GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rust!!! on the OEM rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 06:34 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Rust!!! on the OEM rear spoiler

My GS430 is about 2 years old now and is park in the open environment. Wash almost every weekend. This weekend while waxing I found that the plate at the bottom of the OEM rear spoiler was rusting. Had the Lexus service manager check it out and they scheduled an appointment for me to bring it to their body shop for possible repair or replacement of the metal piece.

Those of you that park their GS in the open environment may want to check your rear spoiler.

Chu...
Attached Thumbnails Rust!!! on the OEM rear spoiler-rust.jpg  

Last edited by ChuH; 01-29-03 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 06:59 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ha, what am I looking at here? spoiler ?
I parked in the open, no problem at all.
Old 01-29-03, 07:12 PM
ChuH
Instructor

It is the part under the wing. Here is a picture of the plate location. The rust is at the edges.
Attached Thumbnails Rust!!! on the OEM rear spoiler-spoiler.jpg  

Last edited by ChuH; 01-29-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 07:16 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it is rust? The OEM spoiler is not metal, but polyurethane I thought.
Old 01-29-03, 07:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah that's what i was wondering too, there are metal inside?!

mine always park outside durnig the day and never problem too
Old 01-29-03, 07:18 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally posted by BananaGS
ha ha, what am I looking at here? spoiler ?
I parked in the open, no problem at all.
Probably because I am located in tropical island where high humidity and salt air accelerates the rusting. The Lexus service manager informed me that my is the second GS that he encounter that has this problem. Did not check with him what year the other GS was.

The area of rust can easily be over look. Not everyone looks under the wing.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 01-29-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 07:21 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally posted by Dex
Are you sure it is rust? The OEM spoiler is not metal, but polyurethane I thought.
Yes it is rust. Rough to the touch and bumpy. Sorry the photo are not as clear. My cheap office camera does not do closeup very well.

Chu...
Old 01-29-03, 07:47 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Chu,

I live in Okinawa and that is pretty much the same climate, and I live on the beach front... I will have to look for that because I have stains from probally rust that ran down the edges of my trunk after our last typhoon. I couldn't find where is was coming from but that is a possibility. Between stray cats laying on my hood and the salt air I am about due for a new paint job.
Old 04-19-08, 07:18 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Chu. I know this thread is over 5 years old, but in the event you're still hanging around CL and getting automatic e-mail notifications, could you tell me whether you ever got this problem resolved, and, if so, how? I have the exact same issue and I'd like to know how to take care of it. Thanks.

e
Old 04-19-08, 07:28 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Chu. I know this thread is over 5 years old, but in the event you're still hanging around CL and getting automatic e-mail notifications, could you tell me whether you ever got this problem resolved, and, if so, how? I have the exact same issue and I'd like to know how to take care of it. Thanks.

e
Wow! This was an very old thread. Dealer replaced the whole rear spoiler under warranty. Still have the same GS and no rust has returned.

Chu...
Old 04-19-08, 07:32 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Wow, that was fast. Thanks.

It's interesting that they replaced the whole spoiler. I would think that just that rectangular strip would need to be replaced. It seems to be the only part on the spoiler that's metal (aside from the mounting brackets that secure the spoiler to the trunk).

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone else has had this problem, please chime in.

e
Old 04-19-08, 08:06 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by e-man
Wow, that was fast. Thanks.

It's interesting that they replaced the whole spoiler. I would think that just that rectangular strip would need to be replaced. It seems to be the only part on the spoiler that's metal (aside from the mounting brackets that secure the spoiler to the trunk).

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone else has had this problem, please chime in.

e
I had the same thought about the metal strip. I was told by the body shop that it is not replaceable as it is part of the rear spoiler. My whole spoiler was replaced under warranty. If it was not I would of have the repair shop sand it down and repaint the piece. How bad is yours?

Chu...
Old 04-19-08, 08:54 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChuH
I had the same thought about the metal strip. I was told by the body shop that it is not replaceable as it is part of the rear spoiler. My whole spoiler was replaced under warranty. If it was not I would of have the repair shop sand it down and repaint the piece. How bad is yours?

Chu...
It's pretty bad (it looks about the same as yours). The only reason I noticed it is because I was getting these rusty water spots on the trunk and rear bumper and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. That was about the time I looked up underneath the spoiler and saw the rusty strip.

Here's the weird thing. When I spray my rear window with water, and the water runs down the trunk and beneath the spoiler where it is bolted to the trunk, the water coming out from the bottom of the base of the spoiler is rusty as it runs down the trunk by the taillights. I'm wondering if the brackets are rusted too. I don't think so, though, because those things look like they are treated with some sort of black coating, and I don't think they'd rust. However, that being said, I don't think that rusty strip on the underside of the spoiler could cause rusty water to run out from under the base of the spoiler. Does that make sense?
Old 04-19-08, 11:54 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

It could be from the exhaust fumes, humidity, and rain..> I dont know...just brainstorming.
Old 04-20-08, 10:16 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's rust alright -____- I had the same problem when I first bought the car. It had rust exactly where you pointed out. The rust is coming from the screws holding down the plate for the LED lighting strip. It's pretty easy to clean, and nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Rust!!! on the OEM rear spoiler