GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Overdrive...changes I should notice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 02:35 PM
scrim67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive...changes I should notice

I just realized after reading my owners manual that I've been driving in 4th gear instead of the "D" gear all the time since acquiring my '98 gs 300 two weeks ago.

Now that I will drive in the "D" gear from now on what, if any changes should I immediately notice?

Car drove pretty nicely in 4th. I understand "D" gear uses overdrive while 4th doesn't.

What does this mean in layman's terms?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Scrim
Old 01-14-03, 02:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

It simply means you never shifted into fifth gear.

You'll notice at speeds (probably > 40mph under normal/light accelleration) that the car is quieter and you'll get slightly better gas mileage.

On the highway, you'll feel less 'lugging' if you take your foot off the gas if you're going over 60 or so.
Old 01-14-03, 04:25 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

On the highway, you'll feel less 'lugging' if you take your foot off the gas if you're going over 60 or so.
Dave, I think you mean "engine braking" when you say "lugging"; lugging refers to the phenomenon that occurs in a manual trans car that is going too slow for the gear it is in and the tranmission is trying to drive the engine, rather than vice versa.....sounds like knocking, car will start to jerk slightly. Not good for the motor, obviously.

:eek:
Old 01-14-03, 05:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by mooretorque

Dave, I think you mean "engine braking" when you say "lugging"; lugging refers to the phenomenon that occurs in a manual trans car that is going too slow for the gear it is in and the tranmission is trying to drive the engine, rather than vice versa.....sounds like knocking, car will start to jerk slightly. Not good for the motor, obviously.

:eek:
Yep, you are correct Dr M! Sorry, lugging was on my mind - I test drove a new M3 SMG and it had some serious lugging issues at a couple of lights. Cool car though.
Old 01-14-03, 05:06 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4

Yep, you are correct Dr M! Sorry, lugging was on my mind - I test drove a new M3 SMG and it had some serious lugging issues at a couple of lights. Cool car though.

Dave,

you mean the test driver of the M3 had some serious lugging issues (meaning he didn't downshift)?

Or did you drive the car in the automatic mode?
Old 01-14-03, 05:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I was driving the car and it was in automatic mode. Pulled off from a light, slowed down a bit and the car went nuts... like a frikkin bronco that had been stuck with a hot poker. I thought I was going to lose a filling!

My GF (who is thinking about getting one) had driven the car the previous weekend and the same thing had happened to her. Dunno, the dealer acted like "what, I didn't notice anything"

now.... back to our regularly scheduled overdrive thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-14-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 07:14 PM
scrim67
Rookie

so my question is.....

under what circumstances would I want to switch gears from "D" to "4"?

when I want to pass someone on a one lane highway with a semi truck coming from the other direction perhaps?

thanks,

scrim
Old 01-14-03, 07:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by scrim67
so my question is.....

when I want to pass someone on a one lane highway with a semi truck coming from the other direction perhaps?

thanks,

scrim
No, you should just floor it in that occasion :eek: .

IMO you should leave it in 'D' nearly all the time. Typically the only time I shift into another gear is when I'm going down a long grade and want to use the engine for braking.

I also will shift to '3' on the highway when I think I might get into a race with an upcoming or about-to-pass car so I don't have to wait for the shift town. I use my e-shift (don't think you have this on your year GS3).
Old 01-14-03, 08:40 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Sorry, lugging was on my mind
No worries; my mind is usually lugging.......I think I'll go supply it with some Budweiser transmission fluid.

don't think you have this on your year GS3
Correct; Lexus gave the GS3 E-shift in 01, the year they took it away from the GS4(30).
Old 01-14-03, 09:47 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by scrim67
so my question is.....

thanks,

scrim
I also use downshifting when running on slick roads, so i do not have to brake as much. It helps slow the car down without losing a lot of traction. I just used it tonight, cuz of the snow. Also if your speeding and you see a cop but dont wanna use your brakes, you can downshift to slow down.
Old 01-15-03, 03:53 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jaymode

I also use downshifting when running on slick roads, so i do not have to brake as much. It helps slow the car down without losing a lot of traction. I just used it tonight, cuz of the snow. Also if your speeding and you see a cop but dont wanna use your brakes, you can downshift to slow down.
and if u REALLY need to slow down, there is always the parkin brake...but that can get scary at times...
Old 01-15-03, 05:00 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

I believe....

4th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio...

5th gear (or overdrive) is a higher ratio than 1:1.

You'd want to use it only at freeway speeds to help conserve gas.

Hope I didn't restate anything obvious???

Tim
Old 01-16-03, 06:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

I also use downshifting when running on slick roads, so i do not have to brake as much.
I do it, too, but brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

It helps slow the car down without losing a lot of traction. I just used it tonight, cuz of the snow.
Engine braking occurs at the rear wheels, and CAN cause the rear tires to break loose in that circumstance, which means that they may want to come around front and see what's going on (oversteer/spin). It's less likely with an auto transmission car, but you're definitely better off using your brakes gently than your transmission in really low traction situations. If for no other reason, you'll use 4 contact patches to slow down with.

and if u REALLY need to slow down, there is always the parkin brake....
Well, it won't slow you down VERY much.
but that can get scary at times.
Roger that; another one of those oversteer spins........altho if you have a handbrake (instead of the footbrake we have on the GS), it can be a pretty well controlled way to spin the car (with practice).

Just a couple of things to think about............