GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 vs GS430, what improved\changed between the two models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 02:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question GS400 vs GS430, what improved\changed between the two models?

OK so what has changed, I mean like tell me every last detail.

Here's what I've figured out so far:
- Upgrade from 4.0 liters to 4.3 liters (although no increase in peak horsepower or torque? Did all the extra power just go under the curve, or what?)
-Nakamichi went to Mark Levinson which most people agree was a small but noticable improvement in sound quality.
Navigation was changed to DVD-based instead of hard-drive based, so it's cheaper and easier to update. I also think the screen might have gotten a tad bit larger and higher-resolution.
-The upgraded stereo and navigation can now be ordered together, whereas on the 400 it was one or the other, your choice, period.
- E-shift controls were lost, but steering-wheel audio controls were gained. Not to mention the steering wheel itself seems revised
-I know the tail lights changed, and I've heard once before that the HID headlights were revised to a slightly more efficient style as well.
- Side airbags added
- More wood trim added
- Slightly improved sound-deadening added
- Did the front seats get 'upgraded'? (not sure about this one, let me know)

OK so this is where my knowledge stops and yours begin, just list anything that I've left out or tell me if I've listed anything incorrectly and I'll revise the list. And please forgive me if this has already been posted. I tried searching for "GS400 vs GS430" and got hundreds upon hundreds of threads, but none really seemed to be anything like what I was looking for.
Old 01-17-03, 02:16 AM
Gstt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U lost the best feature of that car,
E-shift.
Old 01-17-03, 03:47 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

horsepower stayed the same, torque went up slightly to 325 lbs/ft.

The car became a ULEV (by loosing the E-shift). Titanium rings around the gauges in the instrument cluster. Chrome shifter plate trim. May be, gas tank was re-located slightly. Engine cover is different (nicer, I think).
Old 01-17-03, 04:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and the 430 is heavier
Old 01-17-03, 05:12 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Default Re: GS400 vs GS430, what improved\changed between the two models?

(Nakamichi went to Mark Levinson which most people agree was a small but noticable improvement in sound quality) - Yes, the ML gets rave reviews.

(Navigation was changed to DVD-based instead of hard-drive based, so it's cheaper and easier to update. I also think the screen might have gotten a tad bit larger and higher-resolution) - I believe the Nav. switched to DVD's in 2000 or 2001. I'm not sure when the GS switched to the wide screen display, but it looks nice.

(I know the tail lights changed, and I've heard once before that the HID headlights were revised to a slightly more efficient style as well) - Not sure what "efficient style" means, but in 2001 the headlight housings started to have a blue/green tint.

(More wood trim added) - I think just the wood ashtray, but I could be wrong.

(Slightly improved sound-deadening added) - I haven't heard this before. But newer cars always seem to sound quieter.

(Did the front seats get 'upgraded'?) - if you mean sport seats, no. But some models offered a perforated leather option.

In recent models, Lexus also utilized "rain repellant" front windows. This may have started in 2001 or 2002.
Old 01-17-03, 08:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Color also changed

Another change was that they changed the Silver from "Alpine" to "Millenium". The difference between the two is that the Millenium version has a gold or yellowish tone to it. IMHO it does not look as good as the Alpine version of the Silver. I have a 1999 GS400 which has the alpine version of the Silver and that is one of the reasons why I bought as opposed to anything 2000 and newer.

Also, the torque is higher at 325 lb/ft and this is reached at a lower rpm
Old 01-17-03, 12:11 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Color also changed

Originally posted by Hameed
Another change was that they changed the Silver from "Alpine" to "Millenium". The difference between the two is that the Millenium version has a gold or yellowish tone to it. IMHO it does not look as good as the Alpine version of the Silver. I have a 1999 GS400 which has the alpine version of the Silver and that is one of the reasons why I bought as opposed to anything 2000 and newer.

Also, the torque is higher at 325 lb/ft and this is reached at a lower rpm
Alpine/Millenium what???

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a newbie to Lexus and would like to know the slight diff between the years.
Old 01-17-03, 12:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Alpine/Millenium

Just a different shade of silver. The first is is more true silver and the second has a yellowish hue or tinge to the silver. Alpine looks better I think as it is more brighter and silver in color.
Old 01-17-03, 12:21 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Perforated front seats showed up in '03.
Old 01-17-03, 12:28 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

DVD navigation and rain repellant front front windshield and front side windows were both added in the 2001 model year when the GS430 was introduced.

Perforated seats were just added this year, I think. It's something I wish I had, actually.

Even though E-Shift is gone on the GS430, gate shifting works very well for holding gears and forcing a downshift (e.g., engine braking). It does lose the "cool factor," though.

Can't remember if I saw this, but the GS430 revised the grill slightly and the taillights. Most people seem to prefer the simplified taillights of the GS430, and it's a simple mod to put them on the GS400.

I think the main wood addition was the ashtray area, but I think also it was the first year that the GS4 was offered with a wood-and-leather steering wheel. I could be wrong in that, though. I generally thought that E-Shift and wood-and-leather were mutually-exclusive from Lexus.
Old 01-17-03, 12:52 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I personally would rather have the Audio controls the 430 has then the E-shift my 300 has. I have used the e-shift 2-3 times max. I use the radio/CD player everyday.
Old 01-17-03, 02:18 PM
Gstt
Banned

Originally posted by Hameed
Alpine/Millenium

Just a different shade of silver. The first is is more true silver and the second has a yellowish hue or tinge to the silver. Alpine looks better I think as it is more brighter and silver in color.
I got a 2000gs400, millenium sliver, LOOKS good 2 me, i don't see no yellowish shade. CRAZY SILVER, More metalic.

The 2000gs400's were the last year, hence, they got a little special features.
Old 01-17-03, 03:57 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mdw131
I personally would rather have the Audio controls the 430 has then the E-shift my 300 has. I have used the e-shift 2-3 times max. I use the radio/CD player everyday.
I don't know about that. I think the steering wheel mounted volume up/down buttons are unacceptable. Tiny, hidden, and super-slow to change the volume. Track selection/mode buttons ok though.

Anyone else hate those lame volume buttons??
Old 01-17-03, 04:06 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Gstt

I got a 2000gs400, millenium sliver, LOOKS good 2 me, i don't see no yellowish shade. CRAZY SILVER, More metalic.

The 2000gs400's were the last year, hence, they got a little special features.
When my alpine silver gs is parked next to my girlfriend's millenium silver LS430, the difference is obvious. The millenium definitely has a lighter color. But the millenium silver still looks great...way different (and better) than gold!
Old 01-17-03, 04:15 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Ex996

I don't know about that. I think the steering wheel mounted volume up/down buttons are unacceptable. Tiny, hidden, and super-slow to change the volume. Track selection/mode buttons ok though.

Anyone else hate those lame volume buttons??
I love them, actually. It helps to unclutter the set of buttons on the wheel while offering much more functionality at a touch than, say, my Acura TL's redundant controls did.

Given that gate shifting offers me the basic features I'd use in E-Shift, I agree that I'd take the redundant stereo controls over E-Shift.

Quick Reply: GS400 vs GS430, what improved\changed between the two models?