GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need help on o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 05:04 PM
chico55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on o2 sensor

Hi all CL members...I jave a 2000 white gs 300 and have questions on o2 sensors. When they break or needs to b changed...does car loss power?

Does it make car waste more gas?

If not changed does it have poor acceleration?

Any info will b helpful.

thanks in advance...
Old 01-15-14, 05:08 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If any of the O2 sensors break, the check engine light will come on and the code given will show which one needs attention. Until then don't worry about it.
Old 01-15-14, 05:29 PM
chico55
Rookie

Ok..thanks for info. I do have check engine light on. I havent changed o2 for a long time..
Old 01-15-14, 05:33 PM
chico55
Rookie

Also just want to noe wat does the o2 sensor affect on car if I dnt change it..
Old 01-15-14, 06:00 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad oxygen sensor can have performance issues with an engine. Symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor may include decreased mileage and efficiency, a shaky start up, and it may also cause the check engine light to show. An oxygen sensor can easily be replaced in the backyard if needed.

Courtesy of ask.com
Old 01-15-14, 06:06 PM
chico55
Rookie

Ty for the info..ill change the o2 sensor wen I get chance..I go to Lex auto down here in miami Fl..specialized in lexus and Toyota. ..better prices than stealership..lol
Old 01-15-14, 08:16 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Sure you don't want to change it your self, I saved a whole bunch of money D.I.Y. One sensor cost me 50 bucks and a Saturday Morning, that's a price I can live with other than a 300 dollar bill from any shop

GL with whatever you do bro
Old 01-15-14, 10:38 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

dont take to your car to the stealer! its a really easy job to do. just replaced all 4 o2 sensors in less than an hour. make sure to spray all o2s with PB blaster or WD-40 few hours prior to loosen them up.
Old 01-15-14, 10:42 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by islexusred
make sure to spray all o2s with PB blaster or WD-40 few hours prior to loosen them up.
most important thing to making this job painless.
Old 01-16-14, 09:35 PM
chico55
Rookie

Ty for all 8nfo..Idk how to change them..but soon im taking it to shop..I want to feel the difference wen I change it.
Old 01-16-14, 11:41 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shboni
A bad oxygen sensor can have performance issues with an engine. Symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor may include decreased mileage and efficiency, a shaky start up, and it may also cause the check engine light to show. An oxygen sensor can easily be replaced in the backyard if needed.

Courtesy of ask.com
I've heard it could also f'up your cats.
I have yet another O2 sensor broken. Bank 2 sensor 1 so it's the drivers side precat sensor.
Last one was bank 1 sensor 1 and it was a PIA to change 'cause it was so stuck.
Old 01-17-14, 05:25 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

There are literally hundreds of possible reasons for the car to show a Check Engine Light. The O2 sensor is one of them, but there are LOTS more.

There is no point in trying to diagnose what the problem is with your car until you know the code. The good news is that you can get it read for free:

http://aamco.com/Check_Engine_light_on-FREE_Check.asp

Lots of local shops will read a code for free also. Get it read, then post the code. Then we can actually help you.
Old 01-19-14, 09:50 PM
1jaydavey
Driver School Candidate

the 02 sensor can give you poor mileage and some slight hesitation as the ecu trys to compensate for the different readings of the two sesnors. but my honest opinion is you have a clogged cat. if an o2 is normally bad it will throw a few codes.
Old 01-20-14, 09:03 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently replaced both my cats, all 4 o2 sensors, gaskets, etc. After I got the job done, the CEL turned back on. Apparently my B1 S1 o2 sensor was defective from the factory. Took it back this morning to get it replaced. I noticed that before I changed my o2s, I wasted way more gas. I noticed the change in fuel consumption after even with only 3 o2s working properly. If your gonna change out all 4 bro, I'd recommend ordering the gaskets to before & after the cats OEM off www.sewellparts.com.. just incase you got any air leaks, that'll refresh the cats up. It's all right around there same area if they're taking out all 4 sensors. I have a GS430 but I believe they're similar in ways. If you have even a SLIGHT air leak, your not feeling the car's full power my bro. After I replaced my gaskets, man what a difference in response from the engine! Good luck bro! Hope all is resolved!

P.S. Please post your code your getting from your CEL. So we can all give you better advice on what we might think it is. Just to be on the safe side! Mine were PO430 before I changed everything out but after with the defective o2 sensor, only code PO125 came out.
Old 01-20-14, 09:23 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

If it's a pre-cat O2 sensor that's gone bad, I suppose that could cause fuel efficiency or power loss. If it's a post-cat O2 sensor...all those are there for is to verify that the cat is working....so I don't think you'll notice any difference in fuel economy or power.

I had a post-cat O2 sensor go bad on my car when it was stock and I noticed no power loss (or power gain after fixing it).

Quick Reply: I need help on o2 sensor