GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Satisfaction Rate - owning GS300/400/430
34.85%
45.45%
7 - 8
16.86%
1.33%
5 & below
1.52%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Satisfaction Rate ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 05:57 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my 96 GS had 50 more horses I would rate it a 10!! The fit and finish, reliability, and purchase experience are all a plus in my book. I would rate the car a 8, as it stands, it really sucks not being able to keep up with my little brothers 95 Avalon!! (damn those things are fast!!!)B
Old 02-04-03, 06:03 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

How can you say that about bimmer stereos????? By far the best mono system I have ever heard. In fact, the GS stereo annoys me because it sounds so clear

I am going to try a new dealer - not fair to base the Lexus experience on one place.

Alas, I wish my GS430 was quiet - the ticking noise that comes from the engine makes me use every watt of that MK stereo system. The dealer says it is the fuel injectors - curious if yours makes that racket as well? I drove a friend' GS400 and he had a bit of it as well leading me to believe it is "normal".
Old 02-04-03, 07:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Do you hear it with the radio on or just sitting with the car quiet? I haven't really noticed but I have a qualified old farts ears and may have spent a little too much time over various small and big blocks in the sixties and seventies to be a good judge (Mean Gene, you here?). The other thing that bimmer got me used to was gas additive. At least for the years I had, the engine would carbon up frequently. Got a bimmer campaign and then they mandated gas additive and claimed to be suing the gas suppliers. I used the bimmer additive for a while (and it did help quite a bit) but found that RedLine additive (I think it is S-1) did as good a job and was quite a bit more cost effective and easier to get hold of. Being as **** as I am, once I found it helped the bimmer, I have stayed with it over the years so all our cars get regular doses of additive. Wonder if that might make a difference because I don't think I hear a clicking but I will check when I drive it next (using the GS3 for going to work now). Seems like there is a check valve in the injectors that could make a click but hard to believe it should be that noticeable. The stupid car is so quiet it is amazing what will drive you crazy.
Old 02-04-03, 07:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hear it very loud when car is cold (you wouldn't understand cold being from Calif - BTW, I grew up in Walnut Creek). But even warmed up it is still there. Just like a lifter noise. Dealer swears it is the fuel injectors. Car almost sounds like there is a playing card inbetween the spokes of the wheel (ahh those childhood memories). Most annoying.

Never had this in my Supra (my last Toyota - a 1991). However, I do think that I am missing some of the plugs underneath the car so I may be picking up more of it than normal. Would love to see if those plugs are missing, but it is too darn cold here to crawl around on the ground.

EX996 has the same car I do and seems to have all the same issues as well (well the steering issue for sure).
Old 02-04-03, 09:02 PM
marcianof
Rookie

Default 10 Rating

I rated my 2003 GS430 a 10 because it is a 10.
10 10 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I walk in the door at work everyday I have a big smile from driving car to work. I put in the Borla's and the SRT Intake with the Race ECU and oh boy what a sound and what performance.
I have had the car for two months and put over 4000 miles on it already, no problems and lovin life!
By far the best car I have ever owned. Mark Levinson sound is number one and ice cold air conditioning, even at 130MPH!
What a great car and yes the lease payment was unbelievable - 200/month less than 540i BMW. No deals on BMW's and the interior and comfort cannot compare to the Lexus, no way.
10 10 10 10 10 10
Old 02-05-03, 06:41 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I rated my GS 10.

I drove 96 Audi A4 before my 95 SC400. 2 months out of the warranty the transmission started to behave on me, and replacing one, when the car has Quattro, is not cheap. That was a nice car, and interior wise it felt like a downgrade stepping to SC400, but only interior wise.
I always wanted BMW 540i. While driving SC400 I had a chance to drive my friend's 97 540i without the sport package. I actually was very disappointed, I guess I was expecting way more out of that car. Then I bought GS400, and drove my other friend's 00 540i with the sport suspension. Let's just say I'm staying with Lexus. I personally believe, that GS400 is a much better car then 540i. I also, had a chance to take 99 Porsche 911, non-turbo, for a spin. Let me tell you, in my personal opinion, GS400 has more in common with 911 then 540.

Last edited by ChrisK; 02-05-03 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-05-03, 09:21 AM
russ29
Rookie

I give it a 6...

Ok with ride, OK with performance, (quiet and fast)

Too many rattles (sun roof, dash, something in the back seat)

Sometimes I have to look to see if it is a Lexus or Toyota

I have a clicking in the driver's door.

On the plus side...

I love the glove box CD changer. I know everyone loves the in-dash but I can change out 6 at a time and they can only change one!

I do about 1000 miles a week and I am picky. I hate rattles!

Last edited by LexFather; 02-07-03 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-05-03, 11:45 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Doug - just a quick note. I went home last night and started my GS4 up, couldn't here any kind of ticking noise. Popped the hood and stuck my big fat head right down on the engine cover (and held it with my hand to see if I could feel anything either) and nothing. Obviously there are mechanical noises but nothing I would in any way categorize as a ticking noise. I truly hope you have one of those slightly rare bum dealer service departments. If you go to another dealer and he gives you the same answer, I think I would be tempted to have the service guy pull a new GS4 and start it up and see if it does it. Regardless of reputation, these things are all too much money to not be satisfied with and I have a feeling yours should not be making that noise. I don't like noises that are louder when cold. It always means to me that with the engine cold and little lubrication, it is noticeable. Then, when the oil circulates and things get warm, the noises reduce. Problem is the amount of wear that is going on when the engine is cold. For a while, we got enamored with the quickee oil change places and I noticed that both our company van and my wife's 929 made a very noticeable ticking when starting up. I had a conversation with the Mazda parts guy and he said it was probably the oil filter. The quickee oil change places have a hard time scrimping (hard to fake oil) but some use very cheap filters with no bypass valve and the oil won't circulate cold. We switched to bringing our own filters and the problem went away. Gets you off the quickee oil change places. Hope you find a dealer who is willing to solve the problem.
Old 02-05-03, 07:42 PM
Likecars
Rookie

9 for me. Had the 99 for 6 months, truely a delight to drive.

I have moved up through the ranks: 94 ES300, 95 LS400, and now the 99 GS400.

I was surprised by the rattle here and there, only reason I did not give it a 10. Would only trade it for another Lexus!!!
Old 02-07-03, 12:10 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

This is a tough rating for me to give...
I have beenhappy with my car...its realiabilty...
I dislike, how it is a BIG target for thieves...how that has kept insurance rates higher than the comparable cars...and how ive had to pay for every service.
Ive also disliked thelittle things...the little rattles...the AM interference...the cd freezing when playing periodically...but these should be expected in a first model year.

Overall...ill give it an 8...
Now if this number also included what I expect from lexus it would be lower...what do i expect? A GSxxx that has at least another horses. If lexus doesnt provide it, i look forward to seeing sales drop.
Old 02-07-03, 04:49 PM
NYC Max
Driver

My three top choices were 98-99 GS 400, 98-99 BMW 540IA and 98-99 E430. After driving all three, I fell in love with the GS 4, even though it might not handle as well as the Bimmer, there's just something about punching it and just hearing wind and that muted but intimidating roar. Even though the 0-60 figures I saw were something like 5.8 for the Lex, 6.4 for the Bimmer, 6.1 for the Benz, the GS just feels like it would absolutely murder both of them throughout the entire powerband.

Brings us to looks, 97-2K 540I gets maybe a 6 at best when its without the sport package, fitted with those horrible 16" rims, horrible exterior colors and ugly black moldings, nasty foggy headlights that mostly came without HID. Even with the sport package 17" rims, still doesnt look much better. To be fair, it has a lot to do with the 2K1+ coming out and just showing us what this car can look like with only a few minor tweaks.

The 98-99 E430 gets a 5, looking like its reserved only for a fancy senior citizen. An E430 Sport looks much better with the 17's, kind of a body kit, different sporty fogs. Still, however, the car just didnt do it for me. I'd give it a 7.5 with the sport package.

The 98-99 GS 400 however I would rate a 10 but only with a configuration I was lucky enough to get. Chrome factory 17" Rims with 245 wide tires, HID+amber fogs, spoiler, as well as very dark tint. I'll be the first to say that my friends Gold 98 GS 400 with no HID, 16's sitting on passenger goodyears, no spoiler and no tint would only rate as a 6 in my book as well.

In terms of reliability, I've always only trusted Japanese car makers and after months of research, I just flat out decided to stay away from BMW and Benz after all the horror stories from personal friends. Also, some people say they arent happy with the GS interior, I think its just brilliant. Everything that you need is there, just doesnt get any better. No extra fancy shmancy BS, I think it just doesnt get anymore user friendly than that.

Overall, I would give my GS a 10, but I'll bring it down to a 9.5 because of having to change the timing belt at 90K, the stupid minor gurgling noise problem many people seem to have, as well as a very sensitive ECU that has to reset itself while car is driving for a few hours after a battery failure.
Old 02-07-03, 06:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

"ugly black moldings" - I assume you mean on the door and not the blacked out trim of the bimmer sports package? (hint to Lexus, lose the chrome).

Lexus may have some nice colors but you can't get them anymore - at least not here in the midwest - its black on black if you want a GS430 unless you are up to ordering one.

and... while I think my GS has better looks than my 540, not one person has liked the car better. Most have said "the 540 was a nicer looking car - didn't have all those curves of your current car". To each his own - I do still think the GS is a better looking car - more flashy?? yes for sure.

Also, your 0-60 numbers are wrong and I can assure you that a 540 with sports package is quicker. Go check out C&D for t he head to head comparison (note the E430 had the same quarter mile time as the GS430 as well).

Finally, I can honestly say, the sound the 540 makes is pure music - there is nothing muted about it. All done with a single hidden exhaust. Most impressive.
Old 02-07-03, 06:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

CR, Fall 2002, New Car Preview 2003, does make the comment that the 530 is the highest-rated vehicle tested by CR. Good kudos but not sure what highest rated vehicle means although I looked up some 5 series reviews and notice they rate the 530 higher than the 540 for cost issues (it is CR after all).

For the 3 series:

"BMW's entry level 3 series line offers a nearly ideal blend of sportiness, comfort, luxury, and safety. Sedan, coupe, wagon, and convertible models are available, as are three all wheel drive "xi" variants. The 333-hp M3 brings even more performance to the line. Handling is nimble, and the ride is comfortable and composed. The engine lineup comprises a variety of inline Sixes, all of which are smooth, strong, and relatively fuel efficient. The well rounded 225hp 330i sedan we tested had sports car aceleration, excellent brakes, a smooth five speed automatic, and a quiet cabin. The front seats are very comfortable, though the rear seat is cramped. Reliability has fallen to below average, so we no longer recommend the 3 series."

Great car, great review. Except for the last sentence. I think this might be different than last year from CR so the 3 must be sliding somewhat. 5 series gets the open circle average reliability rating.
Old 02-07-03, 11:03 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
"ugly black moldings" - I assume you mean on the door and not the blacked out trim of the bimmer sports package? (hint to Lexus, lose the chrome).>>

The 2K1+ 5 series is one of the best looking cars ever made. I'm talking about the 97-00, what I meant for example is that disgusting silver color with a nice black molding all around, or how about a white one with the black molding all around. Very dull paint overall. Also, its funny you mention the chrome on the Lex, thats part of what makes it so damn attractive, combined with my chrome 17's.

<<and... while I think my GS has better looks than my 540, not one person has liked the car better. Most have said "the 540 was a nicer looking car - didn't have all those curves of your current car". To each his own - I do still think the GS is a better looking car - more flashy?? yes for sure.>>

Yes, some people are more conservative than others, however some 97-00 540IA's in stock form are just plain hideous. The GS just has that pleasingly exotic look at least to me.

<<Also, your 0-60 numbers are wrong and I can assure you that a 540 with sports package is quicker. Go check out C&D for t he head to head comparison (note the E430 had the same quarter mile time as the GS430 as well).>>

I'm very familiar with the article you speak of and even though the 2K2 540I still has the same 4.4 V8 motor, things were definitely changed in one way or another(HP/TQ boost of some sort). Dont have the article on me and too lazy to check for it online but I can tell you off hand that they rated the 2K2 540IAs at 5.8 0-60 and the GS 430 at 6.0 0-60. As for the 1/4, the 540 and GS430 both did 14.3, the E 430 a 14.7. I'm not just talking from my rear, all three of these have been my dream car for years. I have seen numerous road tests for 97-00 540IA's all placing them in the mid 6 seconds 0-60 range(Cars.com Reviews, among other places) as for the GS 400, 6 flat was the absolute slowest.

<<Finally, I can honestly say, the sound the 540 makes is pure music - there is nothing muted about it. All done with a single hidden exhaust. Most impressive.
>>

I know what you mean and I have several friends with bimmers(that visit the shop quite often) and it is pretty a pretty pleasing sound. All I wanted to say was that Lexus didnt do that, yet still has an amazing appeal with that silent but deadly acceleration and relatively soft but aggressive growl.

Just to make myself even more clear:

98 540IAs or 98 GS400. HANDS DOWN, GS 400 for me.

2K3 540IAs or 2K3 GS430. HANDS DOWN, 540I for me.

I dont have to explain the first choice, since I already did in my previous post. As for the second choice, like I said I did BMW did quite a number with their freshning up of the 5 series. I mean they worked magic without even doing much. Angel Eyes and the new crystalized headlights with the projector HID are just a flat out brilliant design. Inroducing many new amazing colors and making the paint finish sharp as it should be was a must, as well as making those moldings color matched. Some of the best damn stock rims I've ever seen as compared to the ugliest I've ever seen on 97-00 models. Freshning up the tails came in very handy as well, minor but a huge improvement over the bland ugly 97-00 tails. As well as a HP and/or TQ boost of some kind which I thought was minor but I guess very underrated after all. Thats about it for the major improvements. Other reasoning is that I dont trust any BMW after two years of ownership, so in this case I would be getting it new. Also, I'm a huge manual tranny fan, so I would in fact get it in 6 speed. Also, it does handle a lot better in stock form. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Last edited by NYC Max; 02-07-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 11:41 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

I understand the obvious comparison to the 540ia,however I know when i bought the GS i was comparing it to the 540 6speed. THat was a tougher comparison and choice for me to make. In the end, the little extra power and the more catchy looks with the spoiler, upgraded wheels pushed me towards the GS. Despite all that, I feel that if the GS400 hadnt come with the Eshift at the time, I wouldve bought the 540 6speed instead. I need something to do when I drive...and if all i do is throw it in drive, ill be bored...looks can always be modified, but driveability, is harder to rectify.

Quick Reply: Satisfaction Rate ..