GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2003 GS300 Sport Design over heating !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 06:22 PM
trickz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 GS300 Sport Design over heating !!

problem fixed

Last edited by trickz; 06-08-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 07:07 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need a little more information. It could be the thermostat or the water pump or a hose or the heater core. When was the last time these were replaced? When you put the water in it could you see it churning in the radiator? Notice any leaks on or near the radiator or the hoses? Any leaks (puddles) where you park? Do you smell coolant in the car? Leaking coolant from the passenger side may be a heater core issue.
Old 03-02-14, 07:20 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
We need a little more information. It could be the thermostat or the water pump or a hose or the heater core. When was the last time these were replaced? When you put the water in it could you see it churning in the radiator? Notice any leaks on or near the radiator or the hoses? Any leaks (puddles) where you park? Do you smell coolant in the car? Leaking coolant from the passenger side may be a heater core issue.
i dont know what was replaced before my purchase i had it for 5k miles on it already since i bought it.
the coolant was gone dont know where it went, if its the thermostat then the coolant should still be in the system. right?
also i filled it to the top with water with the car not on and no bubbling, the over flow tank was also empty. so filled it with water as well.
the orange coolant is on the passenger side on the plastic but doesnt look like its coming from any where close from the heater core, it looks more towards the front.

but when driving on highway it got hot and then cool and then hot, while it was on heat all of a sudden the heat just dropped to cool if felt like it made a noise of basically getting weak and then went hot again..
Old 03-02-14, 08:09 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't say how many miles were on it. It was due a major service that included the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, etc., at 90k miles. The lower radiator hose is on the passenger side of the front of the engine. As are the thermostat housing, and the water bypass pipe and a part of the water pump that you can see; all of which may leak, especially if the engine overheats.

Heat is a real enemy of the 2jz engine. You really want to find out what the problem is before you cause some really serious damage. If you are not a member of Lexus USA, I would join them. You can do it on line. More importantly, you can see all the Lexus provided service that has been done on the vehicle. That will give you some history. You may be able to get some useful information from CarFax.

In the interim, crank the car. Turn your heater on high. Fill the radiator (through the radiator, not the overflow bottle) with distilled water. Let it run for several minutes. If (when) the thermostat opens up, you should see the water/coolant "churning" or flowing in the radiator. If the water level drops fill it to full. If after 10 or 15 minutes you do not see the water churn, it may be the thermostat or the WP. Be on the lookout for other leaks from other places near the front left of the engine just above the alternator.

Assuming that nothing has been done, I would suggest that you have the timing belt, seals, etc, replaced. If it's your WP that's bad, then you will need to go through all that stuff to get to it anyway.
Old 03-06-14, 07:23 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Didn't say how many miles were on it. It was due a major service that included the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, etc., at 90k miles. The lower radiator hose is on the passenger side of the front of the engine. As are the thermostat housing, and the water bypass pipe and a part of the water pump that you can see; all of which may leak, especially if the engine overheats.

Heat is a real enemy of the 2jz engine. You really want to find out what the problem is before you cause some really serious damage. If you are not a member of Lexus USA, I would join them. You can do it on line. More importantly, you can see all the Lexus provided service that has been done on the vehicle. That will give you some history. You may be able to get some useful information from CarFax.

In the interim, crank the car. Turn your heater on high. Fill the radiator (through the radiator, not the overflow bottle) with distilled water. Let it run for several minutes. If (when) the thermostat opens up, you should see the water/coolant "churning" or flowing in the radiator. If the water level drops fill it to full. If after 10 or 15 minutes you do not see the water churn, it may be the thermostat or the WP. Be on the lookout for other leaks from other places near the front left of the engine just above the alternator.

Assuming that nothing has been done, I would suggest that you have the timing belt, seals, etc, replaced. If it's your WP that's bad, then you will need to go through all that stuff to get to it anyway.
problem fixed. the waterpump was leaking so i replaced new water pump, timing belt and thermostat and flush the cooling system for $711 using oem lexus parts
Old 03-06-14, 08:04 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Did you do it yourself or did you bring it to a shop?
Old 03-07-14, 08:33 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Would've replaced hoses as well....
Old 03-07-14, 08:42 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I had to replace my radiator a few days later because it couldn't handle to "new" pressure of the new parts after I did the 90k service.