GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD Sway Bars and Beginning Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 02:45 PM
JKLionhear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD Sway Bars and Beginning Performance Mods

I ordered a set of TRD sway bars from Sewell recently and was just told that the front sway bar is cancelled and all remaining units are no longer going to be distributed for sale. Since I was planning on getting a full set and it sounds like the TRD front sway bar is no longer going to be available, I'm trying to get my order cancelled ASAP. They moved quickly to ship my rear sway bar, but I really wish they had asked if I wanted to keep the order. (Update: They cancelled the order. Great service, fast response.)

That said, I'm completely new to the world of car mods and would love some advice. I've been reading the Club Lexus forums for a while, especially regarding sway bars, but it's been a bit of an information overload. I'm fairly sure keeping the TRD rear sway bar and buying another brand for the front is a bad idea, can anyone confirm this?

If that's the case, are there any other sets out there that work well for our 2GS 300? I read on the forums the Daizens were prone to snapping or were weaker in some way, and I haven't really found any other ones through Googling for parts. Sewell had a great price esp after CL discount for the TRDs but I only see them elsewhere at Carson for over $100 more.

Since this is my first post, I might as well ask if a set of Tein S Tech springs would be a better start (on OEM shocks). I thought about coilover and I know there are plenty of posts about it, but I never really saw this answered: If I get coilovers, and adjust them for daily driving, don't go to the track at all, aren't they essentially the same as springs given the same spring rates? From what I've read coilovers make the most sense if you're adjusting for multiple performance needs (daily driving, track, etc.), otherwise they feel like a fairly large purchase for adjusting them just once.

Any other recommendations to get started would be appreciated. I know there are plenty of other posts out there, so I'll try to do my due diligence too. Was pretty set on starting with sway bars until this happened.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited by JKLionhear; 07-30-13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 03:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Ebay has some beefy sways from a company called Emusa? Another member recently bought those and was pretty happy so far.
Old 07-30-13, 05:36 PM
JKLionhear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Ebay has some beefy sways from a company called Emusa? Another member recently bought those and was pretty happy so far.
Thanks for the recommendation! Just checked, all GS sway bar listings are gone. Any idea why these are so much cheaper? It's like $130 for both!
Old 07-30-13, 06:44 PM
JamesG
Driver

A few things since ive had Daizen sway bars for many years now as well as Tanabe springs on stock struts (put in at 50k) and later replaced by kyb struts (around 60k) now with BC coils (around 95k)......

Firstly, springs on stock (old) struts will blow your struts early (lost mine fast) because your struts are used to being a certain height, now you changed that height and the struts dont like that (was told this by lexus mechanic, it made sense as I blew mine shortly after)

Secondly, with stock struts I was putting WAY to much pressure on the sway bars and snapped the rear twice, the front was fine. I have seen TRDs snap as well, Ive come to the conclusion you need good struts/ springs or coils with aftermarket swaybars or youre putting way too much stress on the bars.

Lastly, I believe my Tanabe springs were around 4k-5k spring rate and rode very smooth with the KYB struts, while my BC coils are 12k/10k? (or 10k/8k) but they are actually smoother than the Tanabe/kyb setup.... Im guessing because the coilovers struts and springs are engineered together, so dont pay alot of attention to spring rates when comparing springs vs coils.
Old 07-30-13, 06:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by JKLionhear
Thanks for the recommendation! Just checked, all GS sway bar listings are gone. Any idea why these are so much cheaper? It's like $130 for both!
they are hollow compared to being solid
Old 07-30-13, 07:31 PM
JamesG
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
they are hollow compared to being solid
Daizens are hollow, and Im pretty sure so are the TRDs
Old 07-31-13, 01:24 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Emusa sways as well (only have been able to install the front so far). However, I'd recommend them as well from my experience so far.
Old 07-31-13, 02:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I have the Emusa sways as well (only have been able to install the front so far). However, I'd recommend them as well from my experience so far.
Do u have pics of your somewhere? seems like u have every mod known to man lol. lets see some pics

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 07-31-13, 03:03 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

LOL Sure... you can checkout my photobucket as I've kinda gotten out of the habit of posting pictures.

http://s690.photobucket.com/user/Nor...ewelz/library/
Old 07-31-13, 03:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

LOL Sure... you can checkout my photobucket as I've kinda gotten out of the habit of posting pictures.

Looks good.. had no idea you had a RHD GS lol... love the mods..
Old 07-31-13, 05:20 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKLionhear
TRD stuff is expensive lol
Old 07-31-13, 09:22 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JamesG
Daizens are hollow, and Im pretty sure so are the TRDs

The front is hollow and the rear is solid on the TRD set. When I got mine I was amazed how the front is beefier but weighs about half of the rear.
Old 07-31-13, 09:57 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you like that 6 link kit from Top Speed?
Old 07-31-13, 12:48 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I can only comment on 4 of the links as I was too lazy when installing them as part of the exhaust needs to be maneuvered out of the way when installing them. But, the ones that I installed along with the front sway bar improved the overall feel of the car quite a bit... so, I'd definitely recommend them as well. I purchased the front and rear Ultra Racing braces so I'm hoping they'll improve the feel of the car even further once installed.
Old 07-31-13, 02:19 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

Doesn't Daizen continue to make the front and rear sway bars?

Quick Reply: TRD Sway Bars and Beginning Performance Mods