GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please Help Serious Question!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03 | 04:38 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Exclamation Please Help Serious Question!!!!!!

If any one can help it will be appreciated! My apartment got broken into! I have a 2000 GS300 and the Valet key was stolen. Does this key give the robber FULL access to my car or if I hit the alarm on the car it is safe? What would be the best thing that I do for this problem!
Old 01-10-03 | 06:03 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I'd ask your dealer.

R
Old 01-10-03 | 06:18 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

The only thing the Valet key does not let you do is open the trunk/glove box povided that those are locked.

I would say you need a new set of keys and the dealer will probably charge you a sh_t load for them.
Old 01-10-03 | 07:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Until you get to a dealer, put a Club or some other type of steering inhibitor on your GS. Could also pull out a fuse or two.
Old 01-10-03 | 09:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with Dave...

You better remove something from the engine to prevent it from getting started.

Is that all the thief took, the valet key? Is your car parked near your apartment?

Dude, I would be extremely worried.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.
Old 01-10-03 | 10:21 PM
PlayboyzGS
Rookie

CALL LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY WILL REPLACE YOUR ECU ONCE IN THE CARS LIFETIME AT NO CHARGE. ALL YOU PAY IS LABOR TO INSTALL IT AND THE COST FOR THE KEYS. SO, THEN GET THE ECU INSTALLED, AND INSTEAD OF PAYING 250 FOR THE KEY, GET DEVILDOGG TO ORDER YOU ONE FOR 100. GOOD LUCK. JUST MY .02
Old 01-10-03 | 11:50 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Exclamation THANKS!!!!

GS4fun,

That bastard took all of my avirex jackets and my other leather coat that I did not wear yet! He also took my good watches and about 70 DVD's! The only real thing that he took of importance is the key! I did not know it would work without the remote. It was not like that in my last car. This will never happen to me again! At least he left the Big Screen and the player with Barbershop!!! I think it was a little dude becuase the whole in the window my leg can not get through! This is slowing down the GS4 project! Damn I want a GS44fun too!!!

PlayboyzGS,

What is the ECU and would I not have to replace all the key wholes in the trunk, doors, glove, and ignition! I will see if my renters insurance will cover so that my car insurance does not go up! I PM you also!
Old 01-11-03 | 02:18 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Until you get to a dealer, put a Club or some other type of steering inhibitor on your GS. Could also pull out a fuse or two.
The Club is worthless! The steering wheel is very easy to cut with a hack saw. It takes less than a minute then they just slid the club off! :eek: Might be good for hitting the crook over the head with.
Old 01-11-03 | 02:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by ceoart

The Club is worthless! The steering wheel is very easy to cut with a hack saw. It takes less than a minute then they just slid the club off! :eek: Might be good for hitting the crook over the head with.
I disagree with you Art in this case. For experienced auto crooks, you're absolutely right; the club presents very little challenge to overcome.

But the guy who broke into his apartment - who knows what his skill level is in auto theft and hacksaw 101? He's got a key and expects to drive off scott free with no issues. He might have to wait until tomorrow morning to go to Home Depot to even buy a hacksaw.

I stick with my original post Anything you can do to slow them down until you get your keys repogrammed - do it.
Old 01-11-03 | 04:25 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

alright im not sure about this, but from what i know the engine will turn itself off after so many miles with the valet key due to a lack of a chip iniside the valet key, im not positive, but i think thats how it works
Old 01-11-03 | 10:10 AM
Copout221
Driver

If you have the master key you can follow the instructions to erase all codes from the ecu and then re-program the keys you have in your possession. The key the thief stole will not get the engine started but he/she will be able to enter the passenger compartment of your car. Hope this helped !!!!

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS >> How to program/erase keys from ecu

Last edited by Copout221; 01-11-03 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-11-03 | 11:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Copout221
If you have the master key you can follow the instructions to erase all codes from the ecu and then re-program the keys you have in your possession. The key the thief stole will not get the engine started but he/she will be able to enter the passenger compartment of your car. Hope this helped !!!!

>> How to program/erase keys from ecu
Copout, good idea but IMO not sure if that will work. The ECU is the source for the code that is saved in the keys and you aren't changing that (just re-flashing that code into the key you are programming). The process works to reprogram new keys to match your ECU and work with your car, but I don't think it changes the ECU codes at all.

VI Rep - dealer is open on Saturday, get there and ask them!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-11-03 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-03 | 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Copout221
The key the thief stole will not get the engine started but he/she will be able to enter the passenger compartment of your car. Hope this helped !!!!
Huh? I'm pretty sure the valet key does start the engine. The only thing it can't do is open the trunk and glove box.
Old 01-11-03 | 01:42 PM
LexGS3
Driver

Does the valet key start the engine, can anyone confirm this? I remember trying about 3 or 4 weeks ago and the key would go into the ignition but was not able to turn it, and did not want to force it?
Old 01-11-03 | 02:47 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Cool Thanks!!

I really appreciate the info Guys!! I am on my way to the dealer so that the keys can be reprogrammed! I will see if they will replace the ECU also! I owe CL and all that responded BIG TIME! I have the damn RED club on it and hate taking it on and off everywhere I go! I will update the thread on what the dealer said! Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: Please Help Serious Question!!!!!!