GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

An ode to a 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 06:35 PM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An ode to a 98 GS400

Many times people find their way to the internet to complain about a product or service, but I'd like to take a moment and express my satisfaction with my 1998 Lexus GS400. I have owned this car since 2009 when it had 88k miles. 5 years and many memorable trips later it has now just turned 170,000 miles. What a GREAT car it has been! It looks and drives every bit as good as it did when I bought it. What is even more amazing to me is that none of the major components/accessories have ever been replaced. That includes the starter, alternator, radiator, AC compressor, p/s pump, etc. All original from 16 years ago and working like a charm. The car has never broken down on me or required anything other than routine maintenance and a set of struts and ball joints at about 150k miles. Most all of the interior features and electronics still work with the exception of the stereo lcd screen and the power door lock on the passenger side door. I have driven this car from Florida to New Orleans and Massachusetts dozens of times (just did a round trip from Fla. to Mass. about 4 months ago) and more to come. I have used Penzoil Platinum 5w20 in it since I've had it, trans. fluid changes every 30k with Toyota fluid, did the timing belt and complete tune-up around 96k, but left the water pump as it was still in perfect working order. Yes folks, the water pump is still the original...but I WILL change it during the second t/belt change wether it needs it or not. The car is pearl white with grey interior. Options include an OEM spoiler, heated seats, Nakamich sound system and wood grain shift lever ****. The rims are the standard GS 16" wheels. I did have a set of RX330 rims on it for a while but went back to stock for the ride quality. The only "mod" I've done is a set of cross drilled rotors up front and K&N air filter. Otherwise it is entirely stock. Cosmetically it just needs the front bumper and hood repainted as they have gotten severely pitted from the highway. The original paint still shows beautifully. I just can't believe how gracefully this car has aged, how reliable it still is or how nice and solid it still runs/drives for being as old as it is. I hope everyone has had a similar experience with their GS! That is my rave for the evening. The name is Alex and I live in Orlando, Florida. Looking forward to finally joining an on line forum and sharing my trials and tribulations with this 2nd gen GS.

Last edited by GS498; 04-08-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-12-14, 05:31 AM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

what is a thread about a car without pictures? Sorry about that. Here she is in all of her (stock) glory:

Old 04-12-14, 01:18 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

82k+ miles in 5 years is crazy its nice to hear that the car has been good to you. Welcome to the club by the way.
Old 04-13-14, 08:12 AM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the welcome.

The car definitely does not sit. A lot of the miles are from the big road trips I've done in it...New Orleans (where I am originally from), Lowell, Mass. and York Beach, Maine being the most frequent. I'll be heading back up to York Beach in it in a couple of months for summer vacation. Cedar Point, Ohio is in the plans on that trip as well. At some point I'd like to take it to Yosimite National Park...that has been a "dream" road trip destination of mine in this car. So, yes, I love to travel and that is the primary reason I bought the car. At this point I am just anxious to see it turn 200k. I have never had a car make it this far so reliably.
Old 04-13-14, 09:00 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

GS498, these are my kind of threads! It's refreshing to see someone else on here enjoying the car for how it is straight from the factory. Be sure to snap pictures from each of your destination points!
Old 04-13-14, 01:56 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my gs400 too man. great post 8)
Old 04-13-14, 07:52 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

old faithfull
Old 04-14-14, 12:15 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I have taken long trips from TX to GA (800 miles one-way) plenty of times and have gone cost-country from East coast to the West coast in my GS, car has great road manners while being sporty, i'm often cruising 85-90mph with short burst of speed up to 130mph here and there.

I had an LS430 that I bought for traveling and its was best traveling car I ever had but I still prefer the GS over the LS because of its sporty nature in the GS. GS4 really pulls on the hwy.. The GS is legendary sedan for those who really knows cars..

Glad you're enjoying your car..
Old 04-14-14, 08:54 AM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

I have heard that the LS is a much quiter, smoother car than the GS, but the LS seemed so lifeless in comparison. I have not driven one, only sat in a few mid-late 90s models. The interiors didn't really look or feel any more luxurious than the GS...with the exception of a few extra doodads. Most of the controls and features were the same. The 4th(?) gens were MUCH improved (especially in regards to the interior), but they were out of my price range at the time. I will consider one next time around. My GS does have its share of road/wind noise on the highway, but I'm sure it was a lot quieter when it was new. As for the ride, I think the GS is an ideal blend of a plush yet firm ride without being boringly boaty and obnoxiously disconnected. I don't like to feel every expansion joint in the road through my spine like in a Honda, but I also don't want to feel like my wheels aren't even on the ground and my steering wheel is just a suggestion. The GS still leans more towards luxury cruiser than performance sedan with the stock suspension, but I really wouldn't want any more or less for the kind of driving that I like to do. A tad bit less wind noise perhaps, but I'm sure a new set of window seals would take care of that.
Old 04-14-14, 01:23 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The LS I had was an '05 w/ Ultra pkg. It was real nice, you can drive 600 miles and i felt like you did 200. The seats are better and it has 2 different lumbar adjustments with more adjustable ways than the GS. The LS is a tank, in a good way, its super smooth and quiet, especially with double pane windows and air suspension. The LS is awesome cruiser but my driving style, i often like to kick it above 120 every so often and the LS will do it but its not as quick to get up to speed cuz its a heavier car.

My GS's have been quiet, not as LS quiet. I don't have any wind noise (not that I can tell) though I have my radio jammin so its not really an Issue. The LS is quiet, sometimes I feel too quiet. The only plus to LS quiet is - If you had a long day at work and get into an LS, you will literally shut out the world. You want to look at 2004-2006 LS430's. This is probably the best LS Lexus ever produced. ( I wish I kept my LS430 ) Would have been a great 3rd car.

My '05 GS430, rides very smooth, very LS like. My '99 GS400 is less smooth. Its hard to explain but they look the same but they actually feel different. The GS430, is like a GS & LS in one car. The GS400 is more sporty feeling.

Your riding on 16's, 16's make the GS feel like a boat to me. I had a winter set 16" Lexus wheels on my GS and it was too floaty. 17's is a about perfect for a stock GS daily driving. My '99 is modded and I run 18's for better traction (wider and taller tires). The LS had 18's and it still rode great. In my opinion, the GS, won't come alive until you drive with atleast with 17's.. (The gearing 3.27 ratio in the GS4 works better with the 17's) The 16's tires is a larger diameter than the 17's and the car feels more sluggish and less quick. Try running with some 17's before thinking about an LS.

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 04-14-14 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 02:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

nice thread.... Glad your enjoying the GS
Old 04-14-14, 05:08 PM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

Don't get me wrong, The GS is still pretty darn quiet at highway speeds, it's just not "silent" by any stretch...as I've heard that the LS is (although I'm sure that a 98 LS is not nearly as quiet as it was when it was new...but is still likely quieter than my car). I do get some wind noise in the GS,
but I would agree that the noise levels are due to the age of the car. In any case, it is still very much a pleasurable car to be in.

I've had it up into the triple digits on many occasions and it was still impressivly smooth and planted. If I don't pay close attention or use the cruise control, it WILL creep up to illegal speeds faar too easily!