GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Benz owner looking at Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 04:50 PM
JimB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benz owner looking at Lexus...

Hi all
We've owned our '02 MB C240 for about 7 months now. It is our main vehicle and it's small size has become apparent (2 adults & 2 kids). We're starting to look at larger replacements for it. We'll probably buy in late '04 -early '05. We drove the G35, but didn't like it. Yeah, it has alot more power than our C240, but we felt the ride was harsh (our MB's ride is firm, yet supple) and the interior looked/felt, well... Japanese! We've come to love the fit, finish of the materials in our MB, and it's ride is to die for! So this past weekend we drove the Lexus GS300. There are several things I could point out that I don't like, but knowing the new GS will be out in a year or so, I just wanted to get an idea of how a mid-size Lexus rides. It was smooooooth, but not quite as good as our Benz. Not a huge difference. Here are my hopes for the new GS - stiffer steering, a little more refinement in the "ride" (I don't "dog" my cars out, so I don't need it to take a corner at 90mph like its on rails, but I don't want it to be all bouncy and soft - Lexus, study MB's suspension a little more), of course I want an updated interior and exterior look. I'd like it to get a little more "swoopy". Lexus needs MORE wood and LESS plastic. I'd also like to see sportier seats with "tight" leather vs. the "lose leather look". I'd like to see longer armrests on the doors and wider sills along the insides of the windows on the doors. I'd like to see Lexus copy MB's one-touch start (rather than turn and hold the key until the car starts, you twist the key once and let go, the car's starter engages itself until the motor starts), it's just a nice touch that makes starting the car "special". You may ask why we aren't planning on getting a new E class MB. PRICE! The E will be at LEAST $50K. I could settle for a Lexus for $10K cheaper if the new one meets some of my expectations

later
Jim

Last edited by JimB; 01-12-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 05:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hi and welcome to the forum

yes, your points are valid on the suspension set of the gs, it's too soft imho. but their main idea behind was for comfy, so i guess it's ok. that's why a lot of us here change out the springs and shocks and the ride is more confident.

also, steering is definitely loose, a lot of us get the sterring wheel ecu that will correct a lot of the problem at high speed.

seats, very well point, it's definitely comfortable, but no where sporty, i guess they never mix
Old 01-13-03, 06:00 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim I must ask do you like modding cars? are you going to lease or buy? If the answer to the first was yes and you plan to buy then a 2002 GS430 could be perfect. All you would need to do is get a TEIN coilover system, sway bars, strut tower bar, and a TRD power suspension. This should make your GS handel and feel more stabile than any Benz (short of AMG, Renntech, Brabus, Stillen, and Lorinzer. But they all cost six digits.)
I am just like you when it comes to the seats. Yes they are comfy, but I would like a more sportier feel. I feel the 2002 Acura Cl Type-S has some of the best seats in the luxo market.
As for interior is this enough wood https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...c-008l-med.jpg
My interior. The wood wheel is coming soon.
Good luck with your car hunting.

Last edited by APLUS; 01-13-03 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:01 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by APLUS
All you would need to do is get a TEIN coilover system, sway bars, strut tower bar, and a TRD power suspension.
that's probably a little extreme for what he wants

jim,

i'll tell you that i wish we have your remotes that tell the car who is entering. my wife and i share the GS often and coupled with a remote start, we have to hit the seat memory once inside every damn time to have our seats proper and steering wheel come back into position(don't know about yours, but ours moves towards the dash to allow easier entry/exit)
Old 01-13-03, 07:55 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Yeah probaly a little extreme but it's a great upgrade
Old 01-13-03, 10:31 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

Jim,

You sound like a guy that would really like the benefits of a L-tuned system. All factory warrantied and very mild in terms of ride and steering. The 2 items you would be interested in are the spring/shock combo and the steering ECU. www.l-tunedparts.com

i am not sure if i read your thread correctly but it sounds like you do not like the japanese interiors.... unfortunately i thik they will never really change much so u r kinda stuck with them. Ive seen the benzs interior and i cant imagine any japanese car company ever going that route. at the same token any german manufacturer going the japanese interior route. so if u r tryin to wait and see if the 04' will be more like a benz.. i say dont wait because u will be dissapointed. although come to think of it.. the new E is lookin a little more japanese in the interior

T
Old 01-13-03, 01:26 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Jim, Welcome...
I think the L-Tuned package would be more to your liking than coils,STB's, Sways and all that other Jazz... Definitely will give you a Sport/Luxury ride, and keep all 4 corners planted firmly on the ground.. As for the interior, there will be changes made with the upcoming GS but I think the look will probably not change drastically. But you can always get the woodgrain kit like "APLUS" has... Either way you go you'll have an outstanding automoble...
Old 01-13-03, 05:32 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Default Re: Benz owner looking at Lexus...

Originally posted by JimB
Hi all
I could settle for a Lexus for $10K cheaper if the new one meets some of my expectations

later
Jim
Settle?
Old 01-13-03, 05:39 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

One thing you'll notice that's better in the Lexus over the Mercedes is overall quality. The quality of the manufacturing is better and you'll have much fewer problems. I know Mercedes is good about fixing any problems you may have with their cars but you'll make less trips to the service department with a Lexus than you will with a Mercedes. All you have to do is look at the JD Power surveys and the predicted reliability ratings in Cosumer Reports to see the quality difference between Lexus and Mercedes.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 01-13-03 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 06:03 PM
JimB
Driver School Candidate

Settle?
I see someone caught my little jab But, as in all humor, there is a grain of truth. We all "settle" on things, everyday. I have driven the E and it handles as superbly as my C. I could afford the E, but that is more than I want to spend. The GS I drove didn't
"ride" as well either the C or E. In addition, I have many more likes in the MB than in the GS (not as refined a "ride", dated looks, Japanese looking interior, short door armrests, wrinkle-look leather, non-sporty seats, etc.), but those are mostly things I could get used to. The E is my WANT. The GS is my REALITY.

Regarding wood, I do not like "plastic" that looks like wood. I assume those stick-on "wood kits" are plastic, no? And as in everything, you can have too much wood. Adding to the stock wood in the current GS, I would like to see the center console done in wood (not plastic-wood stuck onto plastic), along with dash where the radio/climate controls mount. Then I'd like a strip along the dash in front of the passenger seat. I would be perfectly happy if they stopped there. I personally don't like wood steering wheels. A wooden shift **** would be nice

And regarding add-ons to the suspension, I would prefer it if Lexus would refine it a bit in the next generation. It's not too far off now. I don't want to have to alter the suspension myself.

As far as the steering goes, I found it had too much assist while going slow, and just about right when on the highway. I would consider the steering ECU if available in the next generation GS if they haven't improved the steering, but has anyone considered an underdrive pulley on the steering pump?

Oh yeah, I want a fatter steering wheel on the next gen GS!

Yes, the higher reliability ratings in the JD Power survey's do add to my decision, but I must say that while I have had a number of nuisance issues with our C class, it has been highy reliable in getting me from point A to point B over the last 7 months (15K miles). The '03 GS I test drove had a small chip in the center console and the rear driver's side window made some nasty noises going up/down I do agree that any Toyota has a better chance of being less trouble than any other make.

Last edited by JimB; 01-13-03 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 06:20 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Jim, the wood is real walnut. You are correct about the leather, MB leather lasts forever and is superior. Oh, well, yet the latest leather in the LS 430 is a huge improvement; perhaps that will trickle down.
You can have Lexus put in a stiffer suspension and stiffer steering with a warranty. It makes a big difference.
Old 01-13-03, 06:20 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will never own a MB, by the time MB improvers on there reliability Lexus will be even farther ahead
Old 01-13-03, 06:28 PM
JimB
Driver School Candidate

The less than average rating Mercedes has received lately from JD Powers was mainly due to the junky ML SUV line built in the USA. I'd guess that most of the complaints recieved in reference to MB are ML related. I didn't buy the C class Benz for high reliabilty. I bought it because it has average reliability (neck-and-neck with BMW 3 series), solid-feeling build quality, safety, good looks and luxurious looking/feeling interior. Isn't it a wonderful world (okay...hemisphere) where no-one is forced to buy a car they don't want to?

Last edited by JimB; 01-13-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:44 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails Benz owner looking at Lexus...-5.jpg  
Old 01-13-03, 08:19 PM
JimB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting that pic. If I might respectfully rag on the current GS's interior- See that little slot below the center vents, where the clock is at in the pic you posted above? Why? It interrupts the smooth lines of the dash. They should've put the clock with the radio's display or put in the gauge cluster. It looks like an afterthought. Speaking of radio display, that backlit display looks like the same one on an old boombox I used to have. And the buttons? I don't like the lot's-o-same-sized-square-buttons-lined-up look. I like it more when buttons sort of match up against each other, making a shape, some what. This is of course just my opinion, I'm sure most of you'all are used to the car's interior design and may actually like it. I just hope they liven it up some in the next gen. Circles and curves aren't bad things

I like this...

Last edited by JimB; 01-13-03 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Benz owner looking at Lexus...