GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First GS in the snow experience....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 04:27 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I'm on eagle gts and the car didn't do to bad. With the vsc off the car is a lot of fun, but with it on it does a great job of keeping the car in a straight line. It really comes down to tires. While i feel confident with the tires on it, I am installing winter tires friday as I'm in ski country a lot, but even with snow tires this car sucks on hills, most rwd cars in general do.
Gray, you came from an ES like me. What are your impressions of snow performance with the GS compared to the ES? I actually like the RWD better. While the FWD likely gives better snow performance, the feel of the RWD in the snow seems easier to control to me. When the back end gets loose on the GS, I just let off the throttle and it seems to snap back into place with no issues.
Old 12-10-13, 04:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^Its easier to get going in the es. If you're a careful driver, its hard to mess up in a fwd car, that being said once you start slipping, there's no going back. The gs is different in that it may be harder to get going, but you are in more control, if your a good driver you can control where the car goes. The es was great in the snow, didn't slip or anything. The gs is hard to get going sometimes, but once i'm moving its fine, just need to keep the rear end in check. For a new or bad driver, i don't suggest rwd, but for someone who knows what they are doing rwd isn't as bad as people say.
Old 12-10-13, 04:40 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the world of rear wheel drive egs! I think people really miss out when they don't experience a powerful RWD vehicle in snow. Downside is that these vehicles can get sideways with that wide performance rubber pretty quick.

I find the snow mode works good and I've tried taking the traction control off and it works in some situations but then again it gets pretty hairy otherwise.

Where I am in Alberta, we've had two big hits of winter already and I figure we're at 15-20 inches of snowfall and counting. Icy, snow-covered conditions that are challenging this car's ground clearance.

My 02 has actually done better than I thought it would but tough sledding with so much power and only RWD to propel it. It actually couldn't make it out of its parking spot with the first big hit of snow, even with winter tires, so I left it and went to my company vehicle (08 Escape awd).

If only they had an AWD version of this second gen. That would have been a killer, but would have also added weight and dropped the gas mileage by quite a bit, not to mention the additional complexity up front.

Last edited by MattyG; 12-10-13 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-10-13, 04:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by driver1988
winter tires with snow mode works very well here in MN snow. With added weight i was even able to launch without snow mode leaving most cars at the redlight 2-3 cars behind.
driver1988 it sounds like you're driving in similar conditions to me. How much weight are you adding to your GS? I've got about 80 lbs in the trunk now, but haven't noticed a whole lot of difference.
Old 12-10-13, 06:41 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Matty,

Thanks! I agree that the snow mode is efffective. Naturally any car is going to have issues with ground clearance in really deep snow. But in the midwest where I live we might have 3-4 big snowfalls at most and the plows do a pretty good job of getting it moved. For whatever reason I like the power of the RWD (I have a GS3) in the snow. Once it gets going, which snow mode helps out, it is rock solid in the winter. No need for AWD in my opinion.
Old 12-10-13, 10:32 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

I've never used the snow mode. I don't see it being necessary. The car goes off from lights fine even with the traction control off.

I btw hate the VSC. Everytime the car gets in to a slide it basically kills the speed and starts beeping which is even more annoying. I think it's the stability control that does that but either way they're both under the same button.
That's why I drive alot of the time with traction control off.
Old 12-11-13, 03:09 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Living in Minnesota, we get lots of snow, gotta say after only driving a fwd Acura that could plow through a foot of snow it definitely took some getting used to the RWD, and it can get downright scary at least when I had all seasons on, but learning throttle control is huge and snow tires, I just put on blizzaks, make a night and day difference as well
Old 12-11-13, 06:22 AM
driver1988
Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
driver1988 it sounds like you're driving in similar conditions to me. How much weight are you adding to your GS? I've got about 80 lbs in the trunk now, but haven't noticed a whole lot of difference.
When i'm driving by myself even in snow mode, the tire spins alot and is tail happy from redlight if you're not careful... but if there's a passenger with me in the car, the car seems to handle fine. I got 150ibs in the trunk. I don't know if 80ibs would make a difference. I think an average passenger would be around the 150-200ibs range.
Old 12-11-13, 02:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Ok that makes sense. I'll probably up the weight and see what that does. Wasn't too bad today because it's warmed up where I am and that turns the snow into a softer texture that the tires can bite into.

I gotta agree though, these cars are a ball to drive as long as you catch the tail-slides quickly and correct for them.
Old 12-11-13, 04:06 PM
929rider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love my 300 and 430 in the snow. snow mode is great and stability control is out of this world.
well that's coming from a civic. lol
Old 12-11-13, 04:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I don't know if I would ever be able to go back to a fwd car again after this. It would be soooo boring. Just imagine a big wet coat of dullness on your driving experience.

Other than getting started of the line, these cars allow you to really control where the nose goes. If you lose traction on a fwd, you're basically along for the ride at that point.

I came from a beautiful 1996 Camry before this. Studded snow tires, tremendous in the snow. But certainly not the same as this.
Old 12-11-13, 04:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I feel the same way on never going back to fwd, rwd is just more fun
Old 12-11-13, 07:04 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Same here. This is my first RWD car in about 15 years and you really notice a difference in the handling of the car. I think I will be a RWD guy going forward....although AWD is tempting as well since the new GS has that as an option.
Old 12-11-13, 07:12 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't bother with snow mode. Limited slip and snow tires would help more than anything. Open diff is junk

Also 4 wheel steer isn't awd...
Old 12-11-13, 07:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It's funny we're talking about this too. One of the first cars, a go-to choice, that I cross-shopped before this was the Infiniti G35. And the one I wanted was in fact the AWD version.

But after I test drove a 2003 model at a reputable dealership, I was actually taken aback. It felt cheap inside. Almost late 90's Nissan-like.

I wasn't too pleased with that exhaust note either. For less than that I got a V8, amazing interior quality - and not just any V8 but a Toyota/Lexus V8. You simply can't argue with that kind of power train. It's whisper quiet and we all know its character don't we

Sure that AWD G would have given me a slight advantage but in overall driving, you're not gonna enjoy that interior and that raspy exhaust note. Not after you get spoiled with that smoooothhh Lexus motor.

Heck the 1998 GS300 I also test drove a couple of years before all this was even quieter than the G. Surprising actually because I do respect the 35/37.

Quick Reply: First GS in the snow experience....