GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I use red lens tape to change amber section of taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 06:08 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I use red lens tape to change amber section of taillights?

The other day when I was in my local car wash I saw this package for Victor Lens Repair Tape.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/vicv300series.html

I know Paul (aka PAULGS430) used red tint to change the amber section of his 2002 GS430 lights to red and it looked really nice but I was wondering if I could use this lens tape to do the same thing assuming that the color matches closely or will the tape be too dark on top of the amber section?

I really wanted to clear out the amber sections but there is no way to do it. If anybody is curious, here are some other lens repair tapes and kits.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/lensrepair.html

Let me know if you think it will work and how you think it will look. Thanks.
Old 01-06-03, 06:18 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

why not just ask paul exactly the brand he used if you like it that much? also, cong28 used some red tape and it looks extremely OEM. had to feel it to believe it. nice guy...perhaps ask him what brand he used
Old 01-06-03, 07:03 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

My only concern about using tint is that the adhesive will not be as strong as tape but the opposite could be true, the tint adhesive could be strong than the tape. It also seemed a lot cheaper to buy a $2 roll of lens tape that is already 2 inches wide and cut it down to size rather than buy a roll of tint which will be window sized. I remember Paul telling me as the CL meet in November that he had to buy a roll of red tint from some place out in California.

I'll PM cong28 and ask him to respond to this thread. Thanks.
Old 01-06-03, 07:09 PM
LexFather

I use it on my 98 tails. You can't tell a thing. Make sure you take your time and I cut mine with a razor. I wash my car all the time and they have not peeled since July.
Old 01-06-03, 08:01 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sam, there was a post on this a while back, here's the link:
Click Here . I hope this works out for you.
Old 01-06-03, 10:47 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I use it on my 98 tails. You can't tell a thing. Make sure you take your time and I cut mine with a razor. I wash my car all the time and they have not peeled since July.
yo sick, where did you get this 3m tape? thanks
Old 01-07-03, 12:21 AM
LexFather

At advance auto parts.
Old 01-07-03, 12:32 AM
ATLgs4
Driver

thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-07-03, 12:53 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that about 2 years ago when the shop I got the material from was still opened (closed now but I heard they're reopening)

anyways I didn't use tape. It was red transparent film made by 3M. Looks and feels just like glass.
Attached Thumbnails Can I use red lens tape to change amber section of taillights?-redtail.jpg  
Old 01-07-03, 01:38 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Ok, I've been looking on the 3M web site. I never realized how many different kinds of tape they have. But the amount of stuff is overwhelming. Anyway, the only red tinted transparent tape I found was this one. I couldn't paste the direct URL to the item so I had to paste in the search. Scroll down to the 2 inch wide tape.

http://www3.3m.com/search/search?req...22&image2.y=16

Is this the one that people used? BTW, it also comes in narrower widths but 2 inches is the widest.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 01-07-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 02:48 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

2 inches doesnt look like its gonna be wide enough unlesss you use more than 1 layer of tape.
Old 01-07-03, 03:26 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I figured 2 inches wide would be wide enough just to cover the amber section at the bottom of the taillights like Paul did on his GS that I saw at the Brooklyn meet. I was reading the old thread and I didn't realize that people covered the entire lens with the red tint. I'm going to go back to the 3M site and look again for red tint. I couldn't find 3M adhesive tint tape like cong28 indicated in his private message to me. I'm going to ask my local after market shops.
Old 01-07-03, 03:54 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
I did that about 2 years ago when the shop I got the material from was still opened (closed now but I heard they're reopening)

anyways I didn't use tape. It was red transparent film made by 3M. Looks and feels just like glass.
I am still using the same tape as Globe and it hasnt budge for more than a year, rain or shine. I think the red tape is made from 3MM.
Old 01-07-03, 10:05 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Do they have any kind of smoked color transparent tape?
Old 01-08-03, 02:41 AM
carfanatic
Driver School Candidate

WOW....from the pics that GlobeCLK attached...those are HOT...cant even tell the difference...wow...haha you guys are saviors...now all i have to do is go and get some of that stuff for my ES...you dont know how long i've been searching for a way to cover my ambers red or clear em with the least hassle...whew...talk about a time and money saver

Quick Reply: Can I use red lens tape to change amber section of taillights?