GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 11:19 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds like everything checks out
Old 02-06-15, 09:30 PM
AL98GS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi CL new guy here.

About 2 months ago I rescued a 1998 GS400 from an abusive kid owner. Im about to start the process of trying to restore it to a better condition. I haven't really tried to upgrade anything yet. I have been reading threads on here and working on standard issues. Otter tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, alignment and new tires. I'm doing ignition stuff before I install my K&N intake I've ordered. Next is figuring out the no speedometer, odometer and VSC VSC on/off light.Then, I think I'll do the Supra TT front brake upgrade and an exhaust. I like a clean sleeper look so I've got a lot of work on this car but for $2,000 I figured it was worth the project. Runs like a champ. It's just been neglected on TLC. It had overheating issues but it was just a relay and the pins worn out to one of the cooling fans I bent to make a better connection.

Green outer color, tan leather interior, stock stereo is original except a new touch screen head unit was installed and 20" rims with new 245/35R20 tires. They had 3 different tire sizes on when i got it and 3 different brands That's about it for the moment.

I've used forums for years to network and rebuild my old 95 GST Eclipse and 98 Honda 2.3L Accord. Use to digging around and trying to find the faq or info I need before I ask ?s. Not many pictures yet. I've been sick and it's too cold to wash it and take pictures. I'm finally going to do before pictures tomorrow since it will be about 60 degrees.

Sorry for the spam but just saying wuz up! Loving my new fun Lexus though. Pictures is a screenshot from the ad the day I purchased it.

Last edited by AL98GS400; 02-06-15 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 05:03 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Welcome to the forums... not bad for 2k...
Old 02-09-15, 05:00 AM
erikalol
Driver School Candidate

Default Hello from FL :)

Hi! Picked my 2002 GS300 up in WA last summer and drove it to FL with my 2 pets for a move. Plan on relocating back to the PNW this spring. Was in excellent condition when I first picked it up... now... lol not so much anymore. :\

1. Exterior Color - Several different shades of white
2. Interior color - Tan
3. Major Options or special packages (Sport Design, etc) -
4. Audio Options (Nakamich/Mark Levinson or Pioneer) -
5. Any modifications - PBM coilovers, Wed Bazreia wheels, toe arms, fender work, lil bit of paint work. Considering switching to bags in a few months, once I catch up with all of my research on this site.
6. Anything you want to mention (others considered, previous Lex owner, etc)
7. If you are INTERNATIONAL, state which city/country your representing! - Northern FL
8. Post pics or links to your car (you can upload pics in our gallery)

Old 02-09-15, 05:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

welcome to the forums Erika looks pretty clean to me... Nice drop....
Old 02-13-15, 04:41 AM
lashawndra
Driver School Candidate

Smile Gs 300&400 owner

Originally Posted by Welcome to CL
Members,

When you get your Second Gen GS, please introduce yourself and your vehicle here!

Tell us some details about your new Lexus including whether its a GS300 / 400 / 430 and;

1. Exterior Color
2. Interior color choice
3. Major Options or special packages (Sport Design, etc)
4. Audio Options (Nakamich/Mark Levinson or Pioneer)
5. Any modifications
6. Anything you want to mention (others considered, previous Lex owner, etc)
7. If you are INTERNATIONAL, state which city/country your representing!
8. Post pics or links to your car (you can upload pics in our gallery)

and congratulations from Club Lexus!

Both custom color's of green
I own a Lexus gs 300 Lexus gs 400
I'm in South Carolina
both have 22inch rims
love any of the gs models and I'm currently modifying both will post pics of new interior and audio

GS 300

GS 400
Old 02-13-15, 07:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Welcome to the forums.... 2 GS's... nice....
Old 02-14-15, 10:05 PM
wiredog89
Driver School Candidate

Default Almost a new 1998 GS400 New Owner

I'm on the verge of purchasing a used 1998 GS400 it only has 75,238 miles. Color is a Cinabar Pearl with black leather interior. My wife and I were looking for a German Car 2003 BWW 530/545 or 2005 Audi A8L when we ran across this one. When I say almost it is because our purchase is contingent on my mechanic giving it a clean bill of health on a pre-sale inspection.

Carfax shows only one owner and from what I can see he drove it anywhere from 1000 - 5000 miles a year and at times max 10000 miles some years hence the low milage.

She runs very nice and only issues I have been able to discern so far are-
  • the exterior paint as you can see from the pictures
  • the chrome finish on the rims are chipping and pealing
  • the screen of the radio is no longer legible and
  • a non functioning cigarette lighter

Based on the VIN: JT8BH68XXW0005610
Can I get opinions or comments on whether this is a good deal at $6,000 out the door (Taxes License, Registration all included)
Also what types of repairs or issues should I expect at this mileage and age.
What's a decent typical paint job cost?

The car doesn't come with a lot of gimmicks just feels like a well built car. My plan is to use it to drive from home to work which is about a 66 mile round trip.
I'm still digesting what everyone's posting here but what I can read on this forum these cars if well cared for outdo ANY German car!

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-15, 07:23 PM
BeemDog
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 GS300 Work In Progress

1) Black Exterior w/ jacked up cleaer coat; will try to get in color buffed once I complete the more serious repairs
2) Interior nice Grey Leather/Stock
3) Fiance's car... my weekend project.
4) Replacing Engine Wire Harness... which is a Huge PITA
5) Got the Throttle Body and All Intake off, need to lower the Tranny to get to the rest of the wire connectors.
6) Once I get started putting it all back together - I want to use some aftermarket upgrades.

IF ANYBODY HAS ADVICE ON INTAKE COMPONENTS THAT ARE EASIER TO INSTALL & WILL PROVIDE PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENTS - PLEASE CHIME IN!

BEEMDOG
Old 02-15-15, 09:49 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Hi guys! i sold my old lexus SC400 so I just bought my new baby 2001 LEXUS Gs300 171k mile for 3,000 only loll

anyway it come missing light interior, minor front end need work but not big deal lol.

the driver side mirrior was glue to hold up without shake while driving lol WTH... i clean it up and it good now!

It's come with tein lowerspring that would be cool but not much as drop.

Exterior: black cherry pearl with OEM BLACK INTERIOR

That day i was pick her up.

I cant waiting put air suspension and slap some legit wheels!
Old 02-17-15, 09:23 AM
clintdaddy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sup guys,

Clint from Vancouver, Canada here!

Just picked up a 1999 Alpine Silver Metallic GS400!

She is a gem! 205xxx km (126xxx miles for our US friends) without a single claim in its lifespan! The previous owner was an older gentleman who had the car for the first 15 years of its life before trading her in to a local Toyota dealer for a new FRS.

Interior is immaculate and the leather does not have any tears or many stress marks at that!

I came from an 06 Rio Yellow Pearl S2000 so this is quite a different animal!
Here are some pics!

Had to sell the S2 due to personal reasons; the car was paid off.

The community here seems very friendly, much like S2Ki and I hope to see you guys at a meet sometime!

-Clint
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img-20150215-wa0020.jpeg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img-20150215-wa0024.jpeg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img-20150215-wa0022.jpeg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-278046_10151066260576043_1282875876_o.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5299_2.jpg  

Old 02-17-15, 11:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

welcome to the forum Clint. clean GS for sure
Old 02-17-15, 05:59 PM
krdp2GS
Rookie

Kalen from Nebraska here! Just joined a few minutes ago after lurking for a while.
I'm the proud second owner of a 2004 GS300 after searching for a good condition, low mile one for a few months. I've now had it for just over a year.

1. Exterior Color - White, wouldn't wish for any other color!
2. Interior color choice - Tan, wish it was black.
3. Major Options or special packages (Sport Design, etc) - None
4. Audio Options (Nakamich/Mark Levinson or Pioneer) - Stock stereo with JL 10" sub
5. Any modifications - Stock for now, saving for air ride at the moment.
6. Anything you want to mention - After being in the Honda game for a while, running no power steering or A/C... my GS seemed like a spaceship for the first few months! I love it.

After lurking for some time I've finally decided to make an account! My car was hit at work today and my passenger mirror got broken - no one has fessed up yet and no note/insurance card was left on my car. Figured this would be a great place to start looking for a replacement mirror!

Here's my 2GS, all stock for now. Hoping to begin dumping money into it this spring and summer!
Old 02-21-15, 10:14 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

Originally Posted by krdp2GS
Kalen from Nebraska here! Just joined a few minutes ago after lurking for a while.
I'm the proud second owner of a 2004 GS300 after searching for a good condition, low mile one for a few months. I've now had it for just over a year.

1. Exterior Color - White, wouldn't wish for any other color!
2. Interior color choice - Tan, wish it was black.
3. Major Options or special packages (Sport Design, etc) - None
4. Audio Options (Nakamich/Mark Levinson or Pioneer) - Stock stereo with JL 10" sub
5. Any modifications - Stock for now, saving for air ride at the moment.
6. Anything you want to mention - After being in the Honda game for a while, running no power steering or A/C... my GS seemed like a spaceship for the first few months! I love it.

After lurking for some time I've finally decided to make an account! My car was hit at work today and my passenger mirror got broken - no one has fessed up yet and no note/insurance card was left on my car. Figured this would be a great place to start looking for a replacement mirror!

Here's my 2GS, all stock for now. Hoping to begin dumping money into it this spring and summer!
love the 2GS in white!
Old 02-24-15, 04:49 PM
jlazu05
Driver School Candidate

Default New member from jersey!

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum my names Jeffrey and am a huge car enthusiast I owned mainly toyota and now have my first lexus and I love it. It's a 2001 gs300 gold exterior with tan interior , I don't have the platinum edition with heated seats but I feel as if I have everything else. I've looked through some of post and learn quite a bit about my car so far . I'm looking forward to getting to know people and maintaining an active member

First mod so far is d2 coilovers that I ordered and going to pickup tomorrow

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE