GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Accident crushed my front wrecked engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13 | 05:11 PM
rena
Driver

Default Accident crushed my front wrecked engine?

My rare black on black Lexus gs430 was involved in an accident. I was not driving, Nor was I in the car. The driver of my vehicle was in the slow lane going around 50 and the perpetrator was in the slow lane going probably 20 way under the speed limit and then yanked over into my lexus lane as he was passing While looking at the car wondering why it was going so slow. The driver of my vehicle could do nothing and hit him and both slamming on the brakes and the front end of my vehicle was crushed. I am concerned on the body damage the auto Body shop is looking at it but I would like to know about the engine it was hit pretty hard should I take it to a mechanic? I will be posting pics later today.
Old 09-30-13 | 09:02 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Post pics! Is insurance fully covering your damages?
Old 09-30-13 | 09:54 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by rena
...The driver of my vehicle was in the slow lane going around 50 and the perpetrator was in the slow lane going probably 20 way under the speed limit and then yanked over into my lexus lane as he was passing.
That sounds like an insurance scam set-up: cut in front of somebody, slam on the brakes, get rear-ended, then claim neck injury and sue.
Old 10-01-13 | 09:12 PM
rena
Driver

Default Your right

It does but doesnt look like it will be in his favor... Looks like 100 percent there fault. I thought i did post pics. Weird. Okay here goes again. They are saying 7500 in damages. That is not even looking at the engine. Im looking to write it off now.

Last edited by rena; 10-01-13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-01-13 | 10:44 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Hmm, you're in the wrong section. This is the 3rd gen GS section..... But I guess accidents are universal .

On another note.... Did you see any physical damage to the engine? Were there any fluids leaking on the accident scene?
Old 10-01-13 | 10:49 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Doesn't look too bad, should be fixable. Did the airbags deploy? Usually if airbags don't deploy, its a minor accident.. From the pics, Engine should be intacted.
Old 10-02-13 | 08:26 AM
rena
Driver

Default Was in an accident before

I know this was in an accident before. Though it says it was not when i purchased it It was obvious that there were parts that had been bonded and you could see that there is a separation on grooves etc. All that was fixed so you would not have known now. But either way the bags are not there Im sure.
The bags should have been deployed. It was hit pretty hard.
The engine light is on and its running rough now.... The rad has been pushed in leaning against pipes too. Its an 2004. I was informed it was a third gen. Sorry.

So close to 8,000 in damage would this not be a write off? The car has 240,000 kilometers on it. Ive been trying to sell it and now who is gonna bite on this much damage to a car?

Last edited by rena; 10-02-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-02-13 | 09:37 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

moving thread to 2GS forum...
Old 10-02-13 | 10:52 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Can you run a clip of it running "rough"? If you can, make sure to record around the engine so members can see if they could help you diagnose behind the PC. It's hard to tell you what's wrong when we don't know where to go from there.

GL OP!
Old 10-03-13 | 09:11 AM
LayedOut
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Doesn't look too bad, should be fixable. Did the airbags deploy? Usually if airbags don't deploy, its a minor accident.. From the pics, Engine should be intacted.
bags didnt deploy cause not a structural hit the airbag sensors are attached to the frame rails which has a big reiforcemnet bolted to it under the front bumper cover and if that frame rail gets hit hard enough the bags will deploy, it looks like they hit a taller vehicle cause the front bumper does not appear to be damaged in the photo it looks like the vehicle slid right above the reinforcement and took out the hood and rad support, i get these hits at my shop every day typically an easy fix just costly for parts. alot of times vehicle start running rought after an accident due to the airbox being broken or moved and it is sucking unmetered air through the MAF
Old 10-03-13 | 10:04 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rena
I know this was in an accident before. Though it says it was not when i purchased it It was obvious that there were parts that had been bonded and you could see that there is a separation on grooves etc. All that was fixed so you would not have known now. But either way the bags are not there Im sure.
The bags should have been deployed. It was hit pretty hard.
The engine light is on and its running rough now.... The rad has been pushed in leaning against pipes too. Its an 2004. I was informed it was a third gen. Sorry.

So close to 8,000 in damage would this not be a write off? The car has 240,000 kilometers on it. Ive been trying to sell it and now who is gonna bite on this much damage to a car?
I have seen virtually identical damage repaired for less than 3K. Your car is probably running rough because the intake is damaged and you have a vacuum leak. If there are no fluid leaks the motor should be fine. From what I can see in the pictures you only need a new hood, and rad support pieces. If the fenders and bumper are good you could get it repaired without having it written off. Some body shops might tell you that the whole car is out of alignment because the rad support is bent but these are pretty solid cars and you can pull the top rad support members off and nothing happens. At 8k they will write it off here in Ontario maybe not in BC. They also might not want to repair a car with 240K. Check local ads to see what '04 GS's are selling for and you will have an idea if they will write it off. You might be better off to work out a deal with the guy that hit you and have the car fixed yourself.
Old 10-03-13 | 10:39 AM
rena
Driver

From what the diagnostics state its the catylic convertor throwing a code. The autobody shop called me as a mechanic checked it this morning. There is a possibility that something inside got knocked loose at the impact but its hard to prove. I never had any issues before so I would definately fight for that to be fixed too. So with this added expense, it would come to about 8500.

It was not a trailer that got hit. It was a car. My driver said it was weird as it seems he said they hit very very hard but he didnt feel to much of it, it seemed the cars front took on the whole accident.
remember my driver was going about 50 and the kid was about 20 were guessing when he veered in front of my lexus.
The autobody shop said for me to call and ask what I would get for my car if i was to go for a write off at this point. What is your opinions on the catylic convertor? I know they can just go but I have had no issues and it was running smooth before and now its BAD....
Old 10-03-13 | 11:12 AM
rena
Driver

Okay now there saying I have to in and talk to an icbc estimator on weather or not i can have the vehicle written off and what they are will to pay if they do and if i can have the catylic convertor covered or not. I dont understand why i have to go into an office for this.
Old 10-03-13 | 11:32 AM
LayedOut
Rookie

Idk why they are wanting you to come in. The ins company owes you for whatever damage was caused in the loss and they are very cheap so they will try and cut corners for repairs trying to pay for non factory replacement parts and used parts. Because you are not insured with them someone else is you don't have to follow the policy guidelines cause you do not have a written agreement with that ins company take time to review the estimate and ask questions about what is being repaired and what is being replaced. Also if you address the catalytic converter make sure you tell them it was foresure not throwing this code for the catalyst if you use words like I don't think so or I'm not sure they will just deny it. Also ins company's start considering a vehicle to be a total loss around 75% of the vehicle value the reason they dont go to 100% is because they also have to factor in how long they have to pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired

Hope this helps
Old 10-03-13 | 11:37 AM
LayedOut
Rookie

Oh darn almost forgot if they do total out the vehicle do not accept the first amount they try an give you they are trying to save as much money as they can go there prepared with the vehicle value and how much they are selling private party and dealership. Also receipts for recently purchased services, tires, shocks , struts any other money you have put into recently

Quick Reply: Accident crushed my front wrecked engine?