GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Here We Go Again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 06:56 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and what would you suggest i would do if i was alerted to the perpetrator and responded and found individual in the car? Most likely the thief would put up a fight, have a backup individual on standby in case this would happen, or who knows what else.

if they put up a fight, you put one right back up. thieves dont pack guns/knives. even if they did, use the element of suprise. they dont know its your car. just my opinion.

BTW: it helps to know some form of fighting. i am learning my 3rd style.
Old 02-02-03, 07:28 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

So my buddy just moved to Bergen County, NJ, and he needs to get a hood lock for his car. Anyone have any suggestions as to good, honest installers? I've heard so many stories about shady installers that keep a key for themselves, etc., that I'd like to get some word-of-mouth recommendations first! Thanks.
Old 02-02-03, 09:51 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

try the DIY by bananaGS, its pretty easy, im doing it myself soon
maybe tomorrow
Old 02-02-03, 10:11 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
try the DIY by bananaGS, its pretty easy, im doing it myself soon
maybe tomorrow
It's not a GS, it's an accord, actually, so those instructions probably won't help me much. For whatever it's worht, I've been told that it's very difficult to do properly, and having seen a proper install, it's not something I'd like to do myself. You need the "key" mounted on a very sturdy, recessed location. And the hood shouldn't open more than a couple of millimeters when you pull the hood release when it's locked; otherwise, a crowbar can open the hood.

So ... I'll just pay for someone to do it properly; just need to know who can do a good job, and who'll do a hack job around northern jersey.
Old 02-02-03, 10:15 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

if they put up a fight, you put one right back up. thieves dont pack guns/knives. even if they did, use the element of suprise. they dont know its your car. just my opinion.

BTW: it helps to know some form of fighting. i am learning my 3rd style.
Usually, I try not to disagree with anyone on this forum, but I had an acquaintance that was killed when his car was being stolen from his house. His Camaro apparently had a fuel cut-off (which let the car run for a bit) or some mechanism and the car stopped just a few yards away, so when he ran after it, he was shot by the perps. So some do carry guns. I'm not about to risk my life for a car, no matter how nice.

And my Karate sensei once upon a time told me what he would do if someone mugged him and had a gun: "Be very nice and do as he says. Property is not worth dying over." I tend to believe no fighting style is a match for a gun (heck, read your history books about war.)
Old 02-02-03, 11:52 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

depends on distance of gun bro, maybe its just where i live that thieves dont carry guns. partly cause we got alot of cops.

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 02-02-03 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 12:02 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

not a flame or anything, im just curious as to how you open a hood when it only opens a couple of milimeters? i been thinkin about it the last 10 mins cant figure out...
Old 02-03-03, 12:08 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

not a flame or anything, im just curious as to how you open a hood when it only opens a couple of milimeters? i been thinkin about it the last 10 mins cant figure out...
You open your hood when the hood lock is unlocked -- in that case your hood should open and close normally; pull on the hood release latch, and it should pop up, etc.

However, when your hood-lock is engaged, and you pull on the hood release latch, you don't want the hood popping up very much at all -- if the hood open up enough, apparently thieves stick a crowbar in through that gap and just pull up, break the hood lock. I see the results of an attempt at an installer from where I used to live many years ago, and it wasn't a pretty sight.
Old 02-03-03, 03:05 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone wants your car
give it to them! Not worth losing your life over something materialistic
Insurance takes care of that
being a hero only works in the movies

life is to short

be smart

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate problems Gs4fun
Hopefully the rest of the year is good to you!

Erick G
Old 02-03-03, 06:19 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mamamia
BananaGS, do you know any good aftermarket alarm system ? What brand ?
I have a Compustar alarm system. Its a two way system. The remote has a range of 6000 ft through spread spectrum technology. This remote gives you a full readout of your car, including your hood. I have all the features including remote start(comes in handy in the winter and the hot days of summer). Even if you have a working key you can not start my car. I had the Clifford and the remotes didnt last. Its more info here http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html

My shock alarm goes off if a heavy exaust goes past my car. If someone tried to pop the lock I would know. Im not saying you have to go outside and whoop some ***, but at least you know whats going on. I think its worth it.

If you are warned about a intrusion you can get there and get a description for the cops. I know if you knew your car was being broken into you wouldnt have stayed in the doctors office.
Old 02-05-03, 10:28 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

that remote thing is so cool where it tells you whats up with your car. id just hope im with my friends when it happens so we follow him and jump his ***. alot funner than dealing with cops and descriptions etc. plus that remotes good for show, look hella cool
Old 02-06-03, 12:47 PM
lopes03
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry to hear

Sorry to hear about that GS4Fun had the same problem when I first got my GS. Parked on a heavy traffic st on night, they tried poping my locks. I guess they weren't too good at it cause they didn't take anything that I could tell. I went to my cousin and he told me to shave the locks cause it would just probably happen again. So what he basically did was take out the lock weld a metal piece to the back of the door handle and fill in the hole with bondo and paint of it. Came out pretty nice. The only problem with this is that I have to be careful my car battery doesn't die and the battery in the remote doesn't die out on me.
Old 02-06-03, 07:54 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sorry to hear

Originally posted by lopes03
Sorry to hear about that GS4Fun had the same problem when I first got my GS. Parked on a heavy traffic st on night, they tried poping my locks. I guess they weren't too good at it cause they didn't take anything that I could tell. I went to my cousin and he told me to shave the locks cause it would just probably happen again. So what he basically did was take out the lock weld a metal piece to the back of the door handle and fill in the hole with bondo and paint of it. Came out pretty nice. The only problem with this is that I have to be careful my car battery doesn't die and the battery in the remote doesn't die out on me.

I'm wondering if I have ever seen you around? Would be nice to meet another local CL member..
Old 02-06-03, 08:19 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Default Re: Sorry to hear

Originally posted by lopes03
Does your cousin do hoodlocks? I'd like to get one installed!
Old 02-07-03, 10:06 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Manny:

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.

Best of luck in the future.

Ted

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again!