GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Key fob / remote malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 03:01 PM
JustaBowla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob / remote malfunctioning

I have been having this problem with my remote for a couple months now and it is really starting to drive me nuts!

My remote either isn't transmitting or my car isn't receiving, but what is weird about it is that if I use the electric locks on the door, then suddenly the remote starts working and will continue working until I don't use it. So say I go to work in the morning and when I get there it isn't working, so I press the lock button on the door and the doors lock, I get out shut the door and hit the lock button on the remote and it works fine. Then I come back to my car at lunch and it unlocks fine from the remote. Go home get out and go inside, mind you not locking in any way, come out go back to work and when I get to work the remote won't work again... Hope I made cents here!

I have done the reprogramming from another thread and it was succesful per those instructions and yes all my actuators work fine. Everything locks and unlocks how it should when I use the door electonic locks.

Please help I need this fixed!!!
Old 09-24-13, 11:28 AM
JustaBowla
Driver School Candidate

So nobody knows anything about this issue or ever heard of it? Man this sucks, running out of options. I replaced the battery a while back thinking that was the issue and nothing. Please someone help me resolve this.
Old 02-06-14, 10:55 AM
boostedg
Driver School Candidate

Has any one found a solution to this?? I am having the same problem.

Every once in a while my car will not respond to my remote key. My remote key with flash red but my car will not beep or do anything at all. If I manually press the lock or unlock button on my door panel then try out my remote key, every function on my remote key will work just fine. I really want to find out what I need to replace for my car to be normal again. I just recently had a bad experience where I manually locked my car using the lock button on my door panel but when I tried to use my remote key nothing happened. I had to break into my car thru the trunk since for some reason my key would not open my front doors. Has any one else had this happen to them??
Old 02-06-14, 12:52 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Try replacing the battery in the fob maybe?
Old 02-06-14, 04:40 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope, one of your mpx modules is on it's way out that receives the transmit signal from the key and vice versa, if one doesent work the car will not lock/unlock the door with the key fob to set the alarm on or off, it's probally a body mpx module No way around it but to find which one is bad, take it to a dealer

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-06-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 10:09 AM
boostedg
Driver School Candidate

It is definitely not the fob battery. I got a new one the same day just to make sure.

And by MPX modules are your referring to the little black box in each door that controls the windows? I read in another thread that the receiver that receives the signal for the fob remote is actually in the rear c pillar on the passenger side.

Also what about my key not being able to open my front doors manually? Does the alarm trigger this or is there a chance I did not connect the rods correctly since I put on Aristo chrome door handles?? I used the same OEM lock cylinder/tumbler when I changed out the handles.
Old 02-07-14, 01:00 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedg
It is definitely not the fob battery. I got a new one the same day just to make sure.

And by MPX modules are your referring to the little black box in each door that controls the windows? I read in another thread that the receiver that receives the signal for the fob remote is actually in the rear c pillar on the passenger side.

Also what about my key not being able to open my front doors manually? Does the alarm trigger this or is there a chance I did not connect the rods correctly since I put on Aristo chrome door handles?? I used the same OEM lock cylinder/tumbler when I changed out the handles.
If they don't open manually with the key, then that's your problem, the rods have to be in the right position upward in the little plastic slots, your notice if u take one of the rods out and it will fall down a little bit cause u have to lift them up to get to the little lever clips that hold them, if one of the rods is in the down position resting, u can hit your key fob and it will not work, hold it up with your finger and hit the fob and the car will respond and beep, yes the receiver is in the passenger side pillar, I did the mod to make the whole body of the car act as an antenna and it didn't work, the fob range sucks on these cars, I got an aftermarket alarm/autostart and my autostart fob works hundreds of yards away it's awesome, I would recheck the rods at the door handles u replaced starting with the drivers side then passenger...
Old 02-10-14, 09:22 AM
JustaBowla
Driver School Candidate

So this MPX module or modules, where are they at? Which one controls what functions? How do you replace them, can it be replaced by someone other than a dealer?

What I find interesting about this, is I have a couple other things I have noticed in the time I've owned this car.

-The doors do not lock when I put it in drive. Nor do they unlock when I put it in park. (this is no big deal, but it seems odd...
-Sometimes when turning, hitting bumps, or door gets shut hard. The doors unlock. They are never locked when this happens due to the previous thing. But they all make the sound and stay unlocked.

Maybe these have to do with this MPX module, you all would know more than I.
Old 02-10-14, 09:50 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

my 98 gs4's remote key is acting up after replacing 2 front and 1 rear passenger side actuators. itll unlock the door from outside with the key inserted but sometimes it triggers the panic alarm. tried reprogramming the key several times, replaced the battery still no luck. i wonder if i forgot to plug something in while doing the actuators. i do have an aftermarket auto start ( its awesome ) and it unlocks all 4 doors just fine