GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 gs430 code p0430

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 09:45 PM
1jaydavey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had these exact codes and all four 02 sensors where changed by the previous owner. i made and 02 spacer with a tappered drill bit and some spark plug foulers found at autozone. cleared the codes and no return yet and its been a few days. my cats where bad for sure. was thinking off either getting the obx headers or a turbo kit from cxracing as the oem replacement is 1k from lexus
Old 01-20-14, 06:15 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1jaydavey
i just had these exact codes and all four 02 sensors where changed by the previous owner. i made and 02 spacer with a tappered drill bit and some spark plug foulers found at autozone. cleared the codes and no return yet and its been a few days. my cats where bad for sure. was thinking off either getting the obx headers or a turbo kit from cxracing as the oem replacement is 1k from lexus
I think the PO430 leans more towards the cats being no good. I think PO125 leans towards something going on within the effectiveness of the o2 sensors. If you've had all 4 o2 sensors replaced and your still getting PO430, might wanna replace pre & post gaskets to the cats and maybe exhaust all around. Confirm there's no air leaks because that will affect o2 readings even if they're all new. It all works together. I'm about to take my car to back to the shop now to get that o2 replaced real quick. I hope everything goes well and that CEL stays off FOR GOOD.

Last edited by aneidiaz; 01-21-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 08:52 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in last few months i spend around $2000 on suspension
im gona change this car for a new (used probably but newer) in a year or two so im not gona spend another 2k for cats
problem is that im gona have to pass inspection this year
Old 01-20-14, 09:10 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicov8
in last few months i spend around $2000 on suspension
im gona change this car for a new (used probably but newer) in a year or two so im not gona spend another 2k for cats
problem is that im gona have to pass inspection this year
Try this to see if it cures the problem at least thru inspection. The cats on our cars are TOUGH. So I'd recommend just buying all pre and post gaskets to the cats off www.sewellparts.com... if your metal around your headers are deteriorating, I'd recommend getting 2 of each gasket to double seal it in any way to avoid ANY air leaks. And get all 4 Denso o2 sensors off eBay, Amazon, Rock Auto, etc. That's way less then 2 new cats, and it's a very good possibility it'll shut off the CEL IF your cats aren't completely destroyed internally.

2k on suspension, wow! What have you done to spend so much??? Please share with us bro! Hope all goes well!!
Old 01-20-14, 10:25 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not take the car to a mechanic who has the tools to diagnose the problem instead of just throwing money at it as people seem to be suggesting? They can measure temps pre and post cats to tell if they're working properly. I have the same code right now, I know I've got a a leak that'll be fixed this spring, hopefully that'll take care of my code.
Old 01-20-14, 10:35 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

i will have to find mechanic that have equipment to check cats and o2 sensors because my mechanic is low tech
i changed upper lower and caster arms plus ball joints 4 struts strats mounts and probably some other stuff plus life time aligment ( had that infamous shake)
Old 01-20-14, 12:28 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I don't know how common that equipment is but it seems like bad advice to start blindly replacing parts that may not be the problem unless you've exhausted all other options. I'd check with a good exhaust shop, they'd probably be able to check the cats.
Old 01-20-14, 10:15 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

The cats on these cars despite heavy mileage and seasonal conditions are very TOUGH. I recently replaced mine and all the surrounding components and after inspecting old cats, aside from rust, the insides were intact. Of course it deteriorates but they're fairly durable.. so I say all that to say this, just replace all gaskets on the exhaust system and all 4 o2 sensors and you will all notice more power and most likely less codes if not any at all. If your cats are still in working condition, those repairs should help tell and it will restore power response. Believe me. And it's less expensive then buying 2 new cats.
Old 01-20-14, 10:33 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
The cats on these cars despite heavy mileage and seasonal conditions are very TOUGH. I recently replaced mine and all the surrounding components and after inspecting old cats, aside from rust, the insides were intact. Of course it deteriorates but they're fairly durable.. so I say all that to say this, just replace all gaskets on the exhaust system and all 4 o2 sensors and you will all notice more power and most likely less codes if not any at all. If your cats are still in working condition, those repairs should help tell and it will restore power response. Believe me. And it's less expensive then buying 2 new cats.
Even if it's cheaper than replacing the cats, why would you spend $300 replacing the o2 sensors and gaskets if you don't know whether or not they're bad?
Old 01-21-14, 10:25 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty

Even if it's cheaper than replacing the cats, why would you spend $300 replacing the o2 sensors and gaskets if you don't know whether or not they're bad?
I'm just tryna help out that's all bro. Seems like everyone wants to clear the codes without spending the $$$.. so my best bet is to seal up all air leaks and get new o2 sensors. Never hurts to know you got all new o2s and no air leaks. If that don't do the job, then the cats are probably going bad. There's nothing else to the exhaust. Replacing one and leaving the other 3 old might do the job. But it won't read evenly on the machine and Eventually the code will return. These cars are sensitive when it comes to emission readings. Best to have all 4 reading evenly IMO. But hey, to each his own. Your car, your say.
Old 01-21-14, 07:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car had a cat problem. The one on the right side was plugged for whatever reason. I noticed a slight lope at idle, and it was a low idle too. I went to the Toyota store and had them run a scan and they confirmed it.

Now I did have a rotten eggs smell too, so that helped me confirm it. If you have to go for cats don't do the Lexus factory ones. That's too expensive at $2K. Mine would have cost about $600 for one, so I just did them both for just under a $1000. Problem solved.
Old 01-22-14, 12:44 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

going to mechanic on saturday
if one cat is 600 how could you do both for under 1000?
Old 01-22-14, 07:57 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

If you went aftermarket on cats, you'll end up buying them again in 2 years or less maybe. The guts in those aftermarket things are terribly cheap made. But I hope it lasts you guys longer. OEM is the way. At least for me it is.
Old 01-22-14, 09:10 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine are Magnaflow's and the shop's had good luck with them - that's why $1K instead of $2K. I didn't buy those cheap online ones if that's what you're talking about.

The shop gave me a bit of break on labor because they had the car up on the hoist anyway so that's why it was better just to do both.

They did have to do a little bit of custom fabrication to make sure they fit exactly but that's what they're known for.

Anyways p***ing around with O2 sensors and going on a goose chase without knowing what's wrong is always a costly exercise I figure..

Last edited by MattyG; 01-22-14 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-22-14, 09:44 AM
jaymil31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re Its not the cats

I just had my gaskets done and all 4 o2 sensors replace. The code is from leaking exhaust.. Mine was at the head (exhaust headgasket) : reason toyota seal exhaust with composite gasket and after many miles they fall apart and you develope a slight leak in exhaust system. Do not change the cats you will end up spending more money later. The toyota cats are tough as they come. I would do new o2 and cats gaskets. I would also change the maf sensor. It is very important.

Quick Reply: 2002 gs430 code p0430