GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car is too fast but not fast enough? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 05:14 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lets not talk about racing, fast and gs400 together anymore, lol.
Old 11-11-13, 06:59 AM
driver1988
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your question and paragraph is as confusing and contradicting as your thread's title
Old 11-11-13, 08:01 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
lets not talk about racing, fast and gs400 together anymore, lol.
LOL I'm sure a guy with an LFA would tell you the same thing about your bloated 3780lbs IS-"F" with it's 8-speed lolomatic.

Like it's been said, it's all relative. Coming from a 2006 Sentra 1.8 SE my V6 Altima was a beast. Then my friend turbo'd his coupe and mine was set in place, and after driving it around some I realized it was above average but not exactly 'fast.' And what is "fast?" There's quick, then there's fast. I don't think 99.9999% of cars sold today will ever go 'fast' up to their rated top speeds 99.999% of the time they're on the road due to congestion, traffic, and safety issues. Yet a handful every now and then on a daily basis will test out their engine's max RPM limit when tooling around on the highway for a few brief seconds.

Most of the time I think it's just the feel of the acceleration that gets people excited, as that's all that matters to me. The GEEeeee forces. Anytime I floor my GS4 for the brief 5-6 seconds it takes to reach 60-70 I let off and enjoy the adrenaline rush, thinking, wow, what a fantastic car, with 4 doors, luxury for its day and in decent shape. Then I sit in my brother's '98 6spd T/Am and when he floors it in 2nd-4th within what feels like instantaneous time, I can't stop laughing from sheer excitement, and quickly realize my GS4 can't hold a candle to it, but still feel it's great for what it is.

Last edited by Sampak; 11-11-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 10:44 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sampak
LOL I'm sure a guy with an LFA would tell you the same thing about your bloated 3780lbs IS-"F" with it's 8-speed lolomatic.

Like it's been said, it's all relative. Coming from a 2006 Sentra 1.8 SE my V6 Altima was a beast. Then my friend turbo'd his coupe and mine was set in place, and after driving it around some I realized it was above average but not exactly 'fast.' And what is "fast?" There's quick, then there's fast. I don't think 99.9999% of cars sold today will ever go 'fast' up to their rated top speeds 99.999% of the time they're on the road due to congestion, traffic, and safety issues. Yet a handful every now and then on a daily basis will test out their engine's max RPM limit when tooling around on the highway for a few brief seconds.

Most of the time I think it's just the feel of the acceleration that gets people excited, as that's all that matters to me. The GEEeeee forces. Anytime I floor my GS4 for the brief 5-6 seconds it takes to reach 60-70 I let off and enjoy the adrenaline rush, thinking, wow, what a fantastic car, with 4 doors, luxury for its day and in decent shape. Then I sit in my brother's '98 6spd T/Am and when he floors it in 2nd-4th within what feels like instantaneous time, I can't stop laughing from sheer excitement, and quickly realize my GS4 can't hold a candle to it, but still feel it's great for what it is.
if i had an lfa, yes i would call the isf slow too.

i dont want to hear about any car being quick unless its running 12 secs in the quarter mile.
Old 11-11-13, 12:23 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
if i had an lfa, yes i would call the isf slow too.

i dont want to hear about any car being quick unless its running 12 secs in the quarter mile.
Just 12? That's butt slow man. 10 seconds or go home.

But like I said, it's all relative. To me the GS4 is quick-ish but paling slowly, to someone else like my wife, she needs a barf bag if I step on it too hard and she isn't expecting it. To my brother with that Trans Am, 'yeah it sounds nice.' You get the idea.

Of course, driving my 3F powered 91 Land Cruiser for a trip puts evvvverything into perspective and lets me appreciate what I have. (It's zero to 60 time is measured in 10 second intervals. 20 seconds is being liberal and that's a lie).

Last edited by Sampak; 11-11-13 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 12:29 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Just 12? That's butt slow man. 10 seconds or go home.

But like I said, it's all relative. To me the GS4 is quick-ish, to someone else like my wife, she needs a barf bag if I step on it too hard and she isn't expecting it. To my brother with that Trans Am, 'yeah it sounds nice.'
yeah i know what you mean. i think that "feel" is more important sometimes. Coming from a 350z/g35, that car's powerband was VERY linear. never threw your head back, never gave you that rush or adrenaline feeling but ran a 13.7. driving my friends bolt on VW gti hatchback 2.0T, "feels" quick as hell because a bit of lag then rush of turbo kicking in. he ran a 15.xx.

bolt on trans am ws6 is def quick. compared to whats on topic, its fast, lol.
Old 11-11-13, 12:55 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by driver1988
your question and paragraph is as confusing and contradicting as your thread's title
I will translate.
Just substitute car as an extension of the OP's manhood, and street race as a ***** measuring contest.
Every car is a reflection of the the ***** length of the driver. But you don't know the actual length of the other driver until you do a measurement, i.e., race.

He is saying that that the only people who want to measure penises with him are drivers who have small penises; and in his Lexus since he is expected to have the longer *****, so if he gets in a ***** measuring contest, he has nothing to gain; just something to lose.

But at the same time the "big boys" whom he thinks are showing off with longer penises, won't accept his invitation measure their penises with him, and he is sad that even if one accepts his challenge and gets into such a measurement contest , he may turn out to have the shorter ***** and will be sad.

(OP: hope you have a sense of humor and laugh this one off, don't get angry or mad)

That's why I said go autocross, where there's a book that tells you exactly what class your car is in; so you are competing on the same "level" and you have a stopwatch time telling you who is faster.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-11-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 01:45 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raytseng
I will translate.
Just substitute car as an extension of the OP's manhood, and street race as a ***** measuring contest.
Every car is a reflection of the the ***** length of the driver. But you don't know the actual length of the other driver until you do a measurement, i.e., race.

He is saying that that the only people who want to measure penises with him are drivers who have small penises; and in his Lexus since he is expected to have the longer *****, so if he gets in a ***** measuring contest, he has nothing to gain; just something to lose.

But at the same time the "big boys" whom he thinks are showing off with longer penises, won't accept his invitation measure their penises with him, and he is sad that even if one accepts his challenge and gets into such a measurement contest , he may turn out to have the shorter ***** and will be sad.
I like this guy.
Old 11-11-13, 01:45 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly, the 1UZ & 3UZ is slowly falling behind when it comes to today's V8's. If a V8 has less than 345hp it's considered a slow V8. My how times have changed.....
Old 11-11-13, 01:58 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by repugnante
Sadly, the 1UZ & 3UZ is slowly falling behind when it comes to today's V8's. If a V8 has less than 345hp it's considered a slow V8. My how times have changed.....
Truth. Direct injection + High Compression + Forced Induction is the new wave. The UZ's have none of this.
Old 11-11-13, 02:06 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mannn. All i know is that i love lexus. In my 4 years of driving i have had 4 cars. 2000 gs300, 2nd year i got a 1998 gs400, 3rd year i had a 2007 chrysler 300 and this year i got a 2001 gs430.
I have freinds that own fast cars. Camero ss. Srt8 300 and srt8 jeep. Some have cam/ ported-polished heads / nos and i feel with a somewhat built motor like them i would have no problem keeping up and actually overtaking. So who ever thinks our v8s are slow, i dont agree, as for being quick or fast, who cares in english its the same thing. Honeslty someone would get slapped if they stoped me in my sentence to go on and on about how quick and fast are different. But in reality that wouldnt happen because only on forums, do people point out such stupid things to prove a point, and address that they know more then us. Iv met very few know-it-alls.. That point out stupid stuff. And they are on forums all day cause they have no friends cause of their stink attitude. Anyways! I think my car is fast! Are gs400/430s are well known and growing-spreading through forums. And i have info to back it up.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/street-rac...s430-fast.html

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6612

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-are-fast.html

http://m.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=71057&styleid=5

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=50622

Maybe some of you can track down the people on here and pm them. And give em a peoce of your mind on how quick, rather then fast our cars are just leave me out of it.
Old 11-11-13, 02:30 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

You can't say "[Our] gs400/430 are well known and growing..." and then quote 5 threads from 10 years ago.

If you can't pull on a SRT8 Grand Cherokee - your car is slow.

Anyone who has been in the car hobby for an appreciable amount of time knows the difference between fast and quick.

I'm starting to think you're just trolling...
Old 11-11-13, 02:39 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by repugnante
See i cannot agree with this... I see ls1s.. The old ford 5.0 motors still being used today. And making great power. There are only very few cars that come with forged internals so pretty much every car has to be built to make high hp numbers.. I know the c63 amg has a 6.3 thats detuned, cause the same engine was in, i think the cl63 amg that made 515. Im sure a better tuned 1uz could easily make more then that 345hp
Old 11-11-13, 02:41 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

LOOOL I guess looking back, 11 years ago there were very few cars with any kind of power like the GS4, unless you paid good money, so BACK THEN it was pretty decent compared to even those stupid Boxters and whatnot, but today, it's right around 'average' 0-60 performance in terms of sedans and coupes in the $20-30k price range that are more likely what you'll run across today.

We all want our car to be fast, but truth is today the GS4 is respectably fast enough but just not what it used to be, relative to its CURRENT counterparts.

Originally Posted by gsean400
See i cannot agree with this... I see ls1s.. The old ford 5.0 motors still being used today. And making great power. There are only very few cars that come with forged internals so pretty much every car has to be built to make high hp numbers.. I know the c63 amg has a 6.3 thats detuned, cause the same engine was in, i think the cl63 amg that made 515. Im sure a better tuned 1uz could easily make more then that 345hp
You're comparing a '90s era high tech smaller displacement V8 with VVTI and DOHC with typical 40 year old gus guzzling pushrod V8 designs like the 5.7L in my brother's T/A that was sold in a very detuned, mild version of its capable self, that in fact is often cited as being underrated from GM so as not to undercut Corvette sales that used the same LS1 engine rated a few ponies higher. A few bolt on exhaust/cams/intakes and those 5.7 liters really woke up to their higher potential. The 1UZ is 4.0L and already at 300 HP (which BTW per Toyota's pre 2006 engine power rating methods was actually OVERrated @300) was well ahead of its time in horsepower for its size. Trying to get more out of it will take some good money whether N/A or boosted, so yes, you can wake it up, but then any car with a few $$$$ thrown on it today will end up being faster than the modded 1UZ, again.

On the other hand, I was just discussing with my brother over the weekend something that perplexed me a bit. How does a 3700lbs car that dynos 230-240 RWHP do 0-60 in < 6 sec and 1/4 miles in 14.xx, and yet my Altima with 240 FWHP and only 3300 lbs still get the same performance figures? Weird. It can't be gearing on the GS4's part to compensate for weight, because it pulls in just over 65 MPH at the top of 2nd gear, much like my previous Altima.

Last edited by Sampak; 11-11-13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 03:55 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

LOOOL I guess looking back, 11 years ago there were very few cars with any kind of power like the GS4, unless you paid good money, so BACK THEN it was pretty decent compared to even those stupid Boxters and whatnot, but today, it's right around 'average' 0-60 performance in terms of sedans and coupes in the $20-30k price range that are more likely what you'll run across today.

We all want our car to be fast, but truth is today the GS4 is respectably fast enough but just not what it used to be, relative to its CURRENT counterparts.

You're comparing a '90s era high tech smaller displacement V8 with VVTI and DOHC with typical 40 year old gus guzzling pushrod V8 designs like the 5.7L in my brother's T/A that was sold in a very detuned, mild version of its capable self, that in fact is often cited as being underrated from GM so as not to undercut Corvette sales that used the same LS1 engine rated a few ponies higher. A few bolt on exhaust/cams/intakes and those 5.7 liters really woke up to their higher potential. The 1UZ is 4.0L and already at 300 HP (which BTW per Toyota's pre 2006 engine power rating methods was actually OVERrated @300) was well ahead of its time in horsepower for its size. Trying to get more out of it will take some good money whether N/A or boosted, so yes, you can wake it up, but then any car with a few $$$$ thrown on it today will end up being faster than the modded 1UZ, again.

On the other hand, I was just discussing with my brother over the weekend something that perplexed me a bit. How does a 3700lbs car that dynos 230-240 RWHP do 0-60 in < 6 sec and 1/4 miles in 14.xx, and yet my Altima with 240 FWHP and only 3300 lbs still get the same performance figures? Weird. It can't be gearing on the GS4's part to compensate for weight, because it pulls in just over 65 MPH at the top of 2nd gear, much like my previous Altima.
Maybe im just looking at it wrong but i dont see why the 1uz and 3uz cant make the same power as the 2jz. I havent seem any 2jzs with big cams and they always have a big turbo and make more power then a sc/head/cam american 6.0 v8. I feel if i have fully built forged 1-3uz motor i should make the same hp or more then those 2jzs

Quick Reply: Car is too fast but not fast enough? Anyone?