GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My new GS430 (with some questions)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 11:37 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new GS430 (with some questions)

I recently picked up a 2001 gs430, black on black

But because I was so picky with the color of the car, I ended up with one that needs some repairs. The engine light is on and there is a code for knock sensors and two of the cats. I realize these two things are bringing down my gas mileage a lot and Im looking into getting the knock sensors fixed first and maybe the cat can wait until I save some more money. Alotta you guys are probably gonna ask why am I driving a gs if Im broke and what not but I really like this car so I would like to make it my reliable daily.

Anyways regarding the knock sensors, Im getting expensive quotes from shops mainly because it is a time consuming job (3-5 hours?) and the parts are quite pricey too. Im also aware that I should also get the wiring harness replaced along with the sensors as well as gaskets for the intake manifold. Regarding the sensors, it is abit too expensive to get it locally.

Does anybody know if sites like this one is reputable?

http://www.toyotaonlineparts.com/oem...tr=89615-30080

I know everybody would recommend Sewell or Carson but Sewell has it for $200 and I live in Canada so by the time the sensors reach my house it will be the same as buying it locally. Since I need to replace both sensors it will be $400 + labour and the harness + gaskets and the whole thing will total close to $1000 which is why Im looking to see if there are ways I can save abit such as buying the part cheaper from the site above.

By the way, as of right now I notice the car doesnt rev past 2000rpm even if Im driving on the highway, it usually stays around the 2000rpm mark regardless of the gear that it is in. The car is driving smooth so I was wondering if this is normal for our cars or if this is some kind of limp/safe mode because my engine light is on due to the sensors and the cat?

Here is a picture of it

Oh and a pic of the car while Im at it

Nice to meet you all!

Last edited by Neosakai; 12-14-13 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 09:30 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the forums...
Old 12-15-13, 10:37 AM
fracmann1
Driver School Candidate

sounds like a limp home mode ecu issue
Old 12-15-13, 08:41 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

Originally Posted by fracmann1
sounds like a limp home mode ecu issue
Could the limp mode be due to the CEL (knock sensor and bad cat)? Or could there be a more serious problem besides these two?

I could still drive the car up to highway speed without any problems though, its just that I notice the rpms stay near 2000rpm unless I really floor it.......
Old 12-15-13, 08:50 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. black on black is the setup
Old 12-15-13, 09:19 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the club
Old 12-15-13, 09:46 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine stays around 2000 rpm too, thats what torque does... If it doesnt pass 2k rpm then its in limp mode, when u are done fixing whatever i would suggest getting some maintenence done even if your broke. the previous owner sounds like he was too, thats why he sold a car in limp mode with a check engine light. Treat the car nice and it will last you a very, very long time. Anyways welcome & and clean car.
Old 12-15-13, 10:54 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsean400
Mine stays around 2000 rpm too, thats what torque does... If it doesnt pass 2k rpm then its in limp mode, when u are done fixing whatever i would suggest getting some maintenence done even if your broke. the previous owner sounds like he was too, thats why he sold a car in limp mode with a check engine light. Treat the car nice and it will last you a very, very long time. Anyways welcome & and clean car.

Oh so it is in limp mode if I cant get it past 2000rpm no matter what, so if the car revs fine if I pedal hard then its normal for the car? Sorry if I sound noob because this is my first automatic so Im having a little OCD because I bought the car as is. And yeah right now my priorities are getting the engine light fixes (knock sensors and the two cats) and then I will start working into maintenance parts like spark plugs, ball joints, caster arm bushings, etc (Been reading this forum for a while before I bought the car).

And thanks everyone for the warm welcome
Old 12-16-13, 05:46 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the purchase and welcome. Check the local (local to you) forums. There's a lot of good people on CL and maybe you'll get lucky and find some close to you that wouldn't mind giving you advice or even a hand with DIY repairs. Good luck!
Old 12-17-13, 01:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought 2 new cats, all screws and nuts to the whole exhaust system, etc. NOT CHEAP. Even with Sewell I paid $2,194. But that's with other things on there associated with my brakes. Doing a suspension tune up as well. My best advice to you my friend is when you buy cats, DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT IT. Money comes and goes. This GS has been MORE THEN FAIR despite being my daily driver in PA where the seasons are harsh. Like gsean400 said, treat these cars good and they'll be good in return. When you buy new ctas, purchase all gaskets from top to bottom seperating the exhaust at each seperation point. And buy new screws + bolts. I have part #s if you need em. So when reperation is done, process goes smooth. I'm currently saving up for all 4 o2 sensors. Not going with Sewell on those. NTK from Japan is my choice on those. Save a few bucks too on eBay. Just read, read, read. On here you'll find PRICELESS INFO on decisions you need to make financially. See what's best for you and go about your options wisely. Post more pics of your progress bro! Good luck!
Old 12-17-13, 10:07 PM
azndriver
Driver

Neat..I too just purchased a 00 GS400 and it needs some of come care..

None the less another option for to replace your cats

would be go here:
http://www.centerlinemotorsports.com/

Get them too weld on some Magnaflow Spun Style Catalytic Converters...

Is one option. Sewell or Carson Lexus would be best bet for OEM knock sensor, otherwise you can try aftermarket which can be found at rockauto.com

Before diving into these repairs, which I know you mentioned you had the code scanned, but where exactly are you located in Ontario?

Reason I ask maybe taking it to a repuatable shop (Aussie Auto, Orenda Auto Service & Repair , Bullock City, etc) and really getting down to what is needed to be repaired

Good luck none the less
Old 12-18-13, 01:36 AM
Neosakai
Rookie

Originally Posted by azndriver
Neat..I too just purchased a 00 GS400 and it needs some of come care..

None the less another option for to replace your cats

would be go here:
http://www.centerlinemotorsports.com/

Get them too weld on some Magnaflow Spun Style Catalytic Converters...

Is one option. Sewell or Carson Lexus would be best bet for OEM knock sensor, otherwise you can try aftermarket which can be found at rockauto.com

Before diving into these repairs, which I know you mentioned you had the code scanned, but where exactly are you located in Ontario?

Reason I ask maybe taking it to a repuatable shop (Aussie Auto, Orenda Auto Service & Repair , Bullock City, etc) and really getting down to what is needed to be repaired

Good luck none the less
I live in Richmond Hill, so pretty close to you

Thanks for the suggestion on the cats. Do you know if these aftermarket cats can for sure pass the emissions test? Thats my major concern right now with regarding the cat repair. I am going to Aussie Auto for these repairs, rick was the one who pulled the codes and showed me it
Old 12-18-13, 09:41 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Another one. Why purchase a car with so many needed repairs?? Is it worth it? I'm going to assume that CEL popped up AFTER you made the purchase??
Old 12-18-13, 12:02 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

Originally Posted by repugnante
Another one. Why purchase a car with so many needed repairs?? Is it worth it? I'm going to assume that CEL popped up AFTER you made the purchase??

This is the ONLY black on black gs430 I could find no matter where I look......
Old 12-18-13, 08:40 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet a kid owned it.. One reason why i hate black cars, at 16 they always want 1 black on black. And then litteraly black out everything. I was one of those kids. So i know what im talking about. I really need to change my sig Lol

Quick Reply: My new GS430 (with some questions)