GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hello, New Guy Here..Daily Driver Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 12:33 AM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New Guy Here..Daily Driver Info

Hello everyone.
I have been browsing this board for a month or two now and have finally decided to register and make a post. My name is Gino, and I'm from Brookfield (Milwaukee) Wisconsin. I don't currently have a GS400, or any Lex for that matter, but hopefully that will be changing very soon! I have a 10 second Buick Grand National showcar that is my main toy, as well as a Yamaha 600cc sport bike. My daily driver is a Acura Legend Coupe. I have had all sorts of crazy toys in the past, and since my acura is going to need to be replaced soon (210k miles and still going) I am in the market for a newer car. My last daily driver before the acura legend was a 40k mile 92 GMC Typhoon that ran high 12s. I must say, I need to get back into a quick daily driver! The acura just isn't cutting it, although it is one awesome reliable car! That is what brings me here. I like going fast with class and that's exactly what I see a GS400 to be. I was also considering the purchase of a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, simply because theyre fairly snappy and inexpensive, but they just don't do anything for me style wise. Not to mention they depreciate faster than most all other cars on the market because they break all the time. The only thing holding me back on a 98-00 GS400 is my current pricerange. I have 10-15k cash to spend on a new (to me) car, and that's probably not going to be enough to get me a sub-100k mile GS400. I have been watching ebay and doing my homework on the high mileage GS400s and it seems they may provide me with both the pricerange and style I am looking for. I have seen 120-130k mile GS400s sell in the 13-15000 range, which is exactly what I am looking to spend. I would like to hear some feedback from those of you who currently own higher mileage (90k and up) GS400s and let me know if I am completely nuts, or if this is something worthwhile. I know the GS cars hold their value well and this is another main reason I am looking to purchse one. I figure if I buy a $13-15k GS400, I can put 20-30k miles on it and only lose a couple grand...any insight people here would have for me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Gino
<GS400 wannabe>
Old 01-20-03, 12:52 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$17k+ is a little more realistic on what you can expect to pay for a 130k mile '98 GS4 w/ a clean title in decent condition. You can't really monitor Ebay for market info unless you are strictly looking at Buy It Now auctions. Many times an agreement on price is made via E-mail, the seller ends the auction early and the price you see is not the accurate sale-price, or is merely the reserve that the seller asked the buyer to bid up to so that they can exchange feedback.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 01-20-03 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

although it's very safe to say that the gs400 (with the aluminum v8) is a very strong, durable, and reliable car, imho over 100k is a bit too many miles for a car to get. and even that 15k it's kinda hard to find a gs4 with that many miles too.

if i were you and i like the gs4 that much, i would try to save up a bit more and get one with lower mileage