GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13 | 03:49 AM
LexusBayou
Driver School Candidate

Default Thinking about it

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 2000 Lexus GS 300 that currently has 178,000 miles. Far as I know, the timing belt and water pump have both been replaced. What else should I inquire that should've been serviced thus far and/or what should I look to repair/fix if I were to purchase it? The owner also stated the car could use a tune up. Also from initially driving it, seems as if the front end could use some new struts. What are a good brand? My plan is to use it as an everyday daily driver. No plans on modding it. The car is stock minus an aftermarket head unit. Thanks for and tips/advice
Old 12-18-13 | 09:49 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Ball joints, Control Arms, tie rods, i'm sure theres more but if you search on here u will find what u need.. Good luck
Old 12-18-13 | 11:11 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

^^ what he said and don't forget lca #2 bushings spark plugs and I would want that timing belt and water pump service records on paper...
Old 12-19-13 | 01:06 AM
LexusBayou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys

Got it. Ball joints, control arms, LCA #2 bushings and tie rods. Also the front end is a little "loose". I believe the struts need to be replaced. Other than that, that's all I can see minus the air filter needs to be replace. The car shifts and drives good. I actually searched around on this site and saw some of the things mentioned above in other threads just needed a confirmation so to speak. Far as replacement of the timing belt and water being in question, I'm buying the car from my brother so I'm going to hold him to his word.

What particular brand of struts do you recommend? I've seen KYB GR-2 and Bilstein struts. Also on spark plugs NGK or Denso or does it really matter? Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-13 | 01:13 AM
LexusBayou
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah couple other things....honestly would you guys buy this car with that many miles? Again I plan on using it as a DD. Also what kind of MPG should I expect? Thru my research I've seen anywhere from people getting low 20s up to high 20s on average. I just filled the tank today and reset the trip meter. He's letting me drive it to see how I like it.

To describe my driving style, I can average around 16mpg consistently in the city in a Crewmax Tundra 5.7. In other words, I don't drive hard at all and I slowly accelerate to get up to speed. On the highway I've seen as LOW as 17.5mpg and up to 19mpg in my Tundra. I don't go over 75mph. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-19-13 | 07:06 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Miles don't bother me, I've seen cars with 90k that were in much worse condition mechanically and cosmetically than those with 200k. Used car comes down to condition and history
Old 12-19-13 | 09:38 AM
LexusBayou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Miles don't bother me, I've seen cars with 90k that were in much worse condition mechanically and cosmetically than those with 200k. Used car comes down to condition and history
Ok thanks. I will get everything checked out. If you guys don't mind, I will report back what I find and/or if I have any questions. Thanks for having me.
Old 12-19-13 | 09:40 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

i agree with mileage. Low miles doesnt necessarily mean better condition or maintenance. i bought mine with 190k and have over 200k now and its been better than 90% of all the cars i have ever purchased. love my GS, every time i open my garage
Old 12-19-13 | 10:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

What color is tranny fluid? Black? Mileage doesn't matter at all. It depends on the previous owner keeping the car up and if it's highway miles vs. stop and go.
Old 12-19-13 | 11:34 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Get the VIN and sign up on Lexus Drivers then you can check all of the vehicle history through Lexus dealerships. Everything from day one available at your fingertips.
Old 12-19-13 | 11:43 AM
iToaster
Pole Position
CL Folding 1M

I wouldn't be put off by those miles, I drive mine everyday and it only has 284k on it. Basic maintenance will get you a long way and refreshing the suspension will help a lot. Mileage varies, but I average mid to low 20's.
Old 12-19-13 | 12:42 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iToaster
I wouldn't be put off by those miles, I drive mine everyday and it only has 284k on it. Basic maintenance will get you a long way and refreshing the suspension will help a lot. Mileage varies, but I average mid to low 20's.
Agreed. Mine has 179k and I get about 19 100% city. My Gf just got one with 280k (supposedly motor swapped with lower mileage) drives better than mine! Just needs a suspension refresh is all.
Old 12-19-13 | 04:26 PM
egs21
Pole Position

I have a 2002 GS300 and I get around 21-22 in mostly city driving. I only use premium fuel. I drive her nicely which probably helps boost my MPGs a bit. This engine is smooth and has good power, but fuel economy is not its strength. Although given how heavy the GS is, it isn't expected to have amazing gas mileage.
Old 12-19-13 | 06:28 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
Ball joints, Control Arms, tie rods
and a previous owner who cared about the car and ur good for another 100k+ depending on how you treat your cars. I'd do it
Old 12-19-13 | 10:34 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Okay i have to disagree with everyone. Even if the car does not have records i would get it... if the body is in good shape. These cars are like hondas... Theyre bullet proof. I bought my old 98 gs400 from a 20 year old. He bought it with 80,000 miles and had no records for anything. I asked him about the timing belt and he asked what that was. It was in bad shape i knew he didnt take care of it. The paint was sun baked, there was a big crack on the door. The window tint was purple (autozone) the suspension made noises and the engine bay was dirty and looked like it was never touched. I then got the car with i think it was 113k. I was 16 then and had a bad lead foot. I straight piped the exhaust with either 2.5 or 3 inch pipes from the cats back, and my lead foot got worse. The only time it saw the freeway i topped the car out and my radiator took a dump on me. i was going 140 and when i looked back there was smoke everywhere and the temp was as high as it could be. At 150k i finally changed the oil. The beating continued. And sold the car at 197k. That car took alot of abuse and never gave me one problem. I got a chrysler 300 with 40k miles and did the oil change every 3000 miles and at 89k it threw a rod. And i drove that car like a granny since it was my first nice newer low milage car iv ever had. I see any gs passing 200k with no problems, and one thats well cared for passing 300k. These cars remind me of the subaru commercial " we bought a subaru cause nothing could break our old one" and thats why i bought another one 4 months ago.

Last edited by gsean400; 12-19-13 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about it