GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First GS in the snow experience....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 04:30 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matty, I'm not surprised by your experience with Infiniti. Infiniti and Acura seemed to cheap out on high quality materials compared to Lexus. Infiniti vehicles in particular depreciated much quicker than Lexus which lowers their value on the used market. That is pretty telling sign to me of the quality.
Old 12-12-13, 01:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just had my x-ice snow tires put on, and got a fresh alignment, going to gt hit pretty hard here tonight in Buffalo so Ill se ehow much easier it is to get going off the line. Just a sidenote, but i don't put any weight in the back, i feel like the GS is heavy enough as is. Also, agree with you on the infiniti and acura deal. I sold my old es300 to get a 4runner, couldn't find one and got a 2006 acura tl, gave it back after a wekk because i just couldn't get over how accord like it was. Ended up with an es330 for another car
Old 12-12-13, 04:00 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also in Alberta. Yeah, the GS with good snows is certainly tolerable in the snow. Just think of our grand-pappies driving 57 Chevys with skinny, rock-hard snow tires, somehow they made it most days. I had a Sunbird with studs on the front, all-seasons on the back and - most important of all - an actual console mounted hand-brake! Winter with that car was really "rally-season."
Old 12-12-13, 08:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 4Runner would be a great winter choice. I didn't like it's low seating position, but yeah it would eat a blizzard for lunch as long as your sensible about it. Great handling for a proper truck-frame SUV too.

I couldn't afford the 4Runner and the GS, so I figured - fun over practicality.

btw guys Toyo Garit Observe tires are ok but man are they noisy. I don't recommend them. The previous owner was a cheapo, so he didn't go top of the line - but they came with the car.

Blizzaks, X-ice and a couple of the other brands would be way better.
Old 12-13-13, 04:39 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
The 4Runner would be a great winter choice. I didn't like it's low seating position, but yeah it would eat a blizzard for lunch as long as your sensible about it. Great handling for a proper truck-frame SUV too.

I couldn't afford the 4Runner and the GS, so I figured - fun over practicality.

btw guys Toyo Garit Observe tires are ok but man are they noisy. I don't recommend them. The previous owner was a cheapo, so he didn't go top of the line - but they came with the car.

Blizzaks, X-ice and a couple of the other brands would be way better.
Funny you bring up the 4runner. I've actually been looking for a 1997-2002 4runner to drive as a winter car. Hard to find a decent one that doesn't have a ton of miles. Frankly given how the GS has performed this winter, I may not even need to worry about it. Would actually love to get a Tacoma, but I'm blown away by how expensive the used ones are. Crazy!

Last edited by egs21; 12-13-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 06:01 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Seems like many have put additional weight to the trunk to gain more traction.
I did the opposite and got rid of the spare tire to get the rear end more lighter.

I've had no problems with my Kumho KW27's even though they are designed to be used in central Europe (Germany etc.), not in the Nordic countries. Well, no problems yet atleast..
Old 12-13-13, 09:27 AM
egs21
Pole Position

I haven't put any additional weight in my GS3. I think the is already fairly heavy and using the snow mode helps it get started on slick surfaces. After that it is more than stable at regular speeds and if the tail slides out, VSC kicks in to correct it quickly. I'm really impressed at how it has performed in the snow for being a RWD.
Old 12-13-13, 12:03 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It's funny we're talking about this too. One of the first cars, a go-to choice, that I cross-shopped before this was the Infiniti G35. And the one I wanted was in fact the AWD version.

But after I test drove a 2003 model at a reputable dealership, I was actually taken aback. It felt cheap inside. Almost late 90's Nissan-like.

I wasn't too pleased with that exhaust note either. For less than that I got a V8, amazing interior quality - and not just any V8 but a Toyota/Lexus V8. You simply can't argue with that kind of power train. It's whisper quiet and we all know its character don't we

Sure that AWD G would have given me a slight advantage but in overall driving, you're not gonna enjoy that interior and that raspy exhaust note. Not after you get spoiled with that smoooothhh Lexus motor.

Heck the 1998 GS300 I also test drove a couple of years before all this was even quieter than the G. Surprising actually because I do respect the 35/37.
And to think I was thinking of selling my 400 for a 35 coupe, my buddy sold his 400 and just got a g35 and is in love, yea they look good, but the interior is ***, all plastic with rattles, u just can't beat lexus, I'm running Goodyear eagle gt one high performance all weather for my second year in a row, no problems, although it is very easy to get stuck on my little dip right out of the driveway in my alley, so when I get stuck I just back up the alley, put it in drive and run it up the hill and I'm free, lmao, all while not trying to slip and go a foot to my left and go over a 20 foot cliff into the neighbors living room while their eating popcorn and watching a movie on family night... Fun

Last edited by DosyBoy; 12-13-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 07:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by egs21
Funny you bring up the 4runner. I've actually been looking for a 1997-2002 4runner to drive as a winter car. Hard to find a decent one that doesn't have a ton of miles. Frankly given how the GS has performed this winter, I may not even need to worry about it. Would actually love to get a Tacoma, but I'm blown away by how expensive the used ones are. Crazy!
Yeah they are very refined for what they can do no doubt about it. I test drove a 2003 V8 Limited and other than a slightly harsher ride you almost thought you were driving a car.

The dealership wouldn't budget too much on price and it was a high miler with some minor body scuffs and bumper damage. It also had the well known 4Runner manifold leak and that was big bucks. They didn't want to fix that either. So I walked away.

But if you ever have a chance to get one for a winter driver, you won't be sorry. I've driven the older late 90's model too and they're smooth and quiet, but the seating position is cramped and too low to the floor for me.
Old 12-13-13, 07:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
And to think I was thinking of selling my 400 for a 35 coupe, my buddy sold his 400 and just got a g35 and is in love, yea they look good, but the interior is ***, all plastic with rattles, u just can't beat lexus, I'm running Goodyear eagle gt one high performance all weather for my second year in a row, no problems, although it is very easy to get stuck on my little dip right out of the driveway in my alley, so when I get stuck I just back up the alley, put it in drive and run it up the hill and I'm free, lmao, all while not trying to slip and go a foot to my left and go over a 20 foot cliff into the neighbors living room while their eating popcorn and watching a movie on family night... Fun
And actually looking at the G35 coupe, you're almost better off just going for a 350Z/370Z because they look way better. And you're not losing much in quality there. If I had my way and about $30K, it would be: 370Z for a sporty tightly connected road runner, my GS for everyday two or three seasons, and one of the 03-09 4Runners for the depths of winter's icy grip.

But that's all pie-in-the-sky. Now that the big blizzard is over my GS is running around like nobody's business. At some point I gotta get rid of those noisy Toyos. Not used hearing that road rumble in a Lexus.
Old 12-14-13, 04:45 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by egs21
Matty, I'm not surprised by your experience with Infiniti. Infiniti and Acura seemed to cheap out on high quality materials compared to Lexus. Infiniti vehicles in particular depreciated much quicker than Lexus which lowers their value on the used market. That is pretty telling sign to me of the quality.
I have to agree, I had a 95 acura legend gs before my gs and it was truly a great car and incredibly reliable but you can tell the leather in acuras is not of the same quality as lexus, I see acuras with torn seats often but rarely on lexus, acuras and infinitis of the 90s tend to rust easily as well but the gs paint is really great quality I have almost never seen a lexus rusting badly unless it's been damaged , the wood in our cars also seems better than the acuras I've driven
Old 12-14-13, 09:33 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Driving around in a good amount of snow covered roads with the xice snows and there's a big difference, still some slipping off the line but it's better. I went with 215/60/16 instead of 225/55/16 like I originally had, I figured a slightly narrower tire would be better. Braking is what has changed the most drastically