GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a '98 GS400 w/ Speed Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 08:36 AM
E36M3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a '98 GS400 w/ Speed Sensor Issue

What's up CL,
Just like the title says. I'm about to buy this car and according to the owner, the check engine light is on due to the speed sensor being bad. Will that be an easy fix? Is there an easy way to clear the CEL before replacing the speed sensor? I'm in California and I will have to get it smog before I can transfer it to my name. I need your input asap before I pull the trigger.
Thanks!
Old 08-09-13, 09:37 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, NEVER take the seller's word on such as why the CEL is on; take it to an Autozone or such parts store to get the codes read for free. The seller is trying to sell the car, and if dishonest he will tell you it's an easy fix.

Second, I would think that a faulty speed sensor should also trigger the ABS, VSC, and VSC OFF lights as all those depend on speed information at each wheel to function.

Thirdly, if it is actually the speed sensor, I believe it's about $250 for the part and you could DIY with information on this forum.

Fourthly, to read and clear codes related to ABS is not as easy as it is to read and clear the CEL, it requires a special scanner which places like Autozone do not have for the free CEL scanning.
Old 08-09-13, 09:41 AM
E36M3
Driver

Glad to know because I was about to drive 2 hours for it. I love this club. Thank you!
Old 08-09-13, 09:53 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E36M3
Glad to know because I was about to drive 2 hours for it. I love this club. Thank you!
Don't get me wrong, if that's all it really needs and the price is right you should consider getting it. The speed sensors are touchy on these cars, and they tend to fail when there is suspension work being done, e.g. lower ball joint replaced, etc.
Also, on that subject, the lower ball joints are notorious for failure on these cars with age and when they do fail it's at lower speeds since at higher speeds the force of the car speed keeps everything bound, but even though it's low risk of being life threatening it can still cause damage to the suspension and fender, and could rip-off the speed sensor wires. Ask him about the other lights if they are on, and ask him why he thinks it's a speed sensor, or what went wrong.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-13, 10:08 AM
E36M3
Driver

Originally Posted by wise2k
Don't get me wrong, if that's all it really needs and the price is right you should consider getting it. The speed sensors are touchy on these cars, and they tend to fail when there is suspension work being done, e.g. lower ball joint replaced, etc.
Also, on that subject, the lower ball joints are notorious for failure on these cars with age and when they do fail it's at lower speeds since at higher speeds the force of the car speed keeps everything bound, but even though it's low risk of being life threatening it can still cause damage to the suspension and fender, and could rip-off the speed sensor wires. Ask him about the other lights if they are on, and ask him why he thinks it's a speed sensor, or what went wrong.

Good luck!
Spoke with the owner.
He said two lights are on, CEL and VSC. He also said the VSC button next to the shifter isn't functioning. He also said that it does not affect drive ability.
NOTE: The car has 204xxx miles, he owned it for 4 years, and the t-belt and w-pump hasn't been replaced since he owned it. He also doesn't know if it has been replaced by the previous owner before him.
It worries me because I feel like it's a ticking time bomb if they are still original. How much will it cost to replace cooling system (w-pump, idlers, tensioners, coolant) + t-belt?
Old 08-09-13, 10:48 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoke with the owner.
He said two lights are on, CEL and VSC. He also said the VSC button next to the shifter isn't functioning. He also said that it does not affect drive ability.
NOTE: The car has 204xxx miles, he owned it for 4 years, and the t-belt and w-pump hasn't been replaced since he owned it. He also doesn't know if it has been replaced by the previous owner before him.
It worries me because I feel like it's a ticking time bomb if they are still original. How much will it cost to replace cooling system (w-pump, idlers, tensioners, coolant) + t-belt?
Honestly if it's like that you may want to pass on it for the mere fact he doesn't know if it's been done and he's owned it for 4 years and hasn't replaced it himself either? You may be in for a bit of a ride after purchasing it. I'd go on Lexus.com and enter the VIN to see what has been done at the actual Lexus dealerships. From that get from him all the information he has and paperwork on work he has done to the car also. With 204k miles you could be looking at quite a bit of work if it hasn't been taken care of such as water pump, timing belt, tensioner pulley, drive belt, door lock actuators, O2 sensors, suspension parts like LBJ, outer tie rods, inner tie rods, caster arms, upper control arms, rear axel bushings and the list goes on... I mean to be honest changing out stuff on our cars is fairly easy, but if you're looking to really buy a car and just drive without having to do much work to and spend money on you may want to keep looking. This is purely just my opinion though.
Old 08-09-13, 11:57 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Spoke with the owner.
He said two lights are on, CEL and VSC. He also said the VSC button next to the shifter isn't functioning.
I would've walked the other way on that premise alone
Old 08-10-13, 09:18 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Bad speed sensor likely would disable VSC and have a CEL, makes sense.

Propose to the guy that he fixes it and then you would be interested in buying the, keep him on the hook for the repairs, not you taking the chance.

It COULD be just that simple. But let the seller take the risk of fixing it.

Concerns arise on the timing belt too.... Talked my friend who works at Lexus, he hasn't seen any break, but he has seen some that were pretty scary. Mine's due now, I have to get the parts to do my rubber band and water pump. He said he wouldn't do the pump on his own car, but he would wait, but on a customer car he would always recommend the pump due to the cost of doing the same work twice. Long run saves $.