GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Veilside Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03 | 03:46 PM
Gstt
Banned

So lets say this is a situation,

brand new brake caliper is this much $$$$$
used caliper is $$$$$$$$ less,
Rebuilding the caliper + painting it= new quality + less $$$$$$

sometimes it's better to go the cheaper route,

fake bodykit that looks identical to other bodykit, if u can't tell the difference, u think someone else will?

PLUS who cares if it's a fake, as long as it looks good on the lex.

if it didn't, that would be a different story.....

Old 01-19-03 | 05:05 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Knockoff kits tend to have problems and if you can't afford something real then by all means go with something cheap with lesser quality.. Or maybe buy yourself a Honda so you can afford the aftermarket parts.. If your going to start modding a car do it right and make sure that you can afford to do it right.. Not saying Cosm can't afford to do it right but saying in general.. If you can't afford the aftermarket prices for our Lexo's then don't MOD them.. Keep it stock so that way know one can say *****.. I know I wouldn't go around with fake crap on my car, and then try to pass it off like it's genuine... Please, if I know then that's enough for me and I'd really feel like a loser rolling around in a Lexus and treating it like a Honda.. Do what you have to, but people hold their own judgments and sometimes what other people think and hurt feelings..
Old 01-19-03 | 05:07 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, Gstt what kit do you have on your ride?? I saw a pic of it but I didn't reconize the kit...
Old 01-19-03 | 05:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

there's a difference between a NO-BRAND kit and a COPIED-BRAND kit.

Unless the copy has great quality, I would totally stay away from them.

Hey I guess we can all get Hyundais and slap on GS headlights and taillights. No one can tell the difference, so they're the same right?
Old 01-19-03 | 07:15 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Default Deal !

I agree with GSTT, What I am saying is that everybody wants a good deal right ?? I never said to get a crap copy, what if it was high quality material but doesn't have the brand name saving $$ If all you big ballers out there talking about "if you can't afford it then don't get it" then why are you driving a lexus and not something better ? It's the same deal with the TT setup, people say that it is ridiculous to spend that much money but it is preference. Same Here. And Sypher, your friend future just got your rims but since he doesn't have the money to buy NICE rims then should have he just stuck with the factory 16" ? Right ?? NOT , Bottom line, everybody wants a deal. And if you are gonna pay top $$ for everything then maybe you should be driving something else !
Old 01-19-03 | 10:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Deal !

Originally posted by Cosm
I agree with GSTT, What I am saying is that everybody wants a good deal right ?? I never said to get a crap copy, what if it was high quality material but doesn't have the brand name saving $$ If all you big ballers out there talking about "if you can't afford it then don't get it" then why are you driving a lexus and not something better ? It's the same deal with the TT setup, people say that it is ridiculous to spend that much money but it is preference. Same Here. And Sypher, your friend future just got your rims but since he doesn't have the money to buy NICE rims then should have he just stuck with the factory 16" ? Right ?? NOT , Bottom line, everybody wants a deal. And if you are gonna pay top $$ for everything then maybe you should be driving something else !
The money for some fake-knock-off 20s costs about the same as some high-quality 17s. I would go with 17s.

Everyone wants a deal of course. But saving money by buying cheap-but-good stuff is alot better than buying cheap-but-faking-high-quality stuff.

It's nothing different from wearing fake Armani stuff. Hey they look the same but that's about it. It'll probably melt when rain hits it.
Old 01-19-03 | 11:54 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

You pay for what you get.. My friend Future is still a kid and can't afford anything and yes IMO he shouldn't mod is car if he doesn't have the dough to do it right.. I practically gave him those rims because for his situation, just like I do with everything else.. Also why should we be driving something else?? I actually think the car I have is a great car.. It fits my budget just right.. Buying the car straight out or the mods that I've done has not lighten my pockets in the slightest... Listen if you want to roll around with knockoff crap on your car go ahead, but what I'm saying is that I wouldn't... And many others here feel the same.. Cosm do what's best for you.. F@ck it, if you can't afford a real one then go out and get the knockoff...

Last edited by MrSypher; 01-20-03 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-20-03 | 03:20 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

how is putting a chevy engine into your car ryce.....
1. its too expensive
2. it doesnt have that annoying 4 cyl. sound
3. its actually got power

ryce is a type of car where the owner spends x amount of money fixing it up but the job looks like he did it at home with out the proper tools. basically a poor quality job. the car is usually still slow as hell after x amount of cash is invested. it is also ryce when the various components of the car's body dont match making the car uglier than it was to start with.

i agree if the copy is flawless then whatever. but its also known the 99% of copies SUCK and dont fit right. well good luck on your quest for a good copy of veilslide hood. they are pretty nice. got taste there cosm. but remember a good deal is different than paying less for same design but lowered quality. if you want a good deal then go get hooked up. make soem friends.

btw, MR Sypher isnt it "you get what you pay for"?

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 01-20-03 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-20-03 | 06:07 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i don't look upon knock-offs as harshly as others, but its generally a bad thing anyways. if the piece(s) is of significantly poor quality, then it should be avoided.

but there is the chance of a good knock-off. it offers the look or performance without the high tag, yet with quality, then its not so bad. let me say this specifically: i munch giant bags of generic cereal and bought 70 dvd's in asia for $1.15 each. do i feel bad? hell no
Old 01-20-03 | 12:52 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
how is putting a chevy engine into your car ryce.....
1. its too expensive
2. it doesnt have that annoying 4 cyl. sound
3. its actually got power

ryce is a type of car where the owner spends x amount of money fixing it up but the job looks like he did it at home with out the proper tools. basically a poor quality job. the car is usually still slow as hell after x amount of cash is invested. it is also ryce when the various components of the car's body dont match making the car uglier than it was to start with.

i agree if the copy is flawless then whatever. but its also known the 99% of copies SUCK and dont fit right. well good luck on your quest for a good copy of veilslide hood. they are pretty nice. got taste there cosm. but remember a good deal is different than paying less for same design but lowered quality. if you want a good deal then go get hooked up. make soem friends.

btw, MR Sypher isnt it "you get what you pay for"?
#1 Too Expensive ??? Than What ?? SC or TT ??
#2 4Cyl ?? What kind of GS has a 4 Cyl??
#3 Got Power ?? Maybe you should have bought a corvette instead of putting a vette engine in your lex ?

Nobody said I was gonna make a hood out of cardboard and shredded paper. There are some good fiberglass shops that can make them with quality and still not cost as much as the original.I have seen on different boards that there are places in miami that can make carbon fiber hood, has anybody seen a veilside type hood made of carbon fiber ? I see it done on alot of boards for different cars with people happy. Ok so if my hood doesn't last 100 years ! SO WHAT ! I am not gonna have it in 100 years, I go through cars 2 times a year. If it looks good and works good while saving me $$ then I am gonna get it .

The biggest mistake here is for all that assumed the copy would be low quality. NOBODY SAID THAT ! I also wonder why everybody loves the hood but nobody has one ??? Maybe the price doesn't justify the look ? If it were 1/2 price I am sure you would see alot riding around. PERIOD !
Old 01-20-03 | 01:05 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

The biggest mistake here is for all that assumed the copy would be low quality. NOBODY SAID THAT ! I also wonder why everybody loves the hood but nobody has one ??? Maybe the price doesn't justify the look ? If it were 1/2 price I am sure you would see alot riding around. PERIOD !
You absolutely right.... You know what go make your hood... Or even I'll go half with ya make as many copies as you'd like and we can split the profits... How does that sound??

Oh and Royce, same crap......
Old 01-20-03 | 01:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I also wonder why everybody loves the hood but nobody has one ??? Maybe the price doesn't justify the look ? If it were 1/2 price I am sure you would see alot riding around. PERIOD !
I think you're making an incorrect assumption here with 'everybody' loving the hood.

While I think the Veilside hood IS very cool and aggressive looking (by far the best aftermarket hood I've seen for GS), I would never put one on my GS. Period.

I'd suspect much larger percentage of folks with a Lexus GS would rather concentrate on less aggressive-looking aesthtic mods, regardless of the price or fittment.
Old 01-20-03 | 04:04 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
Knockoff kits tend to have problems and if you can't afford something real then by all means go with something cheap with lesser quality..
I know this all to well...I bought the "knockoff" kit for the Blitz kit...the kit its self saved me around 3k...well when I went to the body shop to get the kit put on they started to laugh at me when they saw the condition of it...the rear bumper was cracked...that was gona be more money to fix...the front bumper didn't fit nor did the rear...in order for it to fit I would have to take off my impact beams (an insurance nono...get hit and the car is messed up bad...insurance blames you for takeing the beams off)...the side skirts were the only thing that fit half-way decent...I called the company they told me that is my azz...deal with it...if I don't like it...ship it back and pay the re-stocking fee...well screw that I am not about to pay for a kit that dosen't fit the car...no matter how much...to this day I wont buy anything from carismautotec.com...well thanks to they body shop they bought the kit off me for a fair price insted of sticking me with it....I went and bought the real deal there on after that experiance....all I am saying is you pay for what you get...if you wana be cheap about it than that is what you get something cheap...YOU have to tell everyone what it is...weather they laugh at you or not is a different story...build the car for yourself...not anyone else...but if it is for you wouldn't you want the car to be mint and the real deal...who wants knockoffs!!!???....

Also why in the hell are we even arguing the point of putting a Chevy engin in the GS...that is just plain stupid...people like you don't deserve a GS...especially with a comment like that...rice is putting fear this stickers on your car...or putting knock off crap on...we all know what it is...we see it everyday....I pray we don't see it on a GS...

-KRis
Old 01-20-03 | 07:32 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

though the hood IS nice most people buy the car for its luxury, this hood gives it an overly aggressive look for most folks like me. plus id have to buy the rest of the kit cause it looks out of place with a stock body resulting in too big a bite off my wallet.
i think i know a guy that does fiberglass work. if i remember his name & where he works ill hit you up cosm.

as for the whole chevy engine, you misinterpret me too much for me to care to continue.

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 01-20-03 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-20-03 | 11:45 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Default quality

like someone said earlier , they purchased a no name kit and it didn't fit right and the company wouldn't take it back, its not worth it. i've seen noname kits around for a lot less than what my kit cost. but i decided to wait threw the summer, it killed me to miss the the summer but i rather wait and miss one summer and get the kit i wanted to rock for the summers to come. i just ordered my RMM kit and can't wait to get it and throw it on we can do that here in florida, by the way Cosm r u fom west palm beach i think i saw that car here b 4 . i'll b looking for a nice bodyshop to paint my kit could u pm with some info as to where to get a nice job done down here. i'm pretty knew to the area .

Quick Reply: Veilside Hood