GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Satisfaction Rate - owning GS300/400/430
34.85%
45.45%
7 - 8
16.86%
1.33%
5 & below
1.52%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Satisfaction Rate ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 11:49 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ThemisN
I understand the obvious comparison to the 540ia,however I know when i bought the GS i was comparing it to the 540 6speed. THat was a tougher comparison and choice for me to make. In the end, the little extra power and the more catchy looks with the spoiler, upgraded wheels pushed me towards the GS. Despite all that, I feel that if the GS400 hadnt come with the Eshift at the time, I wouldve bought the 540 6speed instead. I need something to do when I drive...and if all i do is throw it in drive, ill be bored...looks can always be modified, but driveability, is harder to rectify.
I completely agree with you and yet I have always been one of those strict manual tranny only guys. Just like you said, the way mine looks with the Spoiler, Chrome 17's, just puts a smile on my face every time I see it. http://www.cardomain.com/id/nycgs4

As for the E-shift, I only find it useful for what you said, just to have something to do. I think its definitely the best manumatic around, but even so, still a very far cry from driving a car with a real manual tranny.
Old 02-19-03, 12:02 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I gave it a 9. My GS430 is by far the finest car I've ever owned, but I have to admit that my eye still wanders to various other cars as possible replacements. I'd only give a 10 to a car that kept the wandering eye from...well...wandering. Right now the only cars that I think might fit that category are the M5, E55 AMG, (possibly) RS6, and SL55 AMG. Given the price difference between a 9 and a 10 in my world, I'll say I'm a very happy camper!
Old 04-09-03, 12:00 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

7-8; too many rattles; a little noisy; radio was losing some of it's digits during the winter

Hasn't seen the shop for any mechanical problems in 33k miles. Great car.

Still wrestling with the idea of installing a turbo. It's cheaper then buying another car once I factor in the sales tax .
Old 04-09-03, 09:42 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

i gave it an 8.

1. shes a 4 door i prefer the 2 door SC's

2. i prefer manuals to automatic .... gotta have the clutch sorry i loose the fun in shifting an autostick

3. i prefer the SC look b/c it looks like a luxary SPORTS car

i mean i still love my GS......its just not the PEFECT 10 to me.

~ Stella
Old 04-09-03, 01:46 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

The whole car has continued to sour on me, enough that I almost pulled the trigger on an M5 last weekend. All the buddies were pushing it, and insurance was reasonable despite being only 24, but I figured I would wait for the E55 a year from now. I just dont feel like having an outdated car, be it the m5, the lex, or whatever, with all these beasts coming out. Only thing stopping me on the e55 is the auto, cause I was yearning for a manual..so we'll see what I end up doing within the next yr.
Old 04-09-03, 08:14 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Originally posted by ThemisN
The whole car has continued to sour on me, enough that I almost pulled the trigger on an M5 last weekend. All the buddies were pushing it, and insurance was reasonable despite being only 24, but I figured I would wait for the E55 a year from now. I just dont feel like having an outdated car, be it the m5, the lex, or whatever, with all these beasts coming out. Only thing stopping me on the e55 is the auto, cause I was yearning for a manual..so we'll see what I end up doing within the next yr.
Even with the 500HP Auto, you still wont have as much fun as an M5, even if it is aging. I went from a 200HP Maxima 5 Speed, to a 300HP GS, thinking the GS will be such a beast it will make me forget all about needing a manual. I was wrong, I'm already itching to pick up another manual tranny equipped car.

As for the GS, after spending 10 weeks with it, my views changed a bit.

In terms of exterior styling and interior fit and finish, doesnt get better in my book. Perfect 10 all around.

In terms of performance, its just killing me. One day its a 10, one day its a 5. No pattern at all.

Also, due to a few little ebarassments such as the PERMANENT low idle problem, subpar OEM stereo, car running in limp mode and stalling each time the ECU is reset, my overall rating for it is now about a 7.

Only reason I still own it is for the way it looks and the way it drives 50% of the time.
Old 04-10-03, 09:18 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Oh i know the e55 wont be as fun as the current m5, but every time i look back at the e39 m5, it looks older. I still love it, but i always thought it was aging...and now it's looking more and more like it when seeing the new compeition.
Old 04-11-03, 10:34 PM
lucino
Rookie

Personally, I would take the 540 over the GS400.
I remember the first time I drove the 540, the feel of the steering wheel was nothing like a Lex.
However, interior wise, I would say Lex kicks butt.
Anyway , both are great cars, let's not compare reliabilities because we all have different driving style.
you just might one of those guys who take their cars out 2 o'clock in the morning and race up and down the highway.

I'll give GS a 8.5.
Old 05-26-03, 11:42 PM
GS430|Moku
Driver

I give it a 7.5

My reasons being.

I feel used by my dealership, Steven's Creek Lexus. They have charged me over 3k in maintnace since we started the lease. It should have all been under warranty, but they didn't "think" it was and charged me for it. (Mostly transmission problems)

When pulling out of my garage the gear shifting can be very very harsh sometimes. Sometimes with rattles, clanks, and whines for a little bit.

The engine whines while warming up.

Factory stereo just blew on me after I installed an XM reciever.

I don't like the fact that everything is "Ultra-Integrated"

Tires don't last 15k miles.

Our dealership seems to be run by people who don't know much about their own cars.

But, on the plus side.

Best looking car on the market besides a viper.. imho.

Everything is "Ultra-Integrated"

Fairly good bang for the buck. Could be better, but good enough.

Full size spare.

These are jsut my opinions. There are way more +'s that I dont' feel like listing right now.
Old 05-27-03, 12:40 PM
Houston GS

Default Great Car

Mine is a 2001 GS 430 - I have had it for only two months and I agree with a few comments about rattles and creaks - but they seem to come and go and move around weird?

I think this car is the best sport sedan available. Great balance between sport and ride. Build quality is great and reliability blows away the Germans (based on what numbers are published (consumer reports) and

I have always been very immpressed with the Lexus dealship and their willingness to atleast humor my incredibly nit-pick service requests. I think the technicians could be a little better though.

I got to spend some time behind the wheel of a 2002 E55 (350hp not 2003's 500). Wow! what a car. My other car is a 1995 Corvette and the E55 handled like my Corvette with a fresh set of tires. The straight line acceleration was pretty impressive, definitely a little stronger than the GS (not close to low end torque of a Corvette though). But the down sides of the E55: Talk about road noise (about as loud as a Who concert incomparison to the GS), infinitely more rattles than the GS, price tag of ~$85k (versus the $35k I paid for my GS with 22k miles).

Wild thing with the Lexus. Last month I did a conference call from the Lexus in airport parking and turned on my map light. Left on my trip for 2 days and 4 hours. Returned and walked up to my car and wondered why the map light was on and then thought "Darn! left the light on - the car will never start!" I opened the door turned the key and the car started!!! How can that be? AggieGS's comment about having to replace the battery twice made me think of this - so far my experience has been opposite his. I got my MS at A&M - maybe this leaving the lights on is an Aggie thing?
Old 06-03-03, 07:36 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default 1999 model gs400

i purchased my car abotu a year and a half ago and i swear i don't know many other cars i would want to own...well except the supercars there coming out with, and with me not making that kind of money yet i would say my gs is about the most fun i could have on the highway. I have never driven a 540 stick but i did a automatic and was mildly impressed with it, nothing too special and not near worth the money they were asking, i personally think lexus fits the bill on what they do, which is create a nice plush automobile with some kick. I give my lex a 9.5 just for the little rattle in the sunroof and not having bigger brakes.
Old 12-28-03, 06:47 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

i rate my lexus a 9.5 and as far as cl member doug goes if your so proud of the bmw y the heck did u get rid of it and buy a lexus and as far a the noise your hearing sounds like you got a problem cause i don't hear no ticking noises from my car and as far as road noise are ya driving with your windows down hahahahah cause when i have the windows rolled up i can't hear any road noise. anyways to simplify wat i just said go get a bmw if your unhappy with your lexus.
Old 12-28-03, 09:45 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

aznxguy714,
Your command of the English language amazes me. Thanks for posting to a thread that is 6 months old.
Old 12-29-03, 02:38 PM
kvoman
Driver

Doug - I know this is an old post but was curious - did you ever find out what caused the ticking noise? I'm experiencing the same noise in my Honda Odyssey and it turned out to be the AC system. When the engine and AC system is turned on, the clicking noise can be heard - at first I thought it was the oil filter (that wasn't it as I changed three differen types, including Honda's OEM) as one eluded to in one of the posts, only figured it out when I accidentally turned off the AC system and the fan. The engine was purring, no clicking noise at all, even with a Fram oil filter!

Our '01 GS 430 does not have any clicking noise at all, cold or warm.

BTW - I rate our GS an 8, a 9 if it had the old E-shift, and a 10 if it came with a 6-spd like the 540i.
Old 12-29-03, 02:45 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
aznxguy714,
Your command of the English language amazes me. Thanks for posting to a thread that is 6 months old.
LOL
I couldn't agree more re: that English language thing! And where's he been?... hibernating for 6 months?

Anyway, his is certainly not the majority opinion. I have lots of respect for BMW, but Lexus is a better fit for my particular needs. I'm just sorry you haven't had the same experience the rest of us have had.

Quick Reply: Satisfaction Rate ..