GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 10:30 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi guys & girls,

New member here and first time Lexus owner.
Bought the Lexus to have a hassle free daily driver. It's a 2004 143k miles GS300 with full service history
Been driving it for a month now and loving it.

1. Exterior Color: 8P8 Blue Onyx Pearl
2. Interior color: Ivory
3. Supposedly the 'Executive' version but I haven't found yet what that's about...
4. Mark Levinson audio & navigation
5. No modifications from stock other than aftermarket rear parking sensor and a towing hook
6. Anything you want to mention: First car I bought in a long time that didn't need any kind of work. To satisfy my need I replaced the serpentine belt.
7. If you are INTERNATIONAL: I live in the Netherlands.
8. See below

It still had the original navigation DVD (from 2002); fairly useless. It was then that I found out that the maps are no longer updated. To combat this I managed to find a navigation module from a Prius with more recent maps. Plug and play solution.
Some investigating went into this because it took me almost a day searching to find that the numbers / systems are not compatible between US, European and other regions.
Google translate of a russian site delivered the correct numbers for my car.
Great fun.
No real eye-candy yet. Pic below is of car at place where I bought it.

Cheers,
Johan
Old 01-27-17, 11:01 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanH
Hi guys & girls,

New member here and first time Lexus owner.
Bought the Lexus to have a hassle free daily driver. It's a 2004 143k miles GS300 with full service history
Been driving it for a month now and loving it.

1. Exterior Color: 8P8 Blue Onyx Pearl
2. Interior color: Ivory
3. Supposedly the 'Executive' version but I haven't found yet what that's about...
4. Mark Levinson audio & navigation
5. No modifications from stock other than aftermarket rear parking sensor and a towing hook
6. Anything you want to mention: First car I bought in a long time that didn't need any kind of work. To satisfy my need I replaced the serpentine belt.
7. If you are INTERNATIONAL: I live in the Netherlands.
8. See below

It still had the original navigation DVD (from 2002); fairly useless. It was then that I found out that the maps are no longer updated. To combat this I managed to find a navigation module from a Prius with more recent maps. Plug and play solution.
Some investigating went into this because it took me almost a day searching to find that the numbers / systems are not compatible between US, European and other regions.
Google translate of a russian site delivered the correct numbers for my car.
Great fun.
No real eye-candy yet. Pic below is of car at place where I bought it.

Cheers,
Johan
Welcome to the family! Congrats
The following users liked this post:
JohanH (01-27-17)
Old 01-29-17, 07:35 AM
Cbb129
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 gs300

Hi everyone, I'm Chris and I just picked up a '99 GS300 with 112k on the clock for $3500.00. Guy I bought it from babied it and did brakes, tires, front steering knuckles and more. So far I really like it. Sorry pics are sideways, Iphone pics and didn't have time to rotate.
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5509-1-.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5508-1-.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5507-1-.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5506-1-.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-img_5505-1-.jpg  

Old 01-30-17, 10:13 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cbb129
Hi everyone, I'm Chris and I just picked up a '99 GS300 with 112k on the clock for $3500.00. Guy I bought it from babied it and did brakes, tires, front steering knuckles and more. So far I really like it. Sorry pics are sideways, Iphone pics and didn't have time to rotate.
Damn thats a steal! Looks really clean. Feel free to do PM me with any mod questions.
Old 02-02-17, 08:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbb129
Sorry pics are sideways, Iphone pics and didn't have time to rotate.
takes about as long to rotate them as it does to post that
Old 02-10-17, 10:03 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sakataj
takes about as long to rotate them as it does to post that
Haha I feel you

LOL

Last edited by Need4Speed; 02-14-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-12-17, 08:01 PM
MrSloppy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Here, just picked up this 2002 Lexus GS430 177,500 miles
exterior-Black
interior-Tan
Unsure of the model, has wood grain steering wheel, navigation, the speakers suck, and needs paint...
Has custom tune, and cat back exhaust w/ 3" tips, stock other wise
been driving it for a few weeks now and it drives good, needs a few front end pars for it to be perfect.
Needed a new Daily Driver as I'm about to drive a lot farther for work everyday. Picked the car up for 5500.

Name:  B978CAD7-6CB6-484A-B3C0-94F49EB136A0_zpsgetai8ul.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  109.8 KB

Last edited by MrSloppy; 02-12-17 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 05:23 PM
Jsgs3
Driver School Candidate

Default new gs300 2jzgte

hey everyone so like title says im new to lexus sold my wrx to buy the gs300 got it for 3500 117xxx from idaho has weird issue hopefully some one can help with car runs good everynow and then if i get into it hard from a stop or low gear i have very little low end power throws check light scan tool just says no communication with ecu its an aristo 2jzgte vvti auto trans and also no cruise after 65?
front mount 3 inch dp and exhaust

Last edited by Jsgs3; 02-13-17 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added details and pics
Old 02-14-17, 10:13 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrSloppy
New Here, just picked up this 2002 Lexus GS430 177,500 miles
exterior-Black
interior-Tan
Unsure of the model, has wood grain steering wheel, navigation, the speakers suck, and needs paint...
Has custom tune, and cat back exhaust w/ 3" tips, stock other wise
been driving it for a few weeks now and it drives good, needs a few front end pars for it to be perfect.
Needed a new Daily Driver as I'm about to drive a lot farther for work everyday. Picked the car up for 5500.

Congrats!!! Feel free to PM if you ever have any mod questions.
MrSloppy (02-14-17)
Old 02-16-17, 08:52 PM
corsa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Introduction - why I joined

Yesterday I had the cash in hand (just $3850) and just missed my chance to buy my dream Lexus. A 2003 300 GS DesignSport, beautiful black exterior and saddle interior. Virtually perfect with 171,000 miles. On my way to buy the car, about a 2.5 hour trip, I received a text that she sold the car. Heartbroken, but I understand, 1st come , first serve. It was exactly the options and colors I wanted. I hope it not just another car for the new owner.

So the reason I'm here, is I'm shopping again for my dream car.

When I lived in California, I last worked at Calty (California Toyota) Design in Newport Beach. For those that don't know, that is Toyota's west coast design studio for Toyota and Lexus exteriors and interiors. At the time, the studio still had only two cars chosen for production; the Lexus SC 300 and the Previa minivan. They were a great group of designers, no engineering studies or engineers at this facility. I was involved with facilities management, but the designers welcomed my input, especially the lead designer of the sport coupe. He was quite the hod rodder as a kid.

Scale size and full size clay models were built and evaluated at this location. There we only about 60 employees at full staff and we knew each other well. For many it may be old hat, but the Christmas party on a yacht around Newport bay was VERY memorable.

Again, my 1st goal on this site is to find my black with saddle interior 2003 GS 300

Thanks,
Tony Hansen
ThomasGS4 (02-18-17)
Old 02-17-17, 04:31 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corsa
Yesterday I had the cash in hand (just $3850) and just missed my chance to buy my dream Lexus. A 2003 300 GS DesignSport, beautiful black exterior and saddle interior. Virtually perfect with 171,000 miles. On my way to buy the car, about a 2.5 hour trip, I received a text that she sold the car. Heartbroken, but I understand, 1st come , first serve. It was exactly the options and colors I wanted. I hope it not just another car for the new owner.

S

When I lived in California, I last worked at Calty (California Toyota) Design in Newport Beach. For those that don't know, that is Toyota's west coast design studio for Toyota and Lexus exteriors and interiors. At the time, the studio still had only two cars chosen for production; the Lexus SC 300 and the Previa minivan. They were a great group of designers, no engineering studies or engineers at this facility. I was involved with facilities management, but the designers welcomed my input, especially the lead designer of the sport coupe. He was quite the hod rodder as a kid.

Scale size and full size clay models were built and evaluated at this location. There we only about 60 employees at full staff and we knew each other well. For many it may be old hat, but the Christmas party on a yacht around Newport bay was VERY memorable.

Again, my 1st goal on this site is to find my black with saddle interior 2003 GS 300

Thanks,
Tony Hansen
Sorry you missed it Tony. My wife drives a black with saddle interior SC430. Great combination!
Old 02-17-17, 09:18 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by corsa

Thanks,
Tony Hansen
Tony,

Thats a bummer. Hope you find the GS that you're looking for.
Old 02-17-17, 08:29 PM
linuxcrysp
Driver School Candidate

Default Introduction

What's good gang,

Just checking in to introduce myself to the club. I drive a '02 GS300; very proud to be a Lexus owner. Thank you all for having me!
Old 02-19-17, 02:50 PM
GS400MDZ
Driver School Candidate

Default Correct drivetrain configuration.

Hello all!
Despite having owned new 1960s & 70s Toyota FJ40s & FJ55s, way back in the day, this is my first Lexus, and I admit that this car found me, I was not looking for it.

Note: Transverse engined, front wheel drive cars, especially with a slush-box (auto trans) don't do anything for me.
I've owned and driven primarily extensively modified, big cubic inch V8 stick shift rear drive American cars (and trucks) for over 50 yrs now, and the most recent foreign car to catch my attention was an eye-opening, traction envelope pushing test drive in the new Mazda MX5. (Miata) The salesman & I were having so much fun, that he didn't even complain that my two hour thrashing probably scrubbed off more than half the tire tread life!!

This 2000 GS400 (silver) with 171K needs only a few things, L/F upper BJ, L/R lower link bush, L/diff seal, dodgy starter, but overall I see what y'all love about this particular model.
I owned and drove this GS400 for three months before I discovered the in-dash compact cassette deck, and then two months later the 6-disc magazine Multi-CD-player that was cleverly hidden inside the glove box.
I record cassettes on a restored Nakamichi CR-7a or a mint UK model Technics AZ-7 in the house, and the NOS Maxell XLII & TDK SA-XS cassettes sound surprisingly good when played back in the stock Pioneer/Lexus sound system!

The only investment I've made thus far has been to procure a complete set of original Factory Service Manuals.
Sadly, Lexus service parts says that a "new in box" OEM starter unit is no longer available!

I shopped around for a good group of knowledeable enthusiasts to help make owning this car a better experience, and chose this forum as best! ... I'm glad to be a new contributing member over here!

Cheers...

Last edited by GS400MDZ; 02-21-17 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-20-17, 09:58 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by linuxcrysp
What's good gang,

Just checking in to introduce myself to the club. I drive a '02 GS300; very proud to be a Lexus owner. Thank you all for having me!
Thank you for being part of the club!!!! Feel free to PM if you ever have any mod questions.

We ship worldwide

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE