GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 01:21 PM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please

Hi folks. I'm preparing to have my 1999 GS300 repainted. The Florida sun has taken its toll on it. I'm keeping the original color, Cinnabar - code 3N1.

This is a daily driver vehicle with 175k miles. I'm not looking to invest in high-end paint work. I just need a decent repaint to extend the life of this car 1-2 years until I sell it.

The clear coat has peeled off on the roof, hood, rear spoiler and side mirrors. The bumpers, side panels and doors are not peeling. (see photos in next posting)

I have a guy lined up who will do the prep work, apply one coat of base and one coat of clear to the entire car. The materials used will be (3) quarts of base and (1) gallon of clear coat. He advises that it will hold up well and not dull or fade away in six months like other economy jobs. This is a trusted shop I've used for many mechanical repairs over the years - but never any body/paint work. He's doing this for me as a side cash job.

He plans to sand the entire car to remove all clear coat. Tape off everything. Spray the base. Then the clear.

My questions to the forum are:
  1. Does the process the painter outlined sound like the way to go for the type of result I'm looking for? (sand, base, clear)
  2. Does anyone have any advice on paint? Does it have to be Toyota/Lexus paint or can other 3N1 formulas work? Same for the clear coat.
  3. If aftermarket paint is suitable, where is the best place to purchase it?
  4. Is an adhesion promoter really necessary on all plastic (door handles) and bumpers?

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-10-13, 01:26 PM
pizitz70
Rookie

Here are photos of the current paint condition.
Attached Thumbnails Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please-img_4003.jpg   Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please-img_4004.jpg   Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please-img_4005.jpg   Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please-img_4006.jpg   Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please-img_4007.jpg  

Old 07-10-13, 01:31 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you are asking the forums for help sounds to me like you are doubting this guys work ......if you are go, to an actual body shop where they actually do the type of work on a daily basis tat way you know you will be happy
Old 07-10-13, 05:13 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)Process sounds ok. Hes just gonna scuff up clear coat so the paint has something to adhere to. But I think he needs more base and clear. 2) as long as it has same color code, it should be fine. Skip 3, 4) I would recommend using an adhesion promoter, but your only looking to hold up for a year or two, so up to you. It will eventually start to peel especially with that florida sun. I have a couple ?s. Why is he only puting one coat base? Hopefully he does a damn good single coat. Or else you will see all the light and dark areas(areas he didn't cover well). Also, why is he only puting one coat of clear when you are paying for a whole gallon? One gallon can do at least two coats. Maybe even three. Do you really think a no primer, single base, single clear job will really hold up for two years in the hot *** sun. I don't think so. Overall it will work just not with one coat. It always comes down to you get what you pay for. Just my two pennies.........
Old 07-10-13, 09:11 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just one coat???
Old 07-12-13, 09:16 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Update:

I just received further clarification from the painter. The process will include three coats of base and three coats of clear.

I feel much better knowing this and have decided to move forward. I think three coats each will do this job nicely and provide the desired result.

I'll update this thread once the job is completed and provide some 'after' photos. The work is tentatively scheduled for the week of August 5th.
Old 07-12-13, 05:17 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will just say one thing, a paint job is not an item to try to cut corners on, otherwise it will look like ****. This is truly a case of you get what you pay for.

What's this job gonna run you with this guy?
Old 07-12-13, 06:30 PM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I will just say one thing, a paint job is not an item to try to cut corners on, otherwise it will look like ****. This is truly a case of you get what you pay for.

What's this job gonna run you with this guy?
You say you only want to extend the life of the car 1-2 years, bust it seems as if you want a good paint job. As the person that I quoted said, cheap and good as far as paint work goes do not go hand in hand. There are even times when you pay good money and still dont get a good paint job. Your car does need a fair amount of prep work and I am sure there are a couple dings/scratches that we dont see in the pics?

Me personally, I would rather purchase your car with original paint, with the defects that are pictured, as opposed to buying your car with a crappy paint job.

I say all that to se, just be careful, does he have other cars he has painted that you can see before he paints yours?
Old 07-13-13, 06:59 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yup. 3 coats of base / 3 coats of clear is more like a normal paint job. 1 coat would suck.
Old 07-14-13, 01:52 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Now were talkin! 3 coats should come out pretty sweet. Post some pics when your done.
Old 07-14-13, 08:55 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

It's all in the prep work how a paint job will look and I just can't understand why those of us in Florida do not properly wax our cars? I clay bar,compound,polish and wax my cars twice per year and have never had the sunburn problems that you see here in FL.
Old 07-15-13, 06:17 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Never understood why people don't wax their cars often. I use the spray on wax...not a durable as the paste, but I use it weekly and I have a lot of protection on my car. Water beads on contact.
Old 08-05-13, 08:48 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Update:

The car went in for the paint job. Before I dropped it off, I removed the old gold emblems. I have a fresh, updated set of silver emblems ready to install after the new paint.

I also did a headlight restore job which made a huge difference. The yellowing of the lenses really showed the age. Now they are clear and look nearly new.

I should have the car back by Friday. I'll share some after photos within a week or so.

Last edited by pizitz70; 08-05-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 01:14 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Great, can't wait to see pics.
Old 08-05-13, 02:15 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Good job bro. keep the legend alive

Quick Reply: Having My '99 GS300 Repainted - Tips & Advice Please