GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mods to increase reliability for a GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 06:37 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raytseng
i thnk the problem is you're dealing with hypotheticals.

Go buy your car, then drive it for a bit, then come back and ask about what you like/don't like and what you want to improve.

There's little point discussing maintenance or mods when you don't have the car yet to maintain or modify.
I don't think it's entirely pointless to do a bit of planning on what to look at and address right away when getting one, but I understand where you're coming from. Frankly, I can't wait to start test driving a few. The only thing I could forsee that would prevent me from buying one is if I can't fit comfortably. I'm 6' 6", and all torso.
Old 12-27-13, 06:42 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will like the car, especially if reliability is your main focus. These cars are rock solid. I drive a 2002 GS300 and it rides as quiet and smooth as cars far newer. Both the inline 6 and V8 engines are known to be reliable performers that will run a long time with proper maintenance. The 90k service is your big one with the timing belt (and possibly water pump) replaced as well as other items that I can't recall off the top of my head.

I would personally try to find one with maintenance records just to make sure the car was taken care of. Pretty common sense.
Old 12-27-13, 10:08 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So many complex answers it seems.

Replace the following:

-: Lower Ball Joints
-: Outer/Inner Tie Rods
-: Sway Bar Bushings (Upgrade the sways to TRD IMO)
-: Sway Bar End Links
-: Steering Rack Bushings
-: Timing Belt/Water Pump

You can purchase half of these items off of RockAuto (Moog is what I go with) and have them shipped to your door for under $150. I just did that for my Gf's GS about a month ago. Moog outer tie rods, LBJ's and Raybestos Professional Grade Sway Bushings and it came out to 140 or something shipped with 5% discount code, so for about 200 you can get all of these items shipped to you other than the steering rack bushings. Steering rack bushings purchase from Sewell Lexus. Sign up with your CL name and you will receive a CL discount.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-27-13, 10:20 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
So many complex answers it seems.

Replace the following:

-: Lower Ball Joints
-: Outer/Inner Tie Rods
-: Sway Bar Bushings (Upgrade the sways to TRD IMO)
-: Sway Bar End Links
-: Steering Rack Bushings
-: Timing Belt/Water Pump

You can purchase half of these items off of RockAuto (Moog is what I go with) and have them shipped to your door for under $150. I just did that for my Gf's GS about a month ago. Moog outer tie rods, LBJ's and Raybestos Professional Grade Sway Bushings and it came out to 140 or something shipped with 5% discount code, so for about 200 you can get all of these items shipped to you other than the steering rack bushings. Steering rack bushings purchase from Sewell Lexus. Sign up with your CL name and you will receive a CL discount.

Good luck and enjoy!
^^^^ follow his lead - coming from the car ur leaving the gs will be a nice change in cost when doing maintenance. Im sure u'll be fine just buy the car verify what was done and what needs to be done. No one can truly answer until u get the car and start going through it. Cause u could easily be picking up a former members car that was taken care of or someone who cared less about getting their moms hand me down for graduation.

But by mods you aren't refering to maintenance r u?

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 12-27-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 06:40 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Hello. Great question. IMO, if you keeping it stock and prefer to use it as a daily driver, there's ,any things you can do. I got a silver on silver 01' GS430. Bought it with 76.5K miles on it. Has almost 100k now and its going on to 2 years I've had it. I'd recommend changing oils every 3k miles. Keep the engine in tip top shape. OEM or K&N oil and air filters are a good investment. New spark plugs. I used NGK for mine. Lower ball joints and outer tie rods are also a good tune up suspension wise. I used Moog for mine. Made in Japan; stamped 555. Also, if your cats are in good condition, I'd really order all gaskets and 02 sensors and get those put in asap. To avoid that CEL everybody gets from sensor failure. Currently dealing with that. You can get GREAT discounts on www.sewellparts.com if you register your account with your CL account. Aside from those little things, these cars are SOLID. I'd say twice as solid as any BMW or Mercedes Benz. You won't be disappointed!! Good luck on your search bro!
How do you register your account to receive these discounts? I wasn't aware of this!
Old 12-28-13, 05:31 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS

How do you register your account to receive these discounts? I wasn't aware of this!
Go to www.sewellparts.com and attempt to sign up. Make an account. And somewhere in between that process you will be asked if you have a CL account, membership, etc. You enter your CL info onto there and you should be good bro. Really simple. Everything you buy off there will be a great discount as opposed to regular prices. I've saved tons of money! I hope this helped bro!
Old 12-28-13, 05:53 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Go to www.sewellparts.com and attempt to sign up. Make an account. And somewhere in between that process you will be asked if you have a CL account, membership, etc. You enter your CL info onto there and you should be good bro. Really simple. Everything you buy off there will be a great discount as opposed to regular prices. I've saved tons of money! I hope this helped bro!
Most, not everything, but most. Still the advice is good!
Keep a list of what you need, and plan ahead for things such as OEM wiper blades and filters to save on shipping,
Old 12-29-13, 05:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raytseng

Most, not everything, but most. Still the advice is good!
Keep a list of what you need, and plan ahead for things such as OEM wiper blades and filters to save on shipping,
Hey bro do you think using a K&N oil filter and air filter is bad? As opposed to OEM? I've always used them and haven't had any problems. I'd like your opinion on this.
Old 12-29-13, 06:10 PM
raytseng
Instructor

On the K&N air filter.
My thoughts are, there is nothing wrong with paper filter. You're not going to be gaining anything from "upgrading" the filter, and if you misuse the K&N, you potentially can cause issues. Plus, is it not a hassle to do your reoiling? So risk with no reward, not worth it.

What I do is just replace with regular air filter every 15k. This can be Toyota filter if I have it; but also I've used an off-the-shelf Fram from parts store. Despite people bashing on fram; come on, it's paper in a frame; it's not rocket science or brain surgery.

On the Oil Filter:
The engine is pretty sturdy. Any filter is going to be fine under a standard OCI (and remember the manual says 7,500; 5000 is for severe service).
It is a bit of a catch-22. If you are the type of guy who cares enough to know your oil filter, you're already changing your oil regularly, and likely with a good quality oil, so you're not going to have any issues.

You only need a fancy filter if you're neglecting this car or running it outside of specs like with serious mods or extended ocis. So those that could benefit from this, are those that won't have it. And those that have it, won't benefit from it.

The more you read about oil filters, the more you realize they aren't really that special. Just realizing that a particular filter is applicable to like 30 different lexuses/toyotas and like 50 other cars from other manufactures, even with different engines, lets you know it's not specially designed for your car and not special
I have used either a toyota filter if I have them from an order, or a pure1pure filter, or the filter comes with my oil change bundle.
Basically whatever was handiest and cheapest to buy.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-29-13 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 06:30 PM
egs21
Pole Position

I don't see any issue with upgrading to a K&N air filter. I've used them in every Lexus I've owned with no issues. While they are supposed to increase performance, any gains you get are not noticeable. I use them because they are lifetime guaranteed and just have to be cleaned every 50k. It saves money in long-run compared to replacing lower quality paper air filters.

Plus, how can someone possibly "mis-use" a K&N filter? It fits just like a regular air filter. The only mis-use a person could have with an air filter is not having one, lol
Old 12-29-13, 06:36 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Someone asked my opinion, and I am just saying what I do. Feel free to do whatever you want with your own car. If you feel that it gave you some improvement, or that it is "higher quality" then you're doing just fine. But for me, I just don't see it.

Misuse happens during when they over oil the filter and then the oil gets into your intake. Even if there is no risk of damage, I wouldn't want to pay for the privilege of the hassle of cleaning a filter. Plus, my thought process is that my car gets more air then it can use, just stock.
Old 12-29-13, 06:38 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Fair enough. Just didn't understand the whole initial "mis-use" comment in regards to an air filter. Just my opinion as well. Have a good one.
Old 12-29-13, 06:48 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need to do anything. These cars are reliable as is. Lemme tell u a story. In 2001 my friends dad had a gs430. in 2001 i wasnt old enough to drive. He picked me and my friend up for school, when he arrived my mom said wow, thats a really really expensive car. It was black on black. I loved the car. When he floored it was the day i started to like performance cars. He loved that car. He was 6'6 and he said the beSt part of the car was that it fit him. I never thought i would have a car that nice and now look, iv owned three. I wanted something fast and reliable. The car was a perfect fit. A reliable v8? How often do u hear that? I talked to my friends dad about 2 months ago. I was shocked that he still had the car. I asked why he didnt upgrade. And he said its the only reliable car thats been in the house and he doesnt know what he would do without it. He bought it with vvery very very low miles and it now has over 300k. His wife had a hummer. The kids have a jeep and a ford f250. And they always get new cars. For him to keep it says something.
Old 12-29-13, 07:44 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Good story Sean. Another great example of the amazing reliability of the GS.
Old 12-29-13, 09:01 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
You dont need to do anything. These cars are reliable as is. Lemme tell u a story. In 2001 my friends dad had a gs430. in 2001 i wasnt old enough to drive. He picked me and my friend up for school, when he arrived my mom said wow, thats a really really expensive car. It was black on black. I loved the car. When he floored it was the day i started to like performance cars. He loved that car. He was 6'6 and he said the beSt part of the car was that it fit him. I never thought i would have a car that nice and now look, iv owned three. I wanted something fast and reliable. The car was a perfect fit. A reliable v8? How often do u hear that? I talked to my friends dad about 2 months ago. I was shocked that he still had the car. I asked why he didnt upgrade. And he said its the only reliable car thats been in the house and he doesnt know what he would do without it. He bought it with vvery very very low miles and it now has over 300k. His wife had a hummer. The kids have a jeep and a ford f250. And they always get new cars. For him to keep it says something.
Dam bro thank you for telling this story. It makes me feel that much happier to have this sexy bad boy. I'm in love with my car lol. And yes I meticulously maintain it. That's why I asked about the oil and air filters. I change my oil every 3k... I know I know ppl say I'M CRAZY.. but honestly I don't see anything bad with maintaining your engine in tip top shape. Ok disagree but hey, we all think different right?.. hey I had anther ? for you. I see you answer them honestly and meaningfully. I plan to get my suspension tuned up a bit soon..so far I have Moog (555 stamped) lower ball joints & outer tie rods.. I think there's a thing or two I could change down there just not too familiar with parts. Any suggestions on components other then those 2 mentioned I can change? And if so OEM or aftermarket? I've read allot about "bushings" "caster arms" etc.. not too familiar tho with those parts myself. I also bought cross drilled rotors and pads. None OEM but I paid s nice amount so I think they'll be good. Next time I'll go OEM. I also bought the Shimming kits and fitting kits for all 4 tires. Anything I'm forgetting? I wanna tighten up anything I can. From your experience, what do you say is missing as a final touch my friend? ?

Quick Reply: Mods to increase reliability for a GS430?