GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mileage Check: Is 60k miles high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 08:51 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Arty101
Even though the dealer and Lexus advertises that their CPO cars go through a rigid inspection (129 check?) and other requirements (age, mileage, maintenance, condition) before getting the CPO, I'm wondering how true that is.
CPO is B.S.! My car was CPO, but had ton of problems afterwards... My GS400 was missing a speaker (tweeter) in driver side, amp was really messed up (making weird noises), car was shaking at over 80mph, only had only one Key to give me... and many many many more... on top of all this crap... when they serviced my car, they only offered a piece of crap Volvo as a loaner. (And they charged me for it, and then said they made a mistake, after I brought in my credit card statement) I had to take it in for service three times! And the dealership is like 65 miles from my home at the time. MAN if they weren't selling LEXUS I would never do business with them again. On top of all that, they had very bad service. When I sent in a very bad customer service survey, they contacted me a sent me a check for 100 dollars. This wasn't mearly enough for all the aggravation.
Old 02-06-03, 09:55 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 99 GS400 with 64K miles, plan to get a beater and try to keep this one for a while. I was always a huge fan of Nissan but I always had a lot of confidence in Toyota as well and believe these cars can hit 150K still feeling like new. I plan to do the 60K tuneup now and the timing belt/water pump at 90K.
Old 02-06-03, 10:15 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Man, do I ever agree...

When my wife and I were seeking a GS, we stopped at an independant dealer in Orlando, right across from the Manheim auction. They had a '98 GS4 that they had advertised on Traderonline. They listed the car with 48k miles and said it was a CPO.
When we saw the car in person, my wife and I were almost apoplectic; The car wasn't too great, with many scrapes and cosmetic problems I could fix for a few hundred, but the engine compartment was FILTHY, and I mean filthy. I asked the salesman if he was sure the car was a CPO car and he said it was. It looked as if no one had popped the hood of the car since it came off the assembly line, and it SURELY didn't appear to have any evidence human hands had recently been in and around the servicing parts of that engine bay. That's not all...during the test drive, we immediately had to stop for gas after a block. Turned car off, salesman gassed car up, I got back in, went to start it...cllliiiicccckkk..cliiiiicckkk. Dead battery. Wait , it gets better.
He calls a friend at the sales office, he comes by with a power pack quick start jumper. They try, it starts, idles a minute. DIES. Try again, same deal, this time I can smell burning rubber, a belt on AC compressor has seized. I was born at night, but not LAST night.
CPO my a$$.

So, my only conclusions;

1). They were lying to me about the CPO status, despite repeated affirmations to it's validity.
2). Lexus' standards for CPO title seriously leaves much to be desired. If so, they need to rethink the whole premise IMO.
Old 02-07-03, 10:56 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Right after I got my "CPO" inspected and certified 98 GS400, I noticed that the rear doors wouldn't activate the interior lights or reset the lock/alarm (if no doors opened within 30 secs, it locks even though the rear doors are opened). Turns out there's a TSB on this, and they didn't even bother to check. 9 months later, the battery died. Apparently the original battery was on its last legs. The dealer took care of both, but only because of the CPO's extended warranty.

Before I took the car off the lot, I checked the interior AC filter. Based on my RX's use, these filters can get overlooked and costly. Sure enough, it was filthy. They replaced it on the spot. Quality inspection. I have to say, the engine, interior and wheel wells were steamed cleaned and looked like new when I got the car. Must be better treatment than the previous posts, although looks aren't everything.
Old 02-08-03, 12:46 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Got my 99 GS300 with 60,001 miles. Drive home made it 60,147. Dealer said he couldn't cut me any slack on my warranty. Oh well. I drive like a fiend. Got the car in April of 2002 and I know have 77,000 miles on it. 17k in 6 months? Many road trips and I love to drive my friends around. Have had absolutely no problems. Just keep her running fresh by doing all fluid changes, etc. My favorite line from my friend's is, "Is your car even on?" -- I answer them by whipping their neck back
Old 02-08-03, 01:45 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by brendanlim
17k in 6 months? Many road trips and I love to drive my friends around.
Hey Brendan, that's a lot of driving! But I understand the feeling...I love packing the GS w/ some friends and heading to Vegas for the weekend.
Old 02-09-03, 12:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

INHOCJP-

Isn't your 60K service due? Depending on the dealer, it can cost from 1,000 to 1,300 in SF area. Its basically fluid, plugs and filter changes. Wait until you get to the 90K with the timing belt. Unless you go to an indie shop.
Old 02-09-03, 12:29 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Arty101
INHOCJP-

Isn't your 60K service due? Depending on the dealer, it can cost from 1,000 to 1,300 in SF area. Its basically fluid, plugs and filter changes. Wait until you get to the 90K with the timing belt. Unless you go to an indie shop.
Thanks for the advice, but I had my 60k service done a couple thousand miles ago. I actually always have my GS serviced in So. Cal., since I have a friend who's a master tech at a dealership. Great service and great prices!
Old 02-11-03, 10:02 AM
RI-GS4
Driver

Default mileage

Actually your mileage is accurate.

I have 40k on mine, but that because I store mine in the winter and only drive the car on the weekends 80% percent of the time during the spring and summer
Old 02-11-03, 05:45 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by INHOCJP
Thanks for the advice, but I had my 60k service done a couple thousand miles ago. I actually always have my GS serviced in So. Cal., since I have a friend who's a master tech at a dealership. Great service and great prices!
I wish I knew a good indie shop in the Bay Area. SF dealers are way expensive, although the service is good. I usually go to Serramonte Lexus since I think they do good work, and they charge on the average for dealers in the area.

Since my other car, RX is out of warranty, I'm looking for a shop that provide great service and great prices, and I don't need to have that cup of coffee or soda in the lounge.

Anybody know of any?