GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buzzing noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 09:28 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise behind dash

Afternoon, just picked up an 03 GS300 SportDesign last weekend. Only thing I can find wrong with it is this buzzing noise that ONLY appears on startup. And it does go away. It kinda sounds like the motors for the steering column but they all work normally. So not 100% sure but I thought I'd get some more opinions.

Old 07-01-13, 09:36 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

it should be the brake booster and abs self checking itself... you should also occasionally hear it while you are driving and slowing down to a stop...
Old 07-01-13, 09:36 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its normal dude its your abs brake booster master cylunder....be happy its buzzing then goes away, that means its working.

Edit: finally actually heard the noise your video is up now, yea, not normal

Last edited by DosyBoy; 07-13-13 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 09:55 AM
wingzero
Rookie

That's odd. I had an 02 GS300 and I never heard that noise. Could it be the ABS module is on its way out?
Old 07-01-13, 12:14 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake booster is not your average vacuum assisted type. It uses a motor and an accumulator to work.

BTW, that video you posted we can't see it.

Last edited by rgarjr; 07-01-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 06:13 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr
The brake booster is not your average vacuum assisted type. It uses a motor and an accumulator to work.

^^^^ What this guy said. If there isn't enough brake pressure in the accumulator the pump turns on. There is a way to dumb that noise down. On the accumulator there is large pop in clips you can put in place of the bolts and the transfer of the noise with cease a great amount.
Old 07-01-13, 06:47 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
^^^^ What this guy said. If there isn't enough brake pressure in the accumulator the pump turns on. There is a way to dumb that noise down. On the accumulator there is large pop in clips you can put in place of the bolts and the transfer of the noise with cease a great amount.
Any more info on this?
Old 07-02-13, 12:15 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Originally Posted by rgarjr

I set it to Public, maybe that will help so you can see the video.
Old 07-13-13, 11:19 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have pics to show,but when I do I will post up. That noise is getting on my nerves as well I just have bigger things to fix on my ride. My master tech that I used to work with me told me to do this. Finding the big clips is another story as well.
Old 07-14-13, 02:38 PM
xStayTuned
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same noise in my 01 gs300 let me know if you find the reason behind it please
Old 07-14-13, 03:48 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xStayTuned
i have the same noise in my 01 gs300 let me know if you find the reason behind it please
That sound is normal, just the brake booster pump building up pressure. If the pump would not pressurize, then you won't have power brakes.
Old 07-15-13, 08:06 AM
wingzero
Rookie

I think its one of the servo's for the A/C. That noise being normal just doesn't make sense for me. This is a Lexus, how is that going to be a normal sound. I don't doubt its something that is moving or doing its job but to me it just sounds like something is going out. These things are built for quite noise level and I just can't fathom them building something with that noise being normal.

If it is indeed the booster, I will replace the thing cuz I don't like that noise my previous GS never once made that noise so I'd expect no less from this one.

Not trying to argue with anyone or be difficult, just throwing my .02 in .
Old 07-16-13, 09:03 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

There are 4 a/c servo motors in the dashboard. There is one of the drivers side near the center console. They can make a grinding noise or a rolling gear noise. You have to listen closely cause the noise can come from the other side and fake you out. There are links to that issue on the forum ,you just have to look. There is grease on the inside you can clean off which might help it or you might end up having to replace it.
Old 07-16-13, 11:47 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
There are 4 a/c servo motors in the dashboard. There is one of the drivers side near the center console. They can make a grinding noise or a rolling gear noise. You have to listen closely cause the noise can come from the other side and fake you out. There are links to that issue on the forum ,you just have to look. There is grease on the inside you can clean off which might help it or you might end up having to replace it.
Yep, i was reading up on that. If i have to ill buy a new damn servo lol...assuming that's what it is though. I'll probably take the panels off the bottom and with a stethoscope listen for where the noise is coming from to know for sure.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-17-13, 03:06 AM
Lexusjg1
Driver

That's a servo for sure. Had that same noise on my car. Changed it out and the car is back to normal. It's an easy fix you can do yourself.

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise behind dash