GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help needed - X-Pel

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 09:23 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed

I need to repaint my body kit and hood with Xpel. Do I need to go to specific bodyshop?
Old 01-18-03, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well you just need to find a good body shop that you know to repaint the car first. then you put on the xpel. putting on xpel shouldn't be that hard at all, a decent shop should be able to do it
Old 01-20-03, 01:39 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default dual process?

Is Xpel very popular or any good reputable bodyshop can carry out such job? Certainly don't want to look like a fool when I ask them to put Xpel on the bumper and hood.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 01-20-03 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 01:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

X-pel has an installation finder on their website.

http://www.xpel.com/forms/installform.html
Old 01-20-03, 02:09 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default Clearbra??

Thanks for the site. Is Xpel just like a clear bra as they described and you just stick them on your bumper like a sticker type of thing? Initially I thought its like a paint job with special coating on top of the paint. Am I wrong?
Old 01-20-03, 02:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yes, X-pel (and similar products) are just a clear adhesive product.... they protect the car similar to a bra, but are clear and mostly invisible to the eye from a distance. Up close they are obvious.
Old 01-20-03, 03:06 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default one more question

Thank you, DaveGS4, to clear thing out for me. I have couple more questions.

1. Do you recommend to put Xpel on the hood and headlights?
2. Can I wash and wax my car with Xpel on top of the hood and bumper?
Old 01-20-03, 03:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: one more question

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
Thank you, DaveGS4, to clear thing out for me. I have couple more questions.

1. Do you recommend to put Xpel on the hood and headlights?
2. Can I wash and wax my car with Xpel on top of the hood and bumper?
1) I don't have it on mine. I considered putting it on my hood as I just had it repainted. I decided not to because I don't like the way it looks up close on a black car. On other colors it may be less noticable, but on black I thought it looked too obvious from pictures I saw. I WOULD put it on headlights if I replace mine at some point.

2) Yes.

Do a search on 'xpel' and 'x-pel' in the GS and the Auto detailing forum for a number of other threads on this stuff. I'm not really an expert in it; just considered using it at one point recently.
Old 01-20-03, 04:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i always recommend xpel on headlight. hood and bumper that's personal preference
Old 01-20-03, 05:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had this done over the Xmas break. I had the front end repainted so I wanted to make sure I limit chips. It was done by one of the Xpel dealers listed on their website. It was done, hoever, when the car was in the shop since the bodyshop has a relationship with the Xpel dealer.

I am pretty picky about things so there are some issues I had with the installation. I was not there to see the install. I've already notified the dealer and am trying to get some time to bring it in so they can redo parts of the install. The dealer was very good about it. We'll see what happens when I bring it in. I had the whole thing done: lights, side mirror, hood, bumper including a custom piece for my TTE lip.

I have a mica bronze car and it is difficult to see the film from afar. Unless you really look or my car is dirty (dirt at the edges of the hood film), it is even hardly noticeable up close. Of course I know it is there and can clearly see it but some of my friends did not even know until I pointed it out to them. Of course they can see it easily now that they know. The paint's reflectiveness/shine will change since it is going through a layer of plastic. The lights will also look a little different shining on the road but I am told looks fine from other cars. The lights don't seem any more or less bright.

If you have a show car, I would definitely not put it on since it is visible. It has only been about 3 weeks but no paint probs (or even film probs) yet.

By the way, the film used on the lights are thick and offer really good protection. It is harder to see since the lights are clear. It is definitely easy to feel the edges. The paint pieces are thinner (I think 3x) so if you have seen the film on the lights, don't get scared and think that thick film is going to go on the paint.

Sorry for the relatively long post but I hope it helps. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Old 01-20-03, 06:47 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default very informtive

hey Neo, thank you for the details. I think once I have my bumper repaint, I will definitely do it just to protect my bodykit. Hopefully the X-pel can protect the fiber-glass type of material.
Old 01-22-03, 05:15 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Mark, I am looking at getting my front end done like yours. Maybe we could do our together and get a deal since our fronts are the same. I know it would have to be a custom job. I was just on the phone with some guy and he said there is a better product out called Armor Shield which covers more of the car, but he also said it cost more. My coworker has stonegard and he is happy with it although some of the edges are starting to peel. Let me know, I am serious about getting this done. I should be getting my headlights tomorrw, I am going to try to install those myself.

Mike

Last edited by mcgong; 01-22-03 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 05:44 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neo: After the repaint, did you immediately install the xpel or did you have to wait a few weeks?
Old 01-22-03, 06:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The install of the Xpel was done one day after the paint. I had the car in the shop for a week. They had originally said paint Tuesday, Xpel Friday. It ended up paint Thursday and Xpel Friday. The guy there said there should be no prob. Since the whole paint/install was done at the shop, they would be responsible if there are issues.

I've done all my "paint" mods/installs there so they are pretty good about redoing stuff if I am not completely happy.

As for the "Armor shield" product, the shop offered a product that is called "Auto armor". They were offered by the same people who installed the Xpel product. I am not sure if they are all the same thing. Even the Xpel website spells out that the paint protection uses a 3M product. The light protection is not specific whether it is an XPel proprietary product or just thicker 3M film.

Make sure they are just not charging you more for a brand name using the same 3M film.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-03, 08:28 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I am planning on just doing an Xpel installation on my bumper. Does anyone know of a good shop in Orange County that i can take my car too. I am going to need some custom work done.