.

Installation is not that difficult.

BTW, what color is your car.

I DO HAVE A CINNABAR COLOR handle which i may offer a great discount on if it matches your color.
Old 01-05-03, 01:17 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs2fst4u
Thank you all for your help. Last time Allstate dropped me because someone keyed my bimmer all over the place and that was not my fault. So like someone said, I have to be very selective as to what I report. I've been thinking about trading in the GS for an LS430, do you think the dealer will take the car like that or should I fix it first? Once again thank you all for the advice.
Definately fix it. They will knock off a lot of value because of the slight damage. I think its in your best interest to get it repaired before you decide to trade in.
Old 01-05-03, 01:19 PM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS4fun

Yep purchased the parts at the dealer. Have them key your key mechanism to your current key. I'm not sure how much they charge for hand. On the other, hand you could always carry another key with you to open the outside door....might not be a big deal...i always use the unlock function on the key and never actually stick in the key into the door handle anyway.

Installation is not that difficult.

BTW, what color is your car.

I DO HAVE A CINNABAR COLOR handle which i may offer a great discount on if it matches your color.
Unfortunatly, my car is Jet Black. Thanks for the offer. I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow and see what happens. I would love for them to take the car like that, pay off my loan and give me an LS430. I'll keep you posted as to how much they charge for the parts. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-03, 03:44 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Also..despite someone here is suggesting you just get a mechanism that does not match your current key...I do NOT suggest it.

You might not use the lock itself, however, when you try to sell it or trade it in , try explaining why the key doesnt work on either of the doors.

Quick Reply: Car Broken into! Help please!