GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Resonator Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 09:16 AM
LandonGs03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonator Delete?

I'm a noob with exhaust but want to be a little more loud. I've looked up the cat back and axle back replacement and I don't really want to spend the money right now just for a little deeper sound. I'm on the verge of cutting out the resonators but I wanted to consult you guys first for any input you all might have. I'm lucky enough to have never had a check engine light come on and I really don't want to set off any codes by doing this. So should I do this? Thanks
Old 10-29-13, 10:33 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

No codes will be set by this mod. Worst case scenario you may loose some fuel economy and/or performance. I personally doubt it will be noticeable if it does happen and have not read of this happening to anyone that has done it.
Old 10-29-13, 11:45 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the rear 2 mufflers (near the bumper) will result in a deeper rumble when you step on it, but also cause an annoying drone around 1500-1900 RPM under acceleration typical for highway/main roads. If you can live with that, go for it.

On the other hand, removing the 2 or all 3 resonators (there are 2 cylinder shaped side by side, and 1 just in front of them that looks more like a muffler) will give you more noise and more character if you keep the rear 2 mufflers only. Not sure on drone, as I don't have this setup, just the first one above.

However, I believe while the first options might give you a 1-2 HP, and sounds decent, the drone sucks for long drives where you are not at a constant speed (highway or cruising is OK, it's not loud). However I believe that real character of a V8 sound is lacking (the chatter/blurb/rattattatatatatat you hear in other V8s) so I think removing the resonators, and keeping the mufflers (or an after market muffler set) will give you a more aggressive sound profile with some rasp etc.

There are a few videos on youtube of gs400s that show step by step how the car sounds stock, then resonator delete, and muffler delete, then aftermarket mufflers (although it's impossible to tell from a video how yours will sound, it's a good reference of what I'm talking about).
Old 10-29-13, 02:57 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markisking
How are you doing this mod? Are you putting in a whole new pipe?
Most likely when removing ("deleting") a resonator, or muffler in my car's case, the missing section is replaced with a simple piece of piping of matching diameter. This is the way the mufflers were removed from my car by the previous owner, while keeping the factory exhaust tips in place so no one would know it is missing mufflers if they just looked at it from a distance.
Old 10-29-13, 10:28 PM
LandonGs03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sampak
Most likely when removing ("deleting") a resonator, or muffler in my car's case, the missing section is replaced with a simple piece of piping of matching diameter. This is the way the mufflers were removed from my car by the previous owner, while keeping the factory exhaust tips in place so no one would know it is missing mufflers if they just looked at it from a distance.
Exactly what you do. Thanks guys this was very helpful
Old 10-30-13, 02:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Youtube has some great videos with resonators and deleted resonators....
Old 10-30-13, 06:21 PM
Jblkstr
Driver School Candidate

if u want a deeper sound check out borla mufflers i deleted my resonators and put borla mufflers on mine it gives me a nice deep sound but of course keep in mind i have a 2jz-gte swap so it might not have the same exact sound but there are some vids on youtube of borla mufflers they have kits for sale that are bolt on and come with tips that look like the stock ones
Old 10-30-13, 06:50 PM
yada
Pit Crew

Can deleting the resonators cause you to fail smog in ca or tx inspection.
Old 10-31-13, 06:45 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by yada
can deleting the resonators cause you to fail smog in ca or tx inspection.
yes this is my question too. Will it cause any lights to come on and is it harmful to the vehicle in anyway to remove the resonators?
Originally Posted by debonair
no codes will be set by this mod. Worst case scenario you may loose some fuel economy and/or performance. I personally doubt it will be noticeable if it does happen and have not read of this happening to anyone that has done it.
Old 10-31-13, 07:48 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Can deleting the resonators cause you to fail smog in ca or tx inspection.
Yes this is my question too. Will it cause any lights to come on and is it harmful to the vehicle in anyway to remove the resonators?
Originally Posted by Debonair
no codes will be set by this mod. Worst case scenario you may loose some fuel economy and/or performance. I personally doubt it will be noticeable if it does happen and have not read of this happening to anyone that has done it.
LOL. To repeat, no.

Resonators or any part of the exhaust after the catalytic convertor (actually, after the O2 sensors) on most everyday cars never causes any kind of Check Engine Light (CEL/MIL) or error codes because the engine has no way of "knowing" anything has changed, especially if it is a resonator or muffler way at the end. The only way to fail is to have a visual inspection of your exhaust where it's very obviously missing a large chunk of it and is obnoxiously loud like a fart- I mean Harley bike, in which case it may or may not still depending on the tech doing the inspection and what happened between him and his wife the night before.

What CAN commonly cause a check engine light is swapping the intake for a cold/warm/short-ram intake on *some* cars like the GS (no issues on say, my '06 Sentra, or '08-'12 Altima Coupe) and fiddling with the catalytic convertor(s) that are up the line from a waiting O2 sensor.
Old 10-31-13, 09:11 AM
LandonGs03
Driver School Candidate

LOL. To repeat, no.

Resonators or any part of the exhaust after the catalytic convertor (actually, after the O2 sensors) on most everyday cars never causes any kind of Check Engine Light (CEL/MIL) or error codes because the engine has no way of "knowing" anything has changed, especially if it is a resonator or muffler way at the end. The only way to fail is to have a visual inspection of your exhaust where it's very obviously missing a large chunk of it and is obnoxiously loud like a fart- I mean Harley bike, in which case it may or may not still depending on the tech doing the inspection and what happened between him and his wife the night before.

What CAN commonly cause a check engine light is swapping the intake for a cold/warm/short-ram intake on *some* cars like the GS (no issues on say, my '06 Sentra, or '08-'12 Altima Coupe) and fiddling with the catalytic convertor(s) that are up the line from a waiting O2 sensor.
I have an old injen cold air intake and my check engine light never came on. I'm going to delete the resonators this week coming up hopefully and will try to post a video. Thanks guys
Old 10-31-13, 04:32 PM
yada
Pit Crew

LOL. To repeat, no.

ya something along the lines of a visual inspection is what i am more worried about. if im not mistaken straight pipe for instance can net you a fix it ticket in ca and now ive moved to tx and i dont know if straight pipe is legal or illegal and removed resonators i have never been sure if you can get fix it tickets for or not.
Old 11-01-13, 08:00 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

ya something along the lines of a visual inspection is what i am more worried about. if im not mistaken straight pipe for instance can net you a fix it ticket in ca and now ive moved to tx and i dont know if straight pipe is legal or illegal and removed resonators i have never been sure if you can get fix it tickets for or not.
I think we can all agree first off that CA is a... special state. Texas however is more or less concerned with safety inspections only and emissions check is done if you live in the Dallas and Houston and maybe a few other metroplex areas.

Resonator / muffler deletes don't seem to matter to anyone as far as I have seen (and god are there enough bad apples here) especially given how trucks run around with modded exhaust, nevermind all the vtaaaak tunerz and Muscleheads . Most legit shops will not however touch your exhaust if it has no cats or involves removal of cats during the process (unless you're replacing one back in of course). Personally I've had my Sentra, and Altima coupe modded with catback exhausts, and even had a header replaced on the Sentra (LOL laugh away) but as long as I had cats purring under the frame I was never given 1 bit of trouble. It's the CEL you just need to make sure of so you don't get hassled for it and turn a small issue into a big one.

Straight pipe I'm not sure of. As long as your car is not too bad on noise you could get away if you still keep your cats. There are plenty of those examples here in DFW as well. Though I have no idea if they really passed inspection or if they do the swapperoo before testing.

Remember most brand name exhausts often get rid of or add different resonators and mufflers left and right to get your car to sound a certain way, while most likely under the required 'legal' noise (decibel) limit so they can easily be sold as street legal. Of course, take that with a grain of salt (plenty of somewhat borderline loud exhausts and "off-road pipes" that are not exactly street legal).

Last edited by Sampak; 11-01-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 07:44 PM
yada
Pit Crew

thanks sam what part of dfw you live, i actually live in dallas at 30 and buckner across from racetrack. i think ill look into getting rid of the resonator once i get this damn vsc, abs, vsc off light gone. i changed stock muff to borla and changed a cat and now this happens *facepalm*
Old 11-01-13, 08:54 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

I deleted my resonators and added some magnaflow mufflers....sounds like a 350z now...i can put up a video on here of the sound. i personally love it... a little rasp, but thats what happens when you take baffles out of an exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete?