GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Changed my AC and Radio display color

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-05, 01:22 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default This is Awesome!

This is an old thread but Very Nice- Rock, I hope you are still doing this?
I like to change out my dome light (Blue), 2 front foot well lights (Blue), and my Ignition ring to RED. Can you tell me what I need and if possible I like to buy it from you..

Regards,
Don
Old 12-24-05, 01:50 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i kinda just ran into a problem with two of my buttons on the nav went out......i remember with my LS i changed the leds with a set from Radio shack.....does anyone if i could do this with the gs?????
Old 12-24-05, 01:51 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Unhappy ac display

I honestly do not remember.. It was a while ago when I did that, but I got the cell phone LED's from Hong Kong(ebay) and the tools, I have. They come in small strips and you have to cut them to solder them on to the radio circuit board. I used 2 because in some locations, it would have been dimmer on the radio. I hope this helps.

Rock
Old 12-24-05, 01:56 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default ac display

Originally Posted by DuttyLeXus
i kinda just ran into a problem with two of my buttons on the nav went out......i remember with my LS i changed the leds with a set from Radio shack.....does anyone if i could do this with the gs?????
You should because the parts that they use are pretty much the same. Just check the circuit board, but they should work.

Rock
Old 03-18-08, 12:43 PM
BLUEV8DGS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Ahh you're gunna beat me to it!

I was planning on changing the door LED's to white ones. The cover on my LS's doro switches is black and the green light barely shines through.

Also, did anyone know that the key holes on the doors are illuminated too?

They are too dim to see though.
on which model? the GS 98-05, or was it only year specific?
Old 05-11-08, 07:05 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockero28
AND.. here is the shifter assembly. Well what do you all think???

Rock
Is this supposed to light up on the 98 GS4? Mine hasn't since I've owned the car (about a year). Kinda wish it did.
Any DIY on disassembling the console? I also need ot replace the light on one of the seat heater switches.
JimA
Old 05-11-08, 07:40 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

Originally Posted by Gunnut
Is this supposed to light up on the 98 GS4? Mine hasn't since I've owned the car (about a year). Kinda wish it did.
Any DIY on disassembling the console? I also need ot replace the light on one of the seat heater switches.
JimA
nah,
the 98-05 GS don't have it.
i have a 93 LS400 and it does it.
Sometimes i wonder why Lexus doesn't put some modifications which they had on older models on the new ones. this for example, u would think their 98 car would at least have a illluminated key which their 93 did.
Old 05-11-08, 07:50 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by Gunnut
JimA
nah,
the 98-05 GS don't have it.
i have a 93 LS400 and it does it.
Sometimes i wonder why Lexus doesn't put some modifications which they had on older models on the new ones. this for example, u would think their 98 car would at least have a illluminated key which their 93 did.
Old 05-11-08, 09:13 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

A blast from the past
Old 07-02-08, 10:36 PM
wslewis
Driver School Candidate

Question

Hello!! New to this site... i know this is an extremely old post but can anyone point me in the right direction on how to start this mod??? i have a couple of led's out on my radio and a/c and this would be the best time for me to change the color.... any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!
Old 07-03-08, 11:44 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Cool Welcome aboard Rookie!

Well, as I had previously stated, the LED's were the cell phone types I got from ebay, but you could also get them at your local Fry's. They will come in a strip and you then have to cut and solder them. Also, you will need to put in resistors because of the voltage diference. I don't recommend this unless you are really just want to do it as a hobbby, or are pretty savy with electronics. Just keep in mind that it's very time consuming and there is a possibility you will fry your circuit board if you are not careful. As you see from my pics, the radio has to be completely dissasembled and the existing bulbs and covers removed from the circuit boards. But it can be done as I did and the pics show you. I hope this helps and good luck young Simba! I would always recommend just replacing the unit. It will be faster and easier.

Rock
Old 07-31-08, 10:59 AM
HiHoSilver
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great !!! How much for you to change mine out ???
Old 09-06-08, 01:45 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

I had also done this, very similar
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275886
Old 02-16-09, 03:37 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Specs, PLEASE!

Alright Jxd or Rockero28--I have taken apart my stereo & HVAC, and searched for info, and taken apart the stereo again. I'm ready to tackle this mod (swap incandescent for white LEDs).

I just need help with materials! Here in Wisconsin, Radio Shack folks look at me like I'm a crack smoker... I need to know the specs on the LED and the resistor used. A source for these parts would be great, but I'll take what I can get.

The best I've come up with so far is a T1 LED with like a 380 or 500 ohm resistor (I forgot exactly, I'd have to search for that post).
Old 02-16-09, 06:29 AM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Wow very nice and skilled!

Quick Reply: Changed my AC and Radio display color