GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need help on o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 09:28 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
If it's a pre-cat O2 sensor that's gone bad, I suppose that could cause fuel efficiency or power loss. If it's a post-cat O2 sensor...all those are there for is to verify that the cat is working....so I don't think you'll notice any difference in fuel economy or power.

I had a post-cat O2 sensor go bad on my car when it was stock and I noticed no power loss (or power gain after fixing it).
I think maybe all 4 brand new is what properly improves fuel consumption. Maybe not by much, but definitely an improvement slightly. I agree about post cat o2s not doing much. But 2 old and 2 new o2s won't work well together, IMO. If someone is gonna change an o2, they might as well change all of them. Piece of mind at the end of the day you know.
Old 01-20-14, 09:45 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I think maybe all 4 brand new is what properly improves fuel consumption. Maybe not by much, but definitely an improvement slightly. I agree about post cat o2s not doing much. But 2 old and 2 new o2s won't work well together, IMO. If someone is gonna change an o2, they might as well change all of them. Piece of mind at the end of the day you know.
If our cars only had two O2 sensors I might be inclined to agree with you. However, we don't. We have four. Replacing all four when only one is known to be bad is quite an expensive endeavor just for peace of mind.

It's not like an O2 sensor is a terribly complex device. It sends voltage between 0v and 1v to the ECU based on oxygen content in the exhaust stream. It's either working or not working. Replacing all four O2 sensors because one goes bad is like replacing all four tires because you got a flat.
Old 01-20-14, 09:55 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2

If our cars only had two O2 sensors I might be inclined to agree with you. However, we don't. We have four. Replacing all four when only one is known to be bad is quite an expensive endeavor just for peace of mind.

It's not like an O2 sensor is a terribly complex device. It sends voltage between 0v and 1v to the ECU based on oxygen content in the exhaust stream. It's either working or not working. Replacing all four O2 sensors because one goes bad is like replacing all four tires because you got a flat.
Great point bro. Your absolutely right. I guess I just said that way because I've been recently dealing with this o2 problem. That's what I did. But I had to cuz 2 were shot, and the other 2 were reading terribly low. I changed out everything hoping I won't hear from the exhaust for a few years. Car is currently in the shop cuz a defective B1 S1 o2 I bought. But the other 3 are good. Your right tho bro. I just recommend that to anyone that doesn't mind spending the extra dollars.