GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aerial Mast/Rope seperating

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 05:57 PM
Grangerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerial Mast/Rope seperating

Hi Guys,

So my oem (or what I assume is the original) mast/rope separated creating a delightful grinding noise every time i start the car. I purchased a replacement off ebay, pulled the old one out and put the new one in. Tested it, and it worked fine on the first three tests, then on the fourth it did the same thing; the rope disconnected from the mast.

Obviously there is some sort of sensor that indicates to the aerial motor when the rope has gone all the way in and can't go any further. Could this have lost sensitivity over time? If this is a problem as opposed to a weak mast/rope combo, i should probably fix that issue before putting in the replacement ebay item.

If anyone could shed any light, that'd be sweet.

Inb4 "you should have bought genuine", that's my next step if this don't work.

Thanks in advance,
Granger
Old 04-10-14, 07:03 PM
alex98098
Driver School Candidate

mfw you posted in the 2gs forum section. the 2gs doesn't have a motorized antenna...
Old 04-10-14, 07:32 PM
Grangerr
Driver School Candidate

mfw you haven't seen my car.

Australian delivered 2001 GS300 - They came with electric aerials, I would have thought that was universal, apparently not.
Old 04-10-14, 08:15 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

US cars don't have this. The antenna is in the rear window.
Old 04-10-14, 08:40 PM
Grangerr
Driver School Candidate

How annoying. The mast/rope I bought also fits RX300, LS400 ES250/300, SC300/400/430. Maybe I should post in those forums...

Here is where it sits on Aus delivered GSs:
Old 04-11-14, 08:40 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Grangerr
How annoying. The mast/rope I bought also fits RX300, LS400 ES250/300, SC300/400/430. Maybe I should post in those forums...
Unfortunately the majority of 2GS members have models without a power antenna. I suggest you search the forums for the models that use this antenna first before posting. Chances are someone else has already experienced and posted on this issue.
Old 04-11-14, 08:48 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

...is it bad that I kind of want a power antenna?
Old 04-12-14, 02:47 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also replaced the mast on my 2gs, had to take the whole antenna container apart...it is a pita. there is a sensor on the unit itself, i forgot to plug it in when i reassembled everything and then it did that nice plastic scratching sound...however, after i plugged the connector of the sensor back in, it worked fine. so check if that connector is in.
it is only 4 (or 2?) 10mm screws to get the whole unit out and then some more screws to get it apart...but it is glued with some terrible rtv..you get that stuff everywhere, so get some gloves.

Last edited by brainsurge; 04-12-14 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-13-14, 03:18 PM
Grangerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
Unfortunately the majority of 2GS members have models without a power antenna. I suggest you search the forums for the models that use this antenna first before posting. Chances are someone else has already experienced and posted on this issue.
Thanks, Champ, I know how to forum. I guess you assume most n00bs don't search. I did.

Unfortunately the CL search function will search EVERYTHING on this forum if you type in aerial. Adding GS, Gs300, GS400, 2nd gen or 2GS will all deliver different results, none of which had the same issue that I did/do. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Originally Posted by brainsurge
I also replaced the mast on my 2gs, had to take the whole antenna container apart...it is a pita. there is a sensor on the unit itself, i forgot to plug it in when i reassembled everything and then it did that nice plastic scratching sound...however, after i plugged the connector of the sensor back in, it worked fine. so check if that connector is in.
it is only 4 (or 2?) 10mm screws to get the whole unit out and then some more screws to get it apart...but it is glued with some terrible rtv..you get that stuff everywhere, so get some gloves.
I did all the same things you did, and yes, that RTV is THE WORST. How does something 13 years old stay so sticky? Anyway, I did plug my sensor back in, but I didn't give it a full clean-out when I replaced the eBay mast/rope and apparently giving it a wipe helps the sensor work better, so that's my plan when I obtain the new one.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-14-14, 06:38 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Thanks, Champ, I know how to forum. I guess you assume most n00bs don't search. I did.
No assumptions, just suggestions based on the information provided. Had you said you searched the other forums the suggestion would not have been made.

Unfortunately the CL search function will search EVERYTHING on this forum if you type in aerial. Adding GS, Gs300, GS400, 2nd gen or 2GS will all deliver different results, none of which had the same issue that I did/do. Feel free to prove me wrong though.
"Unfortunately the CL search function will search EVERYTHING" is not entirely accurate. If you use the Advanced search you can specify which sub forum to search. This is more effective the adding to the GS, Gs300, GS400, 2nd gen or 2GS to the keyword search field. Also in addition to "aerial" try antenna as well.

Just more suggestions based on information provided. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Aerial Mast/Rope seperating-snap-2014-04-14-at-06.17.35.png   Aerial Mast/Rope seperating-snap-2014-04-14-at-06.22.23.png  
Old 04-14-14, 08:10 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"Unfortunately the CL search function will search EVERYTHING" is not entirely accurate. If you use the Advanced search you can specify which sub forum to search.p:
I read out of his post, that he did search the gs forum only AND the posts he found did not match his problem...

but however...back to the problem,
how did you insert the mast? on mine the normal insertion did not work and because i had to do it alone, i ended up using a small 12v battery and feeding the antenna motor directly to it.
did you clean the internals of the casing and put some lube on the mast?
Old 04-14-14, 09:50 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
I read out of his post, that he did search the gs forum only AND the posts he found did not match his problem...
Correct . This is why I suggested he NOT search only the GS forum only but rather search the forums of other models that have power antennas (which HE himself listed) since they are more likely to have information on this type of issue then the 2GS forum where almost everyone has the rear window mounted antenna.

Perhaps the two words I added in red below would have made my suggestion more clear to the OP had I added then to my initial reply.

Unfortunately the majority of 2GS members have models without a power antenna. I suggest you search the forums for the models that use this antenna first before posting [in them]. Chances are someone else has already experienced and posted on this issue.
Old 04-15-14, 09:36 PM
Grangerr
Driver School Candidate

Cheers Lexus Brothers. No harm done, and thank you for suggestions.

I did lube the rope and mast, but I don't think I cleaned out the unit enough. When the new mast/rope arrives I will pull it apart entirely and give it a full clean with electrical safe cleaner.

I inserted as per the normal way, turned the car on and inserted the rope. Like i said, it all worked fine for the first three times, then it bailed on life.
Old 04-16-14, 09:36 AM
rofflehous
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we just call this what it is? A power antenna....... Aerial mast, good lord.
Old 04-16-14, 09:39 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

lol. ..............

Quick Reply: Aerial Mast/Rope seperating