GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I use red lens tape to change amber section of taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 03:54 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after doing a lot of searching on the web I found the following red window tints.

Gila Window Tint - Xtreme Colors
Solar Gard Specialty Film Performance Results
Sun-Gard Color Graphic Films & Specialty Films

I also found this thread on Tercelonline.com showing a guy who just recently tinted his taillights with red tint but I couldn't find any information online about the Oracle brand of tint that he mentioned. I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.tercelonline.com/board/vi...d.php?tid=2528

If anybody has any opinions about any of these films, I'd appreciate it. Also the Sun-Gard web page has Cherry Red and Fire Red listed as colors. Which one do you think will be closer to the color of taillights? I'm leaning towards the Cherry Red but I wanted people's opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 01-08-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 10:31 PM
carfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah..i think the same SK...i would lean towards the cherry red too...but yeah....i remember one of you talkin about victor's transparent film...i went to the nearby friendly pep boys...looked pretty cheeeeesy....but still bought it...2.33 i think it came out to....yeah and when i unrolled part of the tape...it has these tiny dark spots all over tape....looked pretty ghetto if you asked me...but when i put em over my ambers....they looked pretty nice....

i havent finished the application cuz i was thinkin of leaving some of the amber in...like in a little square patch...cuz i've seen some of those 97-99s with all red except center and they look pretty bad...
Old 01-09-03, 01:28 PM
gjvilleg
Driver School Candidate

There is a best way to tint the orange reflector and still get OEM look. Go to a hobby shop, you know where they sale those model cars, boats atc. and ask for a candy apple transparency paint. It must be transparent otherwise it will look that you painted them. When you paint with transperency paint you will see those little likes behind the tailighs. Here in Southern Cali. they sell it at Michaels Arts and Crafts, just ask for Testors apple cany red transperency paint the paint code is 1605. I hope this helps a little and at the end you will see that it gives it that glossy look.
Old 01-09-03, 02:30 PM
carfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gjvilleg
There is a best way to tint the orange reflector and still get OEM look. Go to a hobby shop, you know where they sale those model cars, boats atc. and ask for a candy apple transparency paint. It must be transparent otherwise it will look that you painted them. When you paint with transperency paint you will see those little likes behind the tailighs. Here in Southern Cali. they sell it at Michaels Arts and Crafts, just ask for Testors apple cany red transperency paint the paint code is 1605. I hope this helps a little and at the end you will see that it gives it that glossy look.
hmm...sounds good cuz the victors tape isnt wide enough...just shy of covering all the amber...but this paint...does it glob easily cuz i really want a good lookin red taillights that cant be removed because i dont want to do a bad job on it like i do w/ most of my mods. I really just wanted the best lookin and MOST DUMMY FREE process of redding my amber tails...but thanks for the suggestion gjvilleg
Old 01-09-03, 03:47 PM
gjvilleg
Driver School Candidate

before you spray the paint make sure is dust free and spray little by little. The paint is very shiny and it will look just like the red top of your tailights, nothing gets any closer, if you are worried about the paint chiping, there is no problems using this paint it will stick forever. But a word of advice, dont spray too many coats to your tailights because the more you spray the darker it gets, so it you are not sure look at the top of your tailight and blend it in. I hope this helps
Old 01-09-03, 04:04 PM
PlayboyzGS
Rookie

Default red tail-lights

I got the candy apple paint from WALMART. It is in the section by the model cars. BE AWARE: Use a clearcoat afterwards, and do not use too many coats of paint. I messed up the first time and had to get some paint remover from home depot and then re-do them. It was a 3 day project but they came out beautiful. If anyone wants to, I will exchange out my 2000 tail-lights painted red for a set of 2001+ taillights
Old 01-09-03, 05:21 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey Club Lex Family

Hey Sam. Whas up Bro.? OK. Sam If ya want some RED tint. All ya had to do was ask dude. If ya remember me saying that I had several already PRE-CUT perfectly SIZED Red Tinit sections. Totally PLUG & PLAY. or I guess in this situation JUST STICK ON!
The tint that you saw at the meet was my trial-testing one.
Since then I have made a new much cleaner( STENCIL). They are desighned to FIT right over the OEM 01's-03's TAIL to cover the Amber section turn signals only. The center Reverse section is Clear or more correctly slight pink.
1) Stencil section RED TINT 20%
2) It is completely clean NO bubbles.
3) Put on just like interior TINT, Squeege, hair blowdryer
all ya need.
Sam ya have to see my new ones. I have had the Lex. dealer touch them & was very surprised. The COLOR is exactly OEM.
That's the only reason I used them.

Paul- Sorry for the late response but, I didn't see the thread til late.

I have like 10 feet of TINT. I could make like 100 Stencils of the stuff I have the Master frame cut out.

Last edited by PAULGS430; 01-09-03 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 05:47 PM
carfanatic
Driver School Candidate

hmm...i really dont like the fact that the paint isnt easily removable....i dont think i'll be messin with the paint...i'll just use the red lens tape...that's prolly the easiest and simplest way to do it
Old 01-09-03, 06:01 PM
LexFather

thanks for the quick reply!
no problem, I am a post *****!
Old 01-09-03, 07:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

PAULGS430,

I was also one of the people asking about your tailights at the meet. They looked very nice, completely OEM.

Please let me know when you have these stencils ready and how i can receive a pair.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-03, 09:04 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Wink OK

No problem Bro. I'll let ya know in a little bit dude. Keep posted.

Paul