GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03 | 10:06 AM
JDZ25
Driver

Wow, even if it is not the new GS, at least it is a better looking than that photoshopped one that was floating around for awhile.
Old 02-14-03 | 11:44 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusPride
call me a pessimist, but I still find it hard to believe that a hybrid AWD GS will only cost $1500 more. Why ? Well, for starters the only real diff. between the 430 and the 300 is the engine, meaning if you get a stripped 430 it will STILL cost around $7k more. I could see if you said that the hybrid would only get RWD, but the AWD is a bonus over the RWD, and the hybrid will have it and an extra 60hp for, again...only $1500. AWD in Boston, more hp and 20 more mpg ?? for a little more than a grand ?? I just hope it comes even close to that.
I am thinking that with a hybrid, you don't get both the mpg increase and the hp increase at the same time. The electric motor that supplies the additional power will drain it's limited storage source if you stand on it all the time. So you get "occasional" 300 hp.

Also, at 40mpg your car will not be putting out 300hp (it would be considerably less). So, it's a compromise (or an advantage), depending on the situation. If you're thinking that you're going to be passing corvettes while getting 40mpg, think again. It's like the saying goes: "You can have it quick, cheap and good quality. Now, just pick any 2 out of the 3 choices".

$1500 sounds too good to be true, agreed, but as someone already mentioned Lexus's base price is very misleading as it is impossible to find a 'base' vehicle without any other packages, which add more money.
Old 02-22-03 | 03:11 PM
ACLC
Driver School Candidate

Check out the lexus web site and look under archived videos...RX hybrid video. It states that the hybrid engine will give V8 power (i.e. GS 430 power, or more?) and can obtain AWD. Also the video mentions that the hybrid engine will be in dealerships in approximately 2 yrs.
Old 04-26-04 | 12:03 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New GS Info

Originally posted by RNM GS3
Just came home from a preview of the RX330 at the Bayridge dealership. I spoke to a guy from lexus corporate (not from the dealership).

He confirmed a lot of the stuff that we already know about the new GS. He said it will most likely be out in August or early fall of 2004 as a 2005 model. It will have many engine options. The new engine will be a 3.5L V-6 derived from the new engine in the RX.

This new engine will also be used in the hybrid model that will have 300hp :eek: and get about 40mpg. He said the hybrid option will only cost about $1500 more then the regular V6. The hybrid model will only come with AWD. He said this will be a revolutionary system developed by lexus where the hybrid engine works together with the AWD system. This system is a few years ahead of the hybrid systems of all the other car companies.

The other engine option will be the V8. He did not specify if the engine will be the same or brand new but he said it will be more then 300hp and it will serve as the high performance model in the GS lineup.

The New GS will have an optional sport tuned suspension and the handling will be much better overall.

He also confirmed that lexus will not compete with BMW's M and MB's AMG divisions. That is not the target market for Lexus at this point. But lexus will offer more performance inspired cars, as will be seen with the new GS and IS models.

Finally he confirmed that nobody knows what the new GS looks like except for the people actually involved in creating the car. He did mention the styling will be similar to the Bentley GT (2 door) concept car, but nobody really knows of the final outcome. Ihope Lexus creates another beauty to follow the gen 1 and 2 GS.

All i know is the new GS will be a GREAT car, I cant wait for it to come out already.
I'm starting to wonder, the new GS isnt due out until sometime in 2005. Thats over a yr b/w the release at NAIAS, and sale. Why would Lexus hand out the specs to the competition that early? IMO something just isnt adding up.

And Lexus did add a long hybrid section to their webpage.
http://www.lexus.com/models/hybrid/o...rformance.html
07 Tundra and RX400h (end of 04 3.3L 270hp) are verified hybrids.

I need to get back to my lab, and yup this thread has been bumped.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 04-26-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-26-04 | 02:47 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

lol...well I wasn't here in Feb '03, but I think this qualfies as 'back from the grave'. It does have a good question in it though...will the hybrid be 'moddable'? I'm not sure that's a powertrain I'd want to be messing with, personally, but I'm sure several here know a lot more than I!

Last edited by 04GS300; 04-26-04 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-26-04 | 12:58 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

damn this is old
Attached Thumbnails New GS Info-old-thread.jpg  
Old 04-26-04 | 04:10 PM
hawk
Driver

Originally posted by T.L.W.
damn this is old
Old 04-26-04 | 06:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New GS Info

Originally posted by RNM GS3
Just came home from a preview of the RX330 at the Bayridge dealership. I spoke to a guy from lexus corporate (not from the dealership).

He confirmed a lot of the stuff that we already know about the new GS. He said it will most likely be out in August or early fall of 2004 as a 2005 model. It will have many engine options. The new engine will be a 3.5L V-6 derived from the new engine in the RX.

This new engine will also be used in the hybrid model that will have 300hp :eek: and get about 40mpg. He said the hybrid option will only cost about $1500 more then the regular V6. The hybrid model will only come with AWD. He said this will be a revolutionary system developed by lexus where the hybrid engine works together with the AWD system. This system is a few years ahead of the hybrid systems of all the other car companies.

The other engine option will be the V8. He did not specify if the engine will be the same or brand new but he said it will be more then 300hp and it will serve as the high performance model in the GS lineup.

The New GS will have an optional sport tuned suspension and the handling will be much better overall.

He also confirmed that lexus will not compete with BMW's M and MB's AMG divisions. That is not the target market for Lexus at this point. But lexus will offer more performance inspired cars, as will be seen with the new GS and IS models.

Finally he confirmed that nobody knows what the new GS looks like except for the people actually involved in creating the car. He did mention the styling will be similar to the Bentley GT (2 door) concept car, but nobody really knows of the final outcome. Ihope Lexus creates another beauty to follow the gen 1 and 2 GS.

All i know is the new GS will be a GREAT car, I cant wait for it to come out already.
Wow, i posted this over a year ago. I thought the new GS would def be out already. lol.......I got good info from that guy from Lexus.