GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying GS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 03:28 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i mean it is slow off the line, but it has more than enough.
as long as i can jam 90 all grapevine and not have the engine struggle, i'm good.
Old 03-06-14, 04:39 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offbad
well, i mean it is slow off the line, but it has more than enough.
as long as i can jam 90 all grapevine and not have the engine struggle, i'm good.
Good description. It won't through you back in your seat off the line, but it will smoothly cruise at 90 all day long :-)
Old 03-06-14, 06:48 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

Thanks for all the comments guys!!! I appreciate all the insight. My style is laid back. I am not going to race, just cruise. I do, however, like to look good. That brings me to a conundrum... in my search I ran into a 2002 ES300 with 166k for $5500. I know its apples and oranges. Sports sedan versus ho-hum suburban runner. That said, its a one owner with a religious documented maintenance every 5k at a Lexus dealer. At the end of the day, I am looking for somethig reliable that will get me from A-B with few issues. Damn, this is hard!!!
Old 03-06-14, 06:49 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsbs300
As others have said barsitar that car is overpriced regardless of where you are.

A couple words of advice.

Obviously your not getting a GS cause you want a fast car,so if I were you I'd decide this first.Do I want a gs3 gs4 or gs4.3. None are "fast" but the sluggishness of the gs3 is REAL.GS4 is probably the best choice because it's torquey and gas mileage isn't compromised,and it's not over priced like every gs4.3

Now as far as interior take it from someone with both tan and black interior cars.YOU WANT BLACK INTERIOR.

Take your time and good luck with the search.factor ball joints timing belt,AC servos,trans oil,motor oil,and the most common leaks,valve cover gasket ect.
lol ??? Do not listen to this guy. Test drive the car and feel out whether or not YOU like it. Everyone is looking for something different in a car. This is a luxury car, its beautiful and classy. Definitely not "sluggish" thats for sure. And also, interior design is completely about YOUR taste. I have the ivory interior which is a mix of beige and grey with nice rosewood and I personally would not want the black interior. So its all a matter of personal preference. But as we have all mentioned, the car is a bit over priced and will need a little bit of money put into. I'd offer $4,000 and try meeting somewhere in the middle.
Old 03-06-14, 07:12 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bartsitars
Thanks for all the comments guys!!! I appreciate all the insight. My style is laid back. I am not going to race, just cruise. I do, however, like to look good. That brings me to a conundrum... in my search I ran into a 2002 ES300 with 166k for $5500. I know its apples and oranges. Sports sedan versus ho-hum suburban runner. That said, its a one owner with a religious documented maintenance every 5k at a Lexus dealer. At the end of the day, I am looking for somethig reliable that will get me from A-B with few issues. Damn, this is hard!!!
if you prefer a luxurious, problem-free camry, the ES is your choice.

i had this problem too until i realized there was no toyota equivalent to the GS
Old 03-06-14, 07:25 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutkis
With stock exhaust you barely notice the car is running so it's the same if it's V6 or V8.
2JZ is an inline 6.
Old 03-06-14, 07:45 PM
GsLexx
Rookie

Man go with the GS over the ES. The 02 Es has to be the ugliest model they made. If you want something that looks good and is reliable the GS is your best bet. The inline 6 cylinder is legendary on these cars. And as OFFBAD stated above...the ES is just a camry, the GS stands out on the road. My buddy bought a 2003 ES after I bought my GS and he regrets it ever since. Dont get me wrong the ES is a good car, still a Lexus. But considering you are looking at the same price basically and similar Mileage.....go with the GS!!!

P.S. my car before my 2002 GS300 was a 1993 ES300. Im sold on the GS and would never go back or even want an IS
Old 03-06-14, 08:24 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by GsLexx
lol ??? Do not listen to this guy. Test drive the car and feel out whether or not YOU like it. Everyone is looking for something different in a car. This is a luxury car, its beautiful and classy. Definitely not "sluggish" thats for sure. And also, interior design is completely about YOUR taste. I have the ivory interior which is a mix of beige and grey with nice rosewood and I personally would not want the black interior. So its all a matter of personal preference. But as we have all mentioned, the car is a bit over priced and will need a little bit of money put into. I'd offer $4,000 and try meeting somewhere in the middle.
I agree the car is beautiful and very luxurious. the gs3 is clearly underpowered around town but decent on the highway (which is 90% of where mine get driven) and that's not arguable,now as far as a gs4 or gs4.3 that's a different animal.im not ragging on the gs3 I have two currently and two in the past but numbers don't lie.but again I didn't buy them to be "fast".i have a tt z for that.
Old 03-06-14, 08:27 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by egs21
The GS300 is not "sluggish". It more than powerful enough for all driving situations. Sure, its not going to run with Mustangs in drag races, but that isn't what the car was designed for. Using the word "sluggish" is highly inaccurate.
I respectfully disagree.gs4 is night and day difference.
Old 03-06-14, 09:40 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally I've never driven an es300 but I think those models the 02-05 or whatever look pretty good if they're clean people always say they're just camrys but they stand out more, they look like a luxury car IMO, and they have nice interiors but the inteteriors remind me of a grandma car
Old 03-06-14, 09:45 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Personally I've never driven an es300 but I think those models the 02-05 or whatever look pretty good if they're clean people always say they're just camrys but they stand out more, they look like a luxury car IMO, and they have nice interiors but the inteteriors remind me of a grandma car
if i recall correctly from when i was deciding on a purchase, the ES offered maybe 20 more HP and other luxury Lexus amenities against the camry

the ES though has much less character and soul vs the GS, in my opinion.
Old 03-06-14, 11:13 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
2JZ is an inline 6.
My mistake. Well atleast the newer model is V6.
Old 03-07-14, 04:02 AM
GsLexx
Rookie

The ES is the ultimate grandma car. Especially that year. At least the new ones have a more sporty front design and the headlights look mean. That 02 model is just so boring with the change they made in all the lights and how the design stepped away from the somewhat sportier look in the pre 2000 models. Like I said my boy bought an ES 3 weeks after my GS and he regrets it ever since. He is a 25 year old and he constantly says he hates that his car looks like an old persons car. But hey tint that biotch out and throw some rims on it and I bet it would still look pretty sick. And its a lexus so it will last forever.I still vote GS!
Old 03-07-14, 05:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Black interior is worth a premium as it's far less common than the grey/beige interiors and doesn't tend to look as dated.

Here in Dallas that $6k price tag would be a good deal. But we don't have rust to contend with.

I'd go in offering $5k firm.
I agree. $6k honestly isn't all that bad for a 2002.

Compared to a GS400/430, the GS300 is sluggish from every angle.
Old 03-07-14, 10:36 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Compared to a GS400/430, the GS300 is sluggish from every angle.
That's a very easy fix But I won't go into how the 300 is a better performance platform than the 400/430 since the OP already stated he's not interested in that.

Seriously, though. I **am** a power guy and I didn't mind my 300 when it was stock. Maybe because I always had a second fun/fast car to scratch that itch. Now that my 300 has a snail, I wonder why it wasn't an option from the factory on the 2GS.

And for people who say the 2GS wasn't marketed as a fast car....don't forget about the whole "Something wicked this way comes" campaign showing the cars on a racetrack. This IS Lexus' performance sedan from the '90s and early '00s. It was absolutely intended to be seen as a fast car. When the 400 came out it was the fastest production sedan in the world.

It's really the best of both worlds. And the fact that you can get a clean one for $5k-$6k these days is almost mind boggling.

Quick Reply: Buying GS300